Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tip: Use a comb to find those pins

I too go barefoot. I was brought up running around without shoes unless I was going somewhere. My husband is just the opposite. He will put on his shoes just to walk across the room! Hardwood floors would be nice, I currently have carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Homemother
    I made a discovery when I spilled my container of straight pins on the floor. You all know how easy it is to pick up pins!!! Along with the pins, I also knocked a comb on the floor and they were in the same area. Well, I started using the comb to sweep the pins in a pile then continued to pick up the pins.

Once the pins were in their container, I used the comb to sweep through the carpet fibers and found many pins down in the carpet! Since I sew barefoot, I combed the rest of the carpet within stepping distance from my machine and found more! How many of you have gotten a pin jammed into a toe?

Protect your feet and comb through your carpet occasionally! Works better than a vacuum. (Wish I had hardwood floors under my machine.)
    I have to agree, also there is a telescoping magnetic wand that I got at Harbour Freight (the blade place) and it just sweeps up gobs of them fast. I keep an office chair pad under my quilting chair which helps too since even though the carpet is low profile pins get stuck there otherwise.

:D

Sounds good. I have a telescoping magnet as well. You can buy them at the hardware store.

I use Magnets, work great

I refuse to go into my sewing area without my shoes.

Blog Entries
    I tried the comb tip this morning. I pushed a few pins in the carpet and the comb took them right out. I did break a tooth from the comb. I have seen the metal pet combs so that may be better.

I have ca[eting in my house & when I know I dropped a pin I reach for the magnetic wanf & get them that way.

Power Poster
    Thanks for the tip.

I made a discovery when I spilled my container of straight pins on the floor. You all know how easy it is to pick up pins!!! Along with the pins, I also knocked a comb on the floor and they were in the same area. Well, I started using the comb to sweep the pins in a pile then continued to pick up the pins.

Once the pins were in their container, I used the comb to sweep through the carpet fibers and found many pins down in the carpet! Since I sew barefoot, I combed the rest of the carpet within stepping distance from my machine and found more! How many of you have gotten a pin jammed into a toe?

Protect your feet and comb through your carpet occasionally! Works better than a vacuum. (Wish I had hardwood floors under my machine.)
    This is such a great idea. I've been using my magnetic pin "cushion" but sometimes I find "stragglers" in the carpet.

I can not sew with a shoe on I have tried many times and I can not control the footpetal the way I want too. Even at retreat I wear a pair of soft slippers so I can feel the petal. I sew in the basement and have a carpet because of the cold concrete floor. I use a mat under my chair and a extended handle magnet to pick up dropped pins.

Dee
    What has helped me with pins and carpet. DH bought me a extending pole with a magnet on the end.

Power Poster
    Thanks for a wonderful tip. I would prefer hardwood floors, but the apt. will only put in carpeting, but I know I will use this idea the next time I knock over the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by VickyS
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    Go to a big office store. They have mats in different sizes and grades used under chairs/desks. Easier to move your chair but the pins might all roll to the edge. LOL
    I did that on top of my carpet. The darn mat just wanders over the floor as I roll across it, even though the mat has prongs in it to hold it into place on carpet. Same thing goes for the pins - they wander as well. If I can stop the pin from rolling, it is easier to pick up.

You know how it is with something round hitting the floor!
    Well, dang, wonder why?
    Mother Goose says:

See a pin and pick it up,
    All the day you'll have good luck.
    See a pin and let it lie,
    You'll need a pin before you die.

Pins were a lot more expensive in Mother Goose's day. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    Great tip......that is why i put hardwood in my sewing room instead of cozy carpet!
    Me too and I love it. Tearing out all carpeting room by room as we can afford to put down the new wood/laminate flooring.

Blog Entries

There are now some great pin holders that are magnetic even when pins are dropped on the floor they "pick them up" the magnet is very strong.

I use an old Bingo magnet

Blog Entries
    I use a auto machanics exteding magnet to pick up pins and any metal objects. They use them to ged in hard to reach places in the engines. THEY ARE GREAT AND THE HARDWARE STORES CARRY THEM TOO.

Blog Entries
    I use a auto machanics exteding magnet to pick up pins and any metal objects. They use them to ged in hard to reach places in the engines. THEY ARE GREAT AND THE HARDWARE STORES CARRY THEM TOO.

a regular here
    I like a nice big magnet too!!

I have two great pin and needle finders in my house - my husband's sock feet. :( Without fail he'll find them.

But seriously - a comb, that's a good idea. I'll have to try that.

Thanks for the tip.

I have steped on many over my lifetime. I found keeping a magnet handy picks them up off floors not sure about carpet though.
    Great ide,
    Thanks Dawn NY

I have a large magnet that I've had for about 30 years to pick up all pins (even the ones that slid into the cracks in my 300 year old house floors)... works great!

Great idea. I have stepped on a pin and believe me it hurts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2