Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shipping and Handling >

Shipping and Handling

Shipping and Handling

Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Suzan Larrimore
Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
And they say the Post Office is broke and raising their prices the first of the year! What out then!!!
I'm not attacking , just using her post to vent. Thanks for reading this.

We are a postal family. I try to stay quiet most of the time because I know alot of people have had some bad experiences with the postal service. That said I do want to say that the good old USPS is broke. Revenue is down. The big businesses that contribute most of the delivery mail are not sending out mail to customers. Alot of people no longer use the USPS to pay their bills. When you don't use a service their costs don't decline they actually increase to make up for the shortage.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you want your costs tostay down. Use to USPS more often for everyday mail. Where else in the world can you send a letter 3 thousand miles for only 44 cents? If you have a loved one overseas in the military and you mail them something to an APO address that same 44 cents still gets it there for you. 44 cent stamps are still the cheapest in the world
It costs me 47cents to mail a letter with the United States Postal Service. Is it different elsewhere?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

I bought a food scale that weighs up to four pounds in 0.1 ounce increments. It seems to be accurate within 0.1 ounce - so it's really worth while to use for guesstimating a shipping cost.

It's also worth the time (in many cases) to check usps and ups and fedex to compare the costs.

I usually use usps because it's the closest drop-off site to my home.

This is a good opportunity to learn a bit more about different professions.

There are all those costs we don't see -
Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 AM

How about Media rate?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:49 PM

Mail can't go media rate unless it is media....and...if there is anything included in the same package that is not media, it can't go media. If you do use Fedex or UPS, go to one of their locations, not a postal service that offers Fedex or UPS...you pay a higher rate there...even for stamps etc., because they have to make money on it too.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:58 PM

You might look into shipping heavy or big boxes by bus. I shipped some sewing machines by Greyhound it was much cheaper
Old 09-06-2010, 01:14 PM

Folks in the continental US have what I think are the best shipping rates and options in the world. I can certainly understand why something might seem high because you're generally accustomed to low, reasonable rates.
I live in a rural area and we shop quite a bit on-line so pay shipping all the time. International shipping is a killer, in or out of the country. I've paid more in shipping than the value of the item simply to have something not otherwise available.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:46 PM

I have absolutely no complaints about the postal service or any of its employees. I live in a very rural area in the middle of the forest and I know for certain that if my mail carrier were to find yesterday's mail still in my box when he delivered today's, he would immediately notify the chief of police and someone would come to see if I was okay.

I have never not had my mail delivered due to weather conditions...blizzards, ice storms, unplowed roads, or washouts. They find a way to get it done. These people are neighbors first and foremost and each and every one of them works their tail off. Like other local workers, I will continue to do my part to help them keep their jobs by supporting the businesses they work for.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:46 PM

You all have the world's best postal deal in flat rate packages!
I wish we had flat rate packages here! I mailed some fabric to someone in Kentucky and I think it cost $11. I mailed some fabric to a board member here in Canada about the same distance away and although her package was lighter it cost me $13. Go figure.
Here in Canada if it isn't in an envelope that fits through a small slot, it's a parcel and charged by weight, destination, and dimension of packaging.
I'd be a post office hound if I had access to flat rate!
And Sherry, I saw the items you had for sale. Even at $60.00 for shipping, the buyer would have been getting a darn good deal!
Very generous of you. I almost thought about PM'ing you, but I was pretty sure it would cost over $100 to get it to Canada LOL.
Happy quilting, all!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I bought a food scale that weighs up to four pounds in 0.1 ounce increments. It seems to be accurate within 0.1 ounce - so it's really worth while to use for guesstimating a shipping cost.

It's also worth the time (in many cases) to check usps and ups and fedex to compare the costs.

I usually use usps because it's the closest drop-off site to my home.

This is a good opportunity to learn a bit more about different professions.

There are all those costs we don't see -
If you go to USPS site, you can print a label and arrange for pick-up service.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:05 PM

If the rates for stamps are going up again, just buy some forever stamps, they have no price on them and will cover the extra 2 or 3 cents it goes up. Still lucky and glad for the postal service, still compared to some reasonibly priced.