Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips for transition from DSM to LA? >

Tips for transition from DSM to LA?

Tips for transition from DSM to LA?

Old 08-23-2017, 05:08 AM

Default Tips for transition from DSM to LA?

Any tips and hints to help in the transition with FMQ-ing from the DSM to using a LA?

I know practice is the main thing, but I'm wondering if there are other things I'm missing..maybe body positioning or something I'm not even thinking of that will help me get a smoother, more consistent line and have the line go where I intended.

Maybe following a drawn line would help for a while?

Thanks for any and all comments.

Watson
Old 08-23-2017, 05:21 AM

get a dry wipe board and some dry wipe markers......practice with that...getting in your head the moving of the pen in hand rather than pushing fabric thru....I also had school notebooks that I doodled endlessly on....look thru magazines and try to replicate the quilt designs- trying for continuos line. At first you will be stuff, but little by little your hand will begin to flow smoothly....dontwatchthe needle...like in driving look ahead......many books available with designs, not to mention now YouTube videos
Old 08-23-2017, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Did you buy a machine?
Or getting ready for your LA class/lesson?
Exciiiiiiiiiiiting!

I can't say that I've been there, done that, but for sure, doodling always seems to be mentioned. To me, what makes sense is to remember the "free" of FMQ, and not get hung up on repetition and precision at the start.

While I do not LA, but do FMQ on a DSM or S16, I find drawing on a design is helpful, but in reality, I let "free" win out and only use the lines for some guidance .... and let happen what happens as I FMQ along. Later, I get rid of those extra lines.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Where are your eyes focused when longarming? Are you looking at the needle or where you want to go? When I am longarming I try to keep my eyes focused a few inches ahead from where the needle currently is. I focus on where I want to go not where the machine is at. I do constantly catch myself looking where the needle currently is and that is when I mess up. I often will use the piecing as a guide, like aiming for an intersection of seams, but if I am quilting in large open areas I need to mark. Perhaps while you are learning and only renting time you might want to try marking your quilts so you have a line to follow. Or mark a registration dot so you have something to aim for.

Also don't be afraid to move the machine head with a little speed behind it. When you go really slow, circles often end up being "squarcles".
Old 08-23-2017, 03:46 PM

I think of it like driving a car. I know where I want to go (big picture) and the route I'll take, open to adjustment. Aware of other obstacles checking the road and mirrors, what's close. The first time out w/o parents, I hit another car. Dad came home mad and hit support post on carport breaking it, so when I told him about hitting his friends car, he was understanding. His friend saw the humor in it.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:58 PM

I do mark registration marks for open areas, but go ahead and draw out as much as you need to--it's only chalk (or water soluble marker). have you done any pantos? A few may help give you more confidence on moving the machine.
draw, draw,draw when you are watching tv, during meetings at work!, anywhere--it builds muscle memory. Use some stencils to help you have some lines to follow--but realize that those are not set in stone and just give you guidance on most FMQ. Relax--if your grip is too tight it shows on the quilting--one friend has a glass of wine before starting--but that may not work well if you are on rented machine! so do some deep breathing and shoulder rolling if you find you are too tense. And you are right, practice, practice, practice--it gets better!
Old 08-24-2017, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Any tips and hints to help in the transition with FMQ-ing from the DSM to using a LA?

I know practice is the main thing, but I'm wondering if there are other things I'm missing..maybe body positioning or something I'm not even thinking of that will help me get a smoother, more consistent line and have the line go where I intended.

Maybe following a drawn line would help for a while?

Thanks for any and all comments.

Watson
What I have done, and continue to do, is draw my quilting on the top with a Friction pen.........If I do not like what I see, I iron it off, and re-draw........then load the top on longer....no worry about chalk rubbing off, etc.....marks stay until hot iron touches.........I have traced pictures from coloring books, drawn the most amazing meander stitches around embroideries, etc........NO WORRIES because whatever you do can be removed with the touch of an iron! Try it............
Old 08-24-2017, 05:09 AM

Watson, what I did was to use a busy piece of fabric that I followed the design details with my machine. Every day until I got comfortable with the technique. I saw someone using what I call a piece of cheater cloth the other day and I thought that would be a great learning tool because you can quilt your design just as though it were your regular quilt top. You will do fine sad thing for me is that I have a very hard time FMQ on the DSM. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2017, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Since you are moving the machine like a pencil, I think you will pick it up quickly. The hardest part for me would be going back to moving the quilt on my sewing machine.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:33 AM

Like you, I continue to FMQ smaller projects on my DSM and rent a LA for larger quilts. You're right about practicing...it will get easier and smoother the more you do it but I don't think a drawn line would work for me. I have tried to do a couple of pantos but I get more uptight trying to follow the lines. I'm much better doing it free hand on a LA. Good luck and remember to have fun.