Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tip for keeping blocks in order

Blog Entries
    I take pictures, with a digital camera,when I am trying to decide on the various arrangements of blocks

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    I use a piece of flannel on the bed, lay out my blocks the way I want them then, roll from the bottom. When ready to sew, unroll first row, sew, put back sewn row, unroll second and so on. Again starting from the top,sew 1st to 2nd, and so on. Works for me.
    I really like your idea! I am going to try this one!
    Thanks,
    Linda58

I saw a tip in a quilting magazine to use address labels. I get lots of them in the mail, and it's a good way to use them up since there's not much snail mail leaving my house!

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
    Probably this is nothing new to most of you, but it might help those like me who don't have a whole lot of experience. Once you have finished the individual blocks and arranged them in an order that pleases you, take a picture with a digital camera and print out the pic. Keep it where you can see it as you sew together your blocks. I did this after unpicking the seam putting together the first two blocks with one upside down!
    I have also found that if I am sewing away from home ( we have a group that meets at our church) that the camera function of my cell phone is helpful for this also, even though you can't print out the pic!

I take pics when I have it laid out. It's amazing how the camera will show you when a block is not right! The last quilt I did that with got changed 4 times before I was happy with it.

I use a flannel backed table cloth. I hang it on the wall and put my quilt squares on it.
    I take one row off at a time then hang the sewn row up on the board again to recheck what I have done.
    I like the idea of a picture because one times the blocks fall off.
    I like the fact that I have to get up to get the next row. It gives me time to stretch out a bit.
    I also use safety pins to signify the top and which row it is. I use one for the first two for the second and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by scrapcollector
    I do mine same and similar to lots of others, when I lay out the blocks, I label each block with piece of masking tape. If it's row 1---- then I put 1-1,1-2,1-3, and so on. As in row 1 block 1, row 1 block 2

Then row 2 2-1, 2-2,and so on. I put tape in top left corner. But make sure to remove all but your row 1 1st block trape before ironing. The tape can leave a residue that won't come off, if you don't.

The tape on row one, block one on top left corner tells you where the top corner is all the way thru. Make sense?
    If you use the blue painters tape it will not leave residue

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    I use an Excel spreadsheet. I make the cells at a size that will work. I can "color" in the cells and also use an icon to tell me if that square is a plaid, flower, print, check, or stripe. I also put a note in as to where the fabric came from, i.e. purchased, Grandma's scrap box, etc.
    I can move the blocks around also.

I used my camera for the same purpose recently and it was a great idea. And, somehow, I could see things differently on the photo (and computer screen) than I saw when the blocks were laid out....and noticed that one block was turned the wrong way. Save me from some un-sewing time.

I always use the digital camera idea....sometimes I don't even have to print out the pics.
    I use the painters tape idea, also, when necessary.

I sew together them as I finish them to confusing to do it any other way.

Probably this is nothing new to most of you, but it might help those like me who don't have a whole lot of experience. Once you have finished the individual blocks and arranged them in an order that pleases you, take a picture with a digital camera and print out the pic. Keep it where you can see it as you sew together your blocks. I did this after unpicking the seam putting together the first two blocks with one upside down!
    I also print out the quilt before I quilt it and I can draw out designs before I get started to see how it looks and kind of give me a "road map' of where I'm going!

I like this idea! I have 'senior moments' and then get confused about what it is I had decided to do. This would keep me in line for sure! Thanks

Wish I would have done that on one of my quilts. It was the very center block that I didn't like where is was. So...my ripper was my best friend that day. Good idea.

The picture is an excellent suggestion. I will try this next time.

Power Poster
    I think it is always a good idea to post useful hints on the board because there are always new and old quilters who can appreciate helpful hints from others. It is like always being able to ask questions when you don't know something and not having to feel embarrassed about asking. This is how we all learn and will continue to learn during our life time.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    That's a good idea. I have been using post-it notes.
    I use post it's also. The stack the blocks in rows (A, B, C) I don't like the wall board. Have an expensive one and have problems with fabric sticking to it. Also, the quilt I am working on now I wouldn't be able to take a picture of because the sides are fabric from the squares that you put with other blocks to mix it up, and I want to see the finished blocks before I choose the pattern for the sides. Otherwise, the picture sounds practical. Thanks for the idea.

You ladies all have such GREAT ideas! I am so happy to have found and become a member of this forum!

TreeFrog

Love all the great ideas.
    Thank you to all

I found these neat flexiable plastic square that keep each row and block number . Example Row 1 Block 1 Row 1 Block 2 etc you can mark 7 rows and 7 blocks across. They have a hole in the center and you just push the material through with you finder and place the pin which keeps it in place. And I think that Fons and Porter have a similar system. I love mine. I am sorry that I don't know who makes them. But I do love the photo idea too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laureneberhard
    I use flat head flower pins and use a sharpie and write numbers on the head and pin to each block. Very easy to pull out all the pins when I'm done. (Yes, there are already numbered pins out there, but I think they are way too expensive)
    I did the same thing. Worked great.

Blog Entries
    I also use my digital camera to take pic. of the quilt layout. I particularly like doing this when I am working on a large quilt and want to make a certain pattern, star, etc. I have been doing this for some time now. I can look through the camera and see where some errors are before I snap the photo. This is so handy when you aren't just sure how you want to arrange the blocks, and especially if you have to pick them up a work on them later. I have also numbered them along with the pic. works as good as a design wall.

I use the little sticky dots that you use for pricing garage sale items. They come in bright colors. I always put the dot on the upper left side. If it is a complicated layout, I put a dot on each block where the seam will meet.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all for the tips. God bless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2