Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips from a seasoned quilter…

How nice of you to share these tips.
    Thanks

How nice of you to share these tips.
    Thanks

SEW
    Love the tips...what is the purpose of starch during the construction process?

Tips I can use. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful reminders of the joy of quilting.
    Thanks Patticake.
    Hope your life is blessed with many more stitches.

Thanks so much for those awesome words of wisdom! It helps to be reminded to enjoy the process.

Thank you for sharing your pearls of wisdom!

Blog Entries
    Great tips!! The only one I would add is: Don't be afraid to ask questions!!! Especially from the wonderful quilters here...
    Happy Quilting!

Great tips !!

Do you wash your fabric before use each time?
    How is the starch applied?
    I so need a quilters for dummies book for my self. ha ha ha

I needed every one of those tips plus. Grateful

Blog Entries
    Also wondering why the starch? When do you use the starch and how? Need all the tips I can get...esp about sore fingers. Tried tape but not working well for me. Thimbles seem to get in the way!

Why?

I use a sizing spray.... I also think having a very very pointed scissors on hand to clip threads is important... thanks so much for your tips...

Quote Originally Posted by mythreesuns
    Do you wash your fabric before use each time?
    How is the starch applied?
    I so need a quilters for dummies book for my self. ha ha ha

You mentioned Quilters for Dummies! I thought...wow...I've got to get that book...then...thank goodness I have a brain...I thought, I think I've got that book...sure enough...It's right on my quilting shelf. It's kind of like buying that beautiful piece of fabric 3 or 4 or 5 times...'cause you love it so much and you didn't realize that you already had it in your STASH!

Starch, sizing, Mary Ellen's Best Press - all are used on the fabric before it is cut to add body. This makes the fabric behave better while cutting and sewing. It lies flatter, doesn't distort as easily, and the corners stay more corner-like. Starch can also be used on a backing to keep it flatter during quilting. You can also starch a block while squaring it to make it hold its shape better. The starch washes out when you wash the quilt.

There is, indeed, a Quilting for Dummies.

http://www.amazon.com/Quilting-Dummi...5537140&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by dunster

I get every book I own on half.com. You can't believe the difference in prices, even on new books.

Sounds like something I need to blow up and put on my sewing room wall!
    Except for the chocolate-I will have to substitute something else for it-not a big chocolate fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Nolee

I get every book I own on half.com. You can't believe the difference in prices, even on new books.
    Well, not always. I looked at half.com for this book. The 1999 edition is advertized at 3.99, but I would prefer the newer edition since quilting tools change fairly rapidly. (The newer edition is 2006.) The new edition is currently advertized at 9.93 on half.com, but when I put that one in my shopping basket it is suddenly unavailable. It is also advertized at lots of other prices, starting at 12.15 and all the way up to 62.98 on half.com. Assuming you got the copy for 12.15, shipping puts it well over amazon's price of 14.02 with free shipping (if the total order is over $25). I think you have to compare prices, but often Amazon is better, and I have consistently had extremely good customer service from them.

Whenever possible PIF.
    It's good for the heart!
    David

Blog Entries
    Great advice - I have personally been lax about squaring up. I realize I need to slow down the process and take a little more time to work on accuracy. Can't say enough about the helpful things I've learned and continue to learn from this board :)

Right on!!! Nice to see it in writing

Well, not always. I looked at half.com for this book. The 1999 edition is advertized at 3.99, but I would prefer the newer edition since quilting tools change fairly rapidly. (The newer edition is 2006.) The new edition is currently advertized at 9.93 on half.com, but when I put that one in my shopping basket it is suddenly unavailable. It is also advertized at lots of other prices, starting at 12.15 and all the way up to 62.98 on half.com. Assuming you got the copy for 12.15, shipping puts it well over amazon's price of 14.02 with free shipping (if the total order is over $25). I think you have to compare prices, but often Amazon is better, and I have consistently had extremely good customer service from them.
    Yes, you are right, Amazon also. I had forgotten about them. On half.com, something is VERY wrong when those books get into 4 times the retail price. I've asked several sellers why they are so high and never get a reply. Something is goofy with that.

A testiment to starch: My cousin got hired by a lady who had verrry old blocks that her grandmother had made and she wanted them made into a reversible wall hanging.. Just to explain how difficult this was...The grandmother was not the best quilter..One half squ triangle was almost twics as big as another within the block..The stitching was hand done and very shakey/uneven...Every block was exageratedly unsquare..
    My cousin was brainstorming several ways on how to do this..She tried adding borders to the blocks ( so didnt work) She thought about fusing them onto muslin (which would have exagerated the wonky lil blocks and been permanent)...She tried squaring one up (looked really bad)..After a few more attempts she called me freaking out..
    I went over and we brainstormed some more... I finally grabbed the heavy starch and starched both sides of the blocks/ironed, twice. As well as the border strips...Then we took the squ ruler and squared them up..They cut like butter, so easy..She took a deep breath and sewed one of the border strips on, also went so smooth she didn't even need pins...
    The lady got tears in her eyes when she seen it..Not even caring that some of the (too big) half sq points were cut off lol.. If starch worked on these wonky blocks it'll make anything easier lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast