Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips from a seasoned quilter…

Blog Entries
    Good hints we all need to follow

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips, great reminder.

thanks for those quilting tips Patticake & MomtoBostonTerriers: I printed out those tips!

I am a newbie quilter but I have been creating art for many years.
    Here are a few tips from me. Patticake is so correct it is the journey that counts. This is the same no matter what medium you are working in.

I find sometimes that giving the finished art piece is a tad anticlimactic.
    I find I feel like a new mother showing off her new born baby.
    Hearing people say oh wow isn’t she beautiful.
    When you know they are really saying wow I could have made that better ;).
    No one will ever appreciate your art piece as much as you do.
    You are the one that was there at it's conception, you created it piece by piece.
    Fretting over every little detail.
    If you wait and expect others to give you that pat on the back, with the same enthusiasm in which you created the art piece in the first place? you will be somewhat disappointed.

I create art for me first:
    If someone finds some pleasure over my art piece, that is a bonus.

Here is to creating art that makes our souls sing!

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
    A testiment to starch: My cousin got hired by a lady who had verrry old blocks that her grandmother had made and she wanted them made into a reversible wall hanging.. Just to explain how difficult this was...The grandmother was not the best quilter..One half squ triangle was almost twics as big as another within the block..The stitching was hand done and very shakey/uneven...Every block was exageratedly unsquare..
    My cousin was brainstorming several ways on how to do this..She tried adding borders to the blocks ( so didnt work) She thought about fusing them onto muslin (which would have exagerated the wonky lil blocks and been permanent)...She tried squaring one up (looked really bad)..After a few more attempts she called me freaking out..
    I went over and we brainstormed some more... I finally grabbed the heavy starch and starched both sides of the blocks/ironed, twice. As well as the border strips...Then we took the squ ruler and squared them up..They cut like butter, so easy..She took a deep breath and sewed one of the border strips on, also went so smooth she didn't even need pins...
    The lady got tears in her eyes when she seen it..Not even caring that some of the (too big) half sq points were cut off lol.. If starch worked on these wonky blocks it'll make anything easier lol
    This is a revelation: I use this same idea a paper project: worked like a dream I can't wait to try it with cloth.

Blog Entries
    Here are a couple of my tips aka 2 cents worth:

Cats, contrary to their belief, do not actually help you sew better BUT they are good for destressing.
    Buy a good stitch ripper. That, too, can be your friend. (I, personally, named mine after one long weekend.)
    A backup machine or two (or more) can be your friend when your main machine dies, or won't work, unexpectedly.

I agree with create for yourself and if someone else happens to find it beautiful, or even art, that's just an added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwestmary
    Great advice - I have personally been lax about squaring up. I realize I need to slow down the process and take a little more time to work on accuracy. Can't say enough about the helpful things I've learned and continue to learn from this board :)
    My Grandmother come for a visit and she said well girl I think you have finally found a medium where God can help you with that issue you have.. I said what issues, she said the one with patience. lol

I hear you I also need to slow down: ;0

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leonajo
    tips r great, and I am going to buy some starch!
    :roll: One of the things I have found to eliminate the flakes is to rub the starch into the fabic. Just run your hands over the fabic and it pushes the starch into the fabic it's almost like bonding the threads together. When the starch just sits on top and you iron that's when it flakes.

Quote Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
    Starch often during the construction process. Don't worry about starch flakes on dark fabric -- wash the quilt after it is completed, and that will solve the problem.
    How many of you starch? What are the benefits/detriments? I don't starch. Wondering if I should. Is it something I can do in the middle of piecing a quilt or should I wait until I start my next quilt?

Blog Entries
    thank you!!! Experience teaches us a lot!! :-) :-)

Thanks for the great tips. I didn't understand for a long time how important it was to square all the blocks after they were sewn until I did it the first time and lo and behold, my seams all matched!! I especially agree with the last tip.

Blog Entries
    You know you are the kind of person that makes this site so wonderful. Thank you for those words of wisdom

Blog Entries
    Here's a tip, Don't quilt when you are tired. I prefer sewing in the morning.

Great tips! Especially #2. I'm going to print the list out and post it on the wall in my sewing room!

wonderful advice................I do the newsletter for our newsletter for our guild. Could I get your permission to use your message in our newsletter?

Thank You so much for these nice tips all in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtinkle
    Starch is your friend... your very best friend when it comes to quilting!
    I used starch for a while but find I like to use light body Magic Sizing better. I puts body into my blocks without any of the stiffness or shine that can occur with starch.

These are great tips, especially 1st and last ones. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    My seam ripper is named Jack.........(Jack the Ripper, get it?)

Great tips! Thanks for sharing.

thanks for the tips

Great tips. I wish I had some to add but I don't right off.
    Well okay. Instead of sitting and looking at something and wondering how hard it will be "just begin" the rest easy.
    I'm a beginner so I say that to myself alot. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by dglvr
    Great tips. I wish I had some to add but I don't right off.
    Well okay. Instead of sitting and looking at something and wondering how hard it will be "just begin" the rest easy.
    I'm a beginner so I say that to myself alot. :thumbup:
    Good for you Kim! You'll be a pro in no time!

Thank you, Patticake!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GemState
    My seam ripper is named Jack.........(Jack the Ripper, get it?)
    Got it. That's cute. Wish I'd thought of it.
    I don't know why but Frank seemed to fit mine. The prurple one is Henrietta. MY DDs know I'm weird but it's okay - some of us just let personality quirks hang out more than others. :)

How nice of you to reach out and share with us - I'm also new at this - joined my first class today - been quilting taking tips from here and there for a year now. Thought it was time to get some formal training.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    GO with your instinct and use the fabric that makes YOU happy, no matter how much the old nag in the Quilt Store tells you how wrong you are.

When the pattern is very involved and you have never done it before MAKE A TRIAL BLOCK. You can test the instructions, the measurements, and the manner of assembly.

For all involved patterns, make a detailed plan that you can check off each step. It helps me keep the work going and everything in line.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast