Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip for flatter, more accurate seams >

Tip for flatter, more accurate seams

Tip for flatter, more accurate seams

Old 07-29-2017, 02:22 PM

Default Tip for flatter, more accurate seams

Hello everyone,
Many of you probably already know this tip and I probably even read it here...but I thought I would pass on my experience. As I've been quilting much more in the past year or two, I have been increasingly dissatisfied with lumpy ridges where my seams are. I read about using a lighter weight thread, but didn't pay much attention until recently. I finally broke down and ordered a couple of spools of Presencia 60 wt cotton thread, and Boy does it make a difference! My seams are much flatter and I'm getting better accuracy when matching points, just with changing that one thing!! Who knew that the thread could make That Much difference, but it has. Just wanted to put my recommendation out there for anyone else thinking about trying it. Just wish someone would carry it locally...It seems that I'm always wanting something that the local shops just don't carry and have to order online (usually thread and batting!)

Happy sewing!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-29-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 07-29-2017, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

It really is amazing the difference thread can make. Not only in piecing but in quilting too. Thanks for posting this testimonial.

I haven't tried Presencia yet but have heard great things. I usually piece with 60 wt bottom line in my bobbin and 50 wt two ply aurifil in the top.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:06 PM

This is valuable info-- thanks for sharing!
Old 07-29-2017, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

Oh yes, thanks for the tip!!!
Old 07-29-2017, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

60 wt is pretty thin. I wonder how the quilt will hold up over time....
Old 07-29-2017, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

I am curious about how strong 60wt thread is. That is very fine. My experience has found 50wt aurifil to be a really nice for piecing. I would try a pull test to see how easy or tough it is to break the 60wt. You can also spin you intersecting seams. Find a tutorial in the Quiltville site on FB. The thread does make quite a difference.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

Goodness I usually piece with 70wt poly thread top and bobbin. I haven't had a problem with thread breakage at all. The quilts I made for my DGD when she was little are still together just fine although a little faded from washing so much. She's 20 now. 60wt is probably as as thick as I would use to piece. I have a lot of Aurifil 50wt 2ply so it's thinner then 50 wt 3 ply but not as strong as the 70wt poly. Thread education takes a lot of practice.

I think I have spool of every brand and type of thread available. I emailed every brand asking for spool samples to try. Some are free , some cost but less then a regular spool, some sent only for postage. I really like the new 80 wt and 100 wt thread for machine quilting.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-29-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

The 50wt Aurifil is a 2-ply thread. Presencia 60wt is 3-ply. Strength is not simply a factor of weight, but also of ply. A fine thread can be just as strong or even stronger than a thick thread. I find both Aurifil and Presencia plenty strong enough for piecing, given a moderate amount of quilting. Quilting takes stress off the piecing seams. It may be that tied quilts and quilts with quilting lines far apart require a stronger piecing thread in order to take the additional stress without breaking.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:47 PM

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.