Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips on making design board >

Tips on making design board

Tips on making design board

Old 04-24-2011, 03:49 AM

You also can roll up the blocks in the flannel back table cloths to store and travel to your friends/retreats/families homes...to hang it there are many temp. solutions from the staples you can purchase that leave no holes.
Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I made one out of one of those folding, cardboard cutting mats. I got it at Joann's. I stapled flannel to the side with the lines on it and I fold it up for storage when I'm not using it. It's not the prettiest thing, but it does the job.
This is what I did to. Works great and cheap to make to. I used the back side of a flannel tablecloth that I got at the Goodwill store for $.99 cents!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 AM

I got one from clotide it was only $24.00 and big with grids.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mary M
My dear son made me a nice board out of the foam insulation board. I then covered it with a 80/20 batting and the fabric sticks so nicely to it without pins.
I've read countless how-tos on a design board and the foam insulation board wins hands down. That's on my list to do next...and it's light enough to move from room to room....!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:22 AM

There's a cardboard box company in my city that will let you buy big sheets of cardboard. That can come in handy for a design wall.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
I have found it impossible to use directional fabric without a design board. However, I have no place where I can have a permanent one. I do have room to store one behind a double bookcase and then can just place in front of bookcase when in use. Problem is, I can't find stiff cardboard that comes larger than you would find for an appliance. Need suggestions that are roughly the same width at cardboard. Also, can I use any kind of white flannel for this board or is one kind better than another?

Thanks,
Stephanie
I used the folding screen idea. Look at it here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-62823-1.htm

In my small space, having it fold up is nice. Mine has cardboard like inserts--the whole thing is light and easy to handle. I happened onto my screen at the curbside when I was visiting my daughter.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:51 AM

I buy a cheap vinyl flannel backed table cloth and use it on my floor as I haven't a wall big enough for hanging.... I can fold wip's and take them along with me.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:15 AM

I just went to the Dollar Store and purchased a plastic tablecloth that has a flannel side to it. I haven't had any trouble with that. Right now I don't have any place to put it though.

Verna2197
Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 AM

I made my design wall using a 72" wide roll-up shade that I mounted to the ceiling of the studio. It takes up no wall space and is up and out of the way when I don't need it. I used black flannel on it and used spray adhesive to affix the flannel to the shade. Works great!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:20 AM

Egads! I feel like a real cheapskate. I've used a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth stapled to my wall for several years. When the holiday clearance sales roll around, I buy a new one for $1.00.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
Originally Posted by Dina
Oh....I got the insulation board at Lowe's for $8.
maybe I can use the insulation stuff and make it look like a folding screen.....would like it to be about 6 feet wide. may have to involve my contractor son in this adventure....DH has already gone to heaven, so hes no help. Maybe like 2 foot wide sections had fold like a screen.
Yes, you can make it a folded design board. My DH made mine and hinged it together with duct tape. What else would a handy DH use? :lol: