Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shipping and Handling

I had some misc yarn and needles and sewing basket and sewing supplies I no longer needed and decided to sell then here on the forum. I tried to price them low as I knew one would have to pay shipping and handling also.
    I was so surprised when I went to see what it would cost to ship it and it was over 60$ I think S&H has got out of hand. I am going to check for one more lady who lives a little closer than the others who wanted it and didn't want to pay 60$ for shipping (which I don't blame them) and if it is still too much I am going to find someone near me that I could take it to. I am so upset that the nicest people on here who wanted it I couldn't get it to them at a reasonable price.
    Sorry just had to vent

Blog Entries
    hey,i feel the same, i go to send something and get a $14 bill for a few items. it's outpo f hand alright

That's a shame, especially when most are on such a tight budget. I'm sure they appreciated the time and effort you took to get it to them as cheap as possible. Sorry it didn't work out in the end.

And they say the Post Office is broke and raising their prices the first of the year! What out then!!!

Power Poster
    How heavy and/or bulky is your package?

Where was it going to?

That really seems unreasonable. (unless you were looking at overnight express mail)

the stuff won't fit in a flat rate box?
    what burns me up is to pay shipping on a pattern, usually $3, when I get it it has a $1.85 stamp on it!

That is a bit ridiculous. Were you looking to ship it out of the country? Or Priority or Express mail service?

If it is in the US, try FedEx or UPS. For heavier items, their rates are far better and they both include tracking and insurance up to a point. For home delivery, their rates start at about $12 or so. If the USPS rates are higher than that, then I would use FedEx or UPS.

I would definately look into the flat rate boxes. I think you can ship up to 70 lbs. As long as you can get it in and tape it shut it goes. I send lots of stuff like this to my kids out of state.

I think because it was so bulky It had a frame for hand quilting and a large sewing box and lots of yarn and misc stuff the box was rather large to get all of it in. I live in Texas and the people who wanted it lived up North so it had to go quite aways. I checked all the different ways and believe it or not this was the cheapest.

My church ships clothing to the Appalachians and everytime it is cheaper for us to ship through Fed Ex

I will check into fed ex. Thanks for the info jaylee.

Quote Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    And they say the Post Office is broke and raising their prices the first of the year! What out then!!!
    I'm not attacking , just using her post to vent. Thanks for reading this.

We are a postal family. I try to stay quiet most of the time because I know alot of people have had some bad experiences with the postal service. That said I do want to say that the good old USPS is broke. Revenue is down. The big businesses that contribute most of the delivery mail are not sending out mail to customers. Alot of people no longer use the USPS to pay their bills. When you don't use a service their costs don't decline they actually increase to make up for the shortage.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you want your costs tostay down. Use to USPS more often for everyday mail. Where else in the world can you send a letter 3 thousand miles for only 44 cents? If you have a loved one overseas in the military and you mail them something to an APO address that same 44 cents still gets it there for you. 44 cent stamps are still the cheapest in the world

I really watch for free shipping when I buy online and take advantage of it whenever I can. If it means combining orders with my friends, so be it. I hate to see how much it is going to cost me to ship the downey quilts back as there are 12 of them in a pretty good sized box. I think they have all gone nuts with shipping. Also, be really careful on ebay. Some sellers lower the price on an item and then charge you outrageous shipping. I've had that happen.

Blog Entries
    i don't know what the packages measurements or weight are, so i don't know whether or not to agree that the cost is high.

i do know that steaming about it here isn't going to change anything.

also, we forget to sit down and think about how much it would cost us to take something to the destination ourselves. (double that, of course, because you have to get home again.)

just because we don't like the cost of something, it isn't automatically unfair. it's just more than we want to pay.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzan Larrimore
    Where else in the world can you send a letter 3 thousand miles for only 44 cents? 44 cent stamps are still the cheapest in the world
    My thoughts exactly!

I mailed a small package to a person living 10 miles from me, because I did not want to drive there, I knew I'd have to spend at least an hour visiting with the person once there, and it was quick and easy to stick the items in a flat rate box and hand it to the postman and be done with it.

What you say is very true. We do get a lot for .44.
    Many years ago my mom accidently dropped the envelope with her social security money in it in a drop box with some letters. When she realized what had happened the next morning she callled me in tears asking if I would go to the P.O. near my house where she had done this to see if anything could be done. I explained what had happened but was told the mail from the night before had been picked up. They took her info and said they would make some calls but didn't offer much else. Later that day Mom recieved a call from the central P.O. Someone had found the envelope and turned it in to the superviser. She had to drive there (about 45 min. away)to get it . The money was all there.
    I always think of this when I hear gripes about the post office.

I did not intend to offend anyone I just would of loved to get the stuff to these ladies as they seemed to have really wanted them, but didn't have a lot of money. I do not ship very many things so I am very new to this. I am very sorry if I said something out of line

Quote Originally Posted by SherryLea
    I did not intend to offend anyone I just would of loved to get the stuff to these ladies as they seemed to have really wanted them, but didn't have a lot of money. I do not ship very many things so I am very new to this. I am very sorry if I said something out of line
    SherryLea, I took no offense with you at all. I was venting about people in general knocking the post office. I guess because I'm part of the postal family I'm a little sensitive. I'm very sorry I did not mean to hurt you.

Blog Entries
    ooook, group hug ... a chorus of kumbaya ...

pass the s'mores, please

back to the fun! :-) ;-)

Thank You I know how bad the economy is right now and how hard the post office has been hit with the internet so I do understand. I wasn't hurt just don't want to ever hurt anyones feelings on this forum as this is the greatest bunch of people I have ever known. I am gong to the post office Tuesday and see what the flat rate box looks like and see if maybe 2 boxes sent this way would be cheaper than one box ups. Thanks Again
    Hugs to All

Quote Originally Posted by Suzan Larrimore
    Quote Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    I'm not attacking , just using her post to vent. Thanks for reading this.

We are a postal family. I try to stay quiet most of the time because I know alot of people have had some bad experiences with the postal service. That said I do want to say that the good old USPS is broke. Revenue is down. The big businesses that contribute most of the delivery mail are not sending out mail to customers. Alot of people no longer use the USPS to pay their bills. When you don't use a service their costs don't decline they actually increase to make up for the shortage.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you want your costs tostay down. Use to USPS more often for everyday mail. Where else in the world can you send a letter 3 thousand miles for only 44 cents? If you have a loved one overseas in the military and you mail them something to an APO address that same 44 cents still gets it there for you. 44 cent stamps are still the cheapest in the world
    It costs me 47cents to mail a letter with the United States Postal Service. Is it different elsewhere?

Power Poster
    I bought a food scale that weighs up to four pounds in 0.1 ounce increments. It seems to be accurate within 0.1 ounce - so it's really worth while to use for guesstimating a shipping cost.

It's also worth the time (in many cases) to check usps and ups and fedex to compare the costs.

I usually use usps because it's the closest drop-off site to my home.

This is a good opportunity to learn a bit more about different professions.

There are all those costs we don't see -

Blog Entries
    How about Media rate?

Mail can't go media rate unless it is media....and...if there is anything included in the same package that is not media, it can't go media. If you do use Fedex or UPS, go to one of their locations, not a postal service that offers Fedex or UPS...you pay a higher rate there...even for stamps etc., because they have to make money on it too.

You might look into shipping heavy or big boxes by bus. I shipped some sewing machines by Greyhound it was much cheaper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast