Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of this project. Wanna start new. >

Tired of this project. Wanna start new.

Tired of this project. Wanna start new.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:55 AM

I am in a similar predicament. I can’t seem to get to the sewing machine. The project for our bed is the one that I feel I should be working on but it has developed problems. I told myself the other day it would be better to do anything rather than just sit and read or watch telly. Even if I do create a new UFO.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:10 AM

I refuse to force myself to do anything. I quilt for fun, and if it's not fun, then I put that aside and do something that IS fun for a while. Life is too short.
Funny thing is, usually it stops being fun when I'm struggling with something. Putting it aside for a minute allows me to think, problem solve, and grow more skilled. More often than not, when I return to the original project, I'm able to fix the issue and finish the project, which makes it fun again.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:16 AM

yep...I quilt for fun...if it isn't fun....I don't do it. I have plenty of UFO's and plenty of unstarted new projects....every once in a while I get hit with a "let's finish up things" bug....and then I pick up a few of the UFO's to finish and I feel good about it....but I don't keep working on something I find a chore to do. eventually...if I live long enough, it will get done. Of course a good audio book really helps move things along sometimes when I am just trudging along with my quilting....
Old 01-27-2021, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Julienm1, didn’t I see your name in the 2021 UFO thread? LOL. Just sayin.....
And this is why I didn't sign up on the UFO thread, lol! I've got enough stress in my life I think... but doggone if this scenario doesn't hit me pretty much every time!
Old 01-27-2021, 01:12 PM

I'm with you. I like the designing. So after that it's work. Put on the music. I'm thinking of putting a TV in here for movies. The project currently in progress was all cut out and some of the sewing completed, but it called for more designing. Added 5 red 2" squares to give it a surprise and pop. Then off to sewing to see if my idea worked. Yep. Now it's get it finished. Just have pressing and stitching rows together, pressing. Then it gets measured, folded and put in plastic bag with all leftovers. It'll be in line for the LA. It's in a room off the garage and right now it's pretty cold out there. It needs music in that room.

The LA is the hold up point. I need ideas to make it more enjoyable to do that part. What motivates you to do the step of quilting?
Old 01-27-2021, 02:07 PM

When I am working on a project and get tired of it, I go work on a puzzle or read. If I'm really desperate, I clean house a little and then am ready to get back to my quilt project.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:53 PM

I always have lots of projects going on at once. I’m trying not to start anything new. If I get tired of what I’m working on I switch to another project. I usually have one piecing/top project and one FMQ project out at a time. I can move from one to another. Keeps me motivated.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

And this is why I am on the UFO thread! Working on some 6" stars now and nearing the finish line of getting 63 done for the planned quilt...just keep sewing just keep sewing...Good thing they are from scrap fabrics and add a little variety in the outcomes. BTW I think I have 10 more to go.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:28 AM

I noticed that project was singular! I bounce from project to project. Finished binding Ocean Quilt, quilting blue jean DP quilt, interrupted quilting to make tote bags mentioned in a post, Cut the glass for my Surfer Girl stained glass window, and finishing besties 4th, yes 4th, window for her bathroom. (will post pics in non-quilting forum)...And that is this week. Already looking for next project with ombres...
Old 01-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
When the fun leaves, start something new! I like to work on several things in rotation so I don’t get bored.
the fun hasn't left.
it's only that more fun has caught your attention.

Tartan's advice is "spot on."