Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 02-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

so to clarify some things when I am working on my strips,

I stick a pin on the end that I am starting at to identify it, it is easy to get them turned around, and some times matching them back up is hard as they tend to blend pretty good once you start sewing them, and then I pin the rest of the strip, now if you have small blocks this may be hard, you may have to do one or two at a time,

I like to work on more than one strip of pieces at a time so I put two pins in the end of the second identifying it as such,

one pin
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9291[/ATTACH]

two pins
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9292[/ATTACH]

two strips all pinned
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9293[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-9291.jpe   attachment-9292.jpe   attachment-9293.jpe  
Old 02-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

as the pile of strips grow I hope that you can see how it all starts blending together, matching the actual blocks up isn't as easy as it sounds,
Attached Thumbnails attachment-9295.jpe  
Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

I am going to empty up a wall enough to lay the whole thing out...I can see where it would be easy to get them mixed up :roll: and if there is a way to do that, I will find it LOL
Thank you for all of the tips and hints on how to lay out our blocks and keep track of them while sewing :D:D:D
I can't wait to get back to sewing my blocks together and I can catch up to you all :D:D:D
Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 PM

I have 63 blocks assembled and cut in to the other half of the fabric split lengthwise. I had hesitated to cut up the other half until I had an idea of how many hexagons I would need for a table topper or lap quilt. My strips have been cut three inches wide.

So far, I have started to stack my blocks in groups according to color as you demonstrated at the beginning of this thread. You are giving us so much encouragement and clear directions that this is fun!

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart :-)
Old 02-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

I am glad people are having a fun time, it can be very entertaining watching the whole thing come together, I am never quiet sure what I will get when I start. I have learned a few things like how hard some times it is to match especially when they are set properly. It is also hard to gage how much fabric exactly as it depends on how big or small you cut as well to how big it will be in the end, figure I can boarder it to make the size I would like it.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:14 PM

OK, now I am getting really scared. For sure I will mix them all up. Glad I am still moving blocks around and not sewing them together yet. Your pictures are certainly a help as well as your very clear instructions. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

Hense the use of the pins at the ends to show where they go, I started that as I had mixed them up and was spending more time sortin them and trying to match them. pin, this is one time where I will tell you to use pins, I usually don't pin anything and this is the exception, I pin.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:52 AM

Cutebuns - I figured it was time to register so I could thank you for all of your help! I've had the book for quite some time but never had the nerve to actually start a OBW. I understood how it was done and saw one in progress but always thought I'll try this later. I've been following these threads and actually got some fabric and started cutting! I don't think my fabric has the contrast I want, but it works for another project and the price was right.
After reading these threads and the book, I decided to cut my strips 3-1/2 inches. It was an 8 inch repeat, so I used 2 repeats per section. I cut half left to right, and the rest right to left so they would all be different.
I'm getting ready to go on vacation for 3 weeks so what the heck am I doing starting a new project???!!!LOL
I'm in the 'quick reply' box' - how do I attach a pic??
Thanks again and it's great to see what everyone is doing.

My first OBW so far
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9757[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-9757.jpe  
Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 AM

I moved more around every time I woke up during the night, but this morning I've begun pinning the strips together and am numbering them, beginning on the left and small safety pinning that number to the top end of the strip. I'm not an overachiever, I'm just aware of my limitations so I mark down on notes to remind myself about a layout or placement it really helps me concentrate on the way I'm supposed to go.. :oops:
Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by mimisharon
I moved more around every time I woke up during the night, but this morning I've begun pinning the strips together and am numbering them, beginning on the left and small safety pinning that number to the top end of the strip. I'm not an overachiever, I'm just aware of my limitations so I mark down on notes to remind myself about a layout or placement it really helps me concentrate on the way I'm supposed to go.. :oops:
no reason to be :oops: it isn't about being able to be as accomplished as someone else, it is about finding your style and making it work for you. I think you are doing a grand job! <wave>