Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips on making design board >

Tips on making design board

Tips on making design board

Old 04-24-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
OK....it means a trip to Home Depot....will put on my contractor hat, so I look like one of the guys....maybe my pink tool belt will help !!!!! (yes I dyed a leather tool belt pink...NO one borrows it !)
I will soon be painting my tools and accessories pink.... When my husband can't find his, (as he never puts any away in the same place twice) he knows where mine are. I end up putting them away after he uses them.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:51 AM

I have my design wall up on the wall, but since you don't have that option a portable one will do.

I used a plastic table cloth for my design wall and it worked great. Got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond. (The fuzzy backed ones.)
Old 04-24-2011, 06:21 AM

Lots of great ideas,thank you all.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I made one out of one of those folding, cardboard cutting mats. I got it at Joann's. I stapled flannel to the side with the lines on it and I fold it up for storage when I'm not using it. It's not the prettiest thing, but it does the job.
What a good idea. I wish I could remember where I put my board so I could make me one.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:47 AM

How about making a frame out of thin strips of wood and put the four sides together with screws and wingnuts so you are able to take it apart for storage. Then get some nice wide flannel backed vinyl. I bought some at Mardens for about $4.00 for a great big piece and it is wide!
When you assemble it, you could put thumb tacks along the top and bottom to hold it to the frame.

quote=IAmCatOwned]I have found it impossible to use directional fabric without a design board. However, I have no place where I can have a permanent one. I do have room to store one behind a double bookcase and then can just place in front of bookcase when in use. Problem is, I can't find stiff cardboard that comes larger than you would find for an appliance. Need suggestions that are roughly the same width at cardboard. Also, can I use any kind of white flannel for this board or is one kind better than another?

Thanks,
Stephanie[/quote]
Old 04-24-2011, 06:50 AM

I also use the foam insulation board but I didn't cover mine because I also use them to spray baste my quilts. I left one sheet 4' x 8 ' and added 1/2 of another sheet to make it 6 ft wide by 8 ft wide. I also have one that both pieces are cut down to 6' high so it is 6 ft by 6 ft. They aren't very attractive not covered but they almost always have something hanging on them. I just stand them up against the wall and can move them anywhere I want them. Oh another thing, because my boards are free standing, I have 4 sides to work with which gives me a lot of space for design.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
I have found it impossible to use directional fabric without a design board. However, I have no place where I can have a permanent one. I do have room to store one behind a double bookcase and then can just place in front of bookcase when in use. Problem is, I can't find stiff cardboard that comes larger than you would find for an appliance. Need suggestions that are roughly the same width at cardboard. Also, can I use any kind of white flannel for this board or is one kind better than another?

Thanks,
Stephanie
The pink foam 4x8 sheets of insulation that fold up to 2x4 feet (comes folded this way) will allow you to stick pins in it almost forever. My daughter has a design wall made out of this stuff and it's been up on the wall four or five years - still accepts pins. You can even keep some pins stuck in the foam panel.

Have you considered putting the bookcase on very sturdy rollers and putting the design wall behind it on the wall. You could roll the bookcase out and back when you wanted to use the design wall.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 AM

That is a very good ideal,I will have to try it
Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 AM

WOW these are some great ideas. :-)
Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 AM

I was at a quilting class and they told us about using a vinyl backed table cloth put on wall with blue painters tape. and if you have a couple of projects going you can use one for each and flod the up in them and they will stay together.