Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

No the dust isn't going anywhere. It is a protective coat and ask others not to disturb it.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

To change the shape you just need to shift the blocks to the side. I think you are doing great with them. Bow big are you planningto go? You don't need to use all the blocks. If you use half you can get two very different looking ones out of it.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
Here's my attempt with a first layout.My first impression is that this is too long and narrow. The blocks are on a heavy flannel pad lengthwise on a bed. Now, I need to make this more compact like a 4 by 5 block rectangle.

I would appreciate your suggestions. Thank you:-)
I don't know if it matters, but there is also a border to be added that will change the shape a bit. How big are your hexagons? (Just curious ... <g>) You have a lot of variety in your quilt ... very pretty ... as are ALL of the quilters working on this project/technique. <wave>
Old 02-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

Ooooo that is a gorgeous layout :D:D:D I love the differences in all of the blocks :D:D:D

Change in plans for my quilt....:roll:
I THOUGHT that these were from the same collection...but where I have them hanging, and natural sunlight coming in the door made it blaringly appear that I was so WRONG!!! The greens do not play well together at all :( The other pinks/maroons match though LOL... So it will have to be two separate quilts for me...but I am going to try and find another lighter fabric to use with the darker one, to help lighten it up...so that one may have to sit for a while until I can find the right play mate for it :D:D:D
Old 02-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Thank you for your help. DH and I made some changes and here are pictures taken in daylight. It will be one quilt to be a table cover or wall hanging. I had 3" strips so the hexagons are fairly large. The repeat was about 23" and I used both sides of the original strips. We replaced some blocks with others ending up using 94 blocks and having 8 leftovers. Very little waste in my estimation:-)

This has been such a fun project and I've learned so much from you, Cutebuns. Everyone observing and commenting has been encouraging and informative. I will be playing with the sewing machine later this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-14859.jpe   attachment-14860.jpe   attachment-14861.jpe  
Old 02-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

That is awesome, and the 8 blocks can be made into a wall hanging or trivets or something else, they are a great shape for that. It is looking awesome,

It really has been a group effort and a lot of fun, I can't wait to see and do more, I am going to try to get more of mine together today, I also have more to do in the way of cleaning and my room is about to be rearranged a bit,
Old 02-20-2010, 01:37 PM

HI Kay, very,very, lovely. Blue is my favourite color.A lot of blues and pinks in my house It looks great
Old 02-20-2010, 01:50 PM

I still need to read thru the thread and see what's going on, but also wanted to post. I'm DONE sewing blocks and starting my layout. What do you think? How can I make this a stunner? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and suggestions!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-14787.jpe   attachment-14788.jpe  
Old 02-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Oh my goodness! This is just too funny not to share with you. I was tired and hadn't gone back into the sewing area since late last evening. I just discovered twelve blocks on my big pressing board. Whoopee! :-) I originally thought I had done well over a hundred blocks, but had spent my time in the guest room laying out the design..... That's equivalent to one more row along the width:-) I love it!!!
Had I discovered them prior to my nap, I would have been disgusted with myself.....
Old 02-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

I like the second picture better than the first. Keep moving them until you are totally happy or just plain fed up moving them, keep taking pictures and standing back and looking at what stands out and what needs to blend a bit more,

That is awesome that you found some more blocks Kay. That is a happy surprise, a nap usually does me well, today I am not lucky enough to get one