Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips of the Trade for a Beginner? >

Tips of the Trade for a Beginner?

Tips of the Trade for a Beginner?

Old 04-27-2015, 04:53 PM

I suggest you don't use batiks in your first few quilts. Batik fabric is a much tighter weave and harder to hand quilt. And I agree start with a smaller project. It won't take you as long to finish and that will help hold your interest in quilting. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:00 PM

My tip to you would be spend a lot of time reading on this board! The wealth of knowledge here is endless! Look at the pictures, and galleries, and read the tutorials. Quilting is an on going process. Don't be afraid to try. Don't be afraid to mess up! Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are any number of talented people here just waiting to offer support, guidance and help! Good luck!!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 PM

Thank you so much,I'll definitely check her out.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:37 PM

What do you mean am I going to quilt as I go? I assume that when I am making a quilt technically I am quilting as I go...right?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:52 PM

I will look into it,thank you. I will probably buy it or if I mention it enough I might get it for Christmas from my fiance.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Good for you to try hand quilting! You will need hand quilting thread, needles (called betweens) a hoop or frame to keep your 3 layers stretched ( though some quilt without a hoop) a quilt top, quilt batt and backing fabric. Cotton quilting fabrics should be used in construction of the top and either cotton quilting fabric for the back or good quality muslin.
It is best to start with a small hand quilting project like a table runner to get started. Perhaps a piece of nice cotton fabric for the top that you can quilt along the fabric design or along a hand drawn design.
Thank you for the tips,you seem to give some great advice. Is muslin soft like cotton? What's the difference between the two? Where would I get muslin, a fabric store?
Old 04-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

Muslin is a 100% cotton cream fabric but it comes in different grades. You want to go to Joanne Fabrics, a local quilt shop or similar and look at the ends of the bolt or ask for quilting muslin. Muslin is generally less expensive then quilting cotton but buy the best you can afford. You can also buy quilters cotton good quality fabric and compare the weaves of both fabrics, they should be of equal weight. The benefit of using quilting cotton is it is easier to get a good quilting running stitch through the quilt sandwich.
There is also another method of hand quilting that is increasing in popularity called "big stitch" quilting. It uses perle cotton thread, a bigger needle and stitch. If you can few them, there are demos on YouTube for big stitch quilting.

Last edited by Tartan; 04-27-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:46 PM

I hand quilt and hope you find the process enjoyable. I use a Comfort Thimble to hand quilt with and I love it, the company is out of Oregon but you can find them sold through several vendors online. I use Gutermann thread because that is what my friend who taught me to quilt recommended and I haven't had any problems hand piecing or quilting with the 50 wt. I learn too from magazines the library subscribes to, watching Fons and Porter on TV and episodes of Quilty online. I agree with several other posters start small. My first project was a modified table runner that is now a pillow topper. I recommend size 9 betweens or sharps to quilt/piece with. I also recommend thread snips they come in handy with handwork.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:54 AM

I hand quilt almost exclusively. Use the best fabric you can afford front and back. I use fabrics other than muslin for backings but that is my preference. I agree with starting small and not using batiks for your first project. I use Roxanne (betweens) needles. The lower the needle size, the larger the needle. I generally use Gutterman hand quilting thread but will use any brand if it's the particular color I want. I use a Thimblelady thimble. I started with the plastic one and graduated to the stainless steel version. I generally quilt in a hoop but not always. If you are using a hoop or frame, don't have your quilt sandwich 'drum tight'...have some give to your sandwich. Heard it described long ago to have it about as loose as if a cat were sitting on it.

Batting is a whole different story. You'll get lots of suggestions. I use Warm & Natural but many people find it difficult to hand quilt. I like 100% cotton. If you are looking for something very light, you can also use flannel for batting. Flannel for the backing also makes a nice cozy quilt.

Remember, most of all, hand quilting is a process - not a race. Find a comfy chair; a good light (I use halogen but it does get hot); a good TV show and quilt away. Great stress reducer! Enjoy the process.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:01 AM

I do mostly hand piecing and quilting since 1985. I do not use a frame but lap quilt. I also use poly batting and a 9 sharp needle by Jeana Kimball"s byFoxglove Cottage. This has worked for me. I have done queen size quilts with no problem. I agree do not use Batik's. Vi