Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip:  Use a comb to find those pins >

Tip: Use a comb to find those pins

Tip: Use a comb to find those pins

Old 08-11-2011, 05:52 AM

I use a magnetic pin holder that I purchased at JoAnn's.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 AM

Me also. I wish for hard wood floors in here as well. It hurts me to vaccum. Dh will do it for me, willingly, but I could keep a hard surface clean myself.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Homemother
Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Now to find a comb, lol
Mine just appeared out of nowhere! I don't even use combs. Must have had a son sit at my computer and leave his here. Don't most great ideas happen by accident?
I agree. I learn some really interesting things like that. I think it is our guardian angel letting us know they are with us. It is like finding pennies on the ground, don't you think? I pick either up and look up and say thank you God for providing for even the smallest detail in my life. Just thinking about it brings a smile to my face.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
Go to a big office store. They have mats in different sizes and grades used under chairs/desks. Easier to move your chair but the pins might all roll to the edge. LOL
Depending on what you weigh.....We won't go there......they will roll to your chair.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
Thanks! I have a lot of pins on the floor, and the magnet pin cushion doesn't help
Me too, I am going to keep a comb close by. Thanks for the great tip. My son just came to me over the weekend with a needle in his hand and asked what it was (it was upside down so he didn't see the eye). I asked him where he found it as he had not been in my sewing room and he said his sock which he had just taken from his drawer. I now have little gremlins dropping needles and hiding them (lol).
Old 08-11-2011, 07:46 AM

I too go barefoot. I was brought up running around without shoes unless I was going somewhere. My husband is just the opposite. He will put on his shoes just to walk across the room! Hardwood floors would be nice, I currently have carpet.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Homemother
I made a discovery when I spilled my container of straight pins on the floor. You all know how easy it is to pick up pins!!! Along with the pins, I also knocked a comb on the floor and they were in the same area. Well, I started using the comb to sweep the pins in a pile then continued to pick up the pins.

Once the pins were in their container, I used the comb to sweep through the carpet fibers and found many pins down in the carpet! Since I sew barefoot, I combed the rest of the carpet within stepping distance from my machine and found more! How many of you have gotten a pin jammed into a toe?

Protect your feet and comb through your carpet occasionally! Works better than a vacuum. (Wish I had hardwood floors under my machine.)
I have to agree, also there is a telescoping magnetic wand that I got at Harbour Freight (the blade place) and it just sweeps up gobs of them fast. I keep an office chair pad under my quilting chair which helps too since even though the carpet is low profile pins get stuck there otherwise.

:D
Old 08-11-2011, 07:59 AM

Sounds good. I have a telescoping magnet as well. You can buy them at the hardware store.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 AM

I use Magnets, work great
Old 08-11-2011, 12:07 PM

I refuse to go into my sewing area without my shoes.