Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of quilting? >

Tired of quilting?

Tired of quilting?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:57 PM

I guess it happens to most people. I get burned out, or maybe I should say discouraged at times when I was working on my daughter's single bed quilt. I just finished quilting it and it took me three years. In between those years, I was struggling to learn MQ and very "afraid" to do it on the real thing. I think I left it aside for one year before I came back to it. Hence I started on smaller projects eg christmas quilts in between. For the past six months, I was very focused in finishing that quilt as it's something I promised my daughter since three years ago.

It helps to take a break and do other things you enjoy. Or start a few other projects in between. You can always come back to your current project another time. Sometimes it's the process that tires us out. Especially when we stare at the large quilt and keep wondering when it could all be completed.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaBabs
i did that today to finish up and "bam" broke my needle in the machine, DH has fixed as far as he can tonight, but the needle won't pick up the bobbin thread, i'm afraid i've done something horrible... will have to break out another machine,,, (but i want my favorite Elna from 1981!!)... oh well, if he can't fix it, it's off to a repair guy... i hate that,,, too pricy.... if i've wrecked it, that a good reason to buy the Bailey for my quilt frame and use the Janome 1600 for my "workhorse"... LOL
This year has been a bummer for doing anything... but i persevere.... i always do something on Monday when our group gets together... that helps a lot... a good group...
I also knit or crochet EVERY night... that's a given for me,, and breaks up the sewing.........
It almost sounds like your machine is out of sync after breaking your needle. If you can loosen the fly wheel and hold the smaller knob firm, then rotate the larger wheel backwards, you should hear a click. Tighten it up again and manually "walk" it through a few stitches to see if it has been repaired.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:25 PM

I'm so slow at making a quilt that I usually don't get burned out, but if I get to feeling restless I just do something else like regular sewing witch does help. Just store your things away for a while and try something different , don't get rid of your things though, the desire will return in time.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:32 AM

I'm in that mode right now. Haven't been in my sewing room in 2 weeks. Instead, I grab a book and read. I've got to get back to all my WIP's soon!
Old 05-21-2011, 02:41 AM

That's exactly why I quilt....just because I want to, so when I don't want to, no big deal.Quilting really became a main interest after I made quilts for family,then decided not to make quilts for other ppl.If a miniature sounds good, I do it.But,wait....there's a lovely pattern, maybe that will be next.In other words, quilting for me is doing what/when as I please.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Every now and then. Comes and goes. But, since I do it for my own pleasure, it doesn't bother me.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:56 AM

I think it happens to a lot of people. The trick might be to do a few projects that are either small and "finishable" within a short time, or to take a break with photography or drawing, or doodling, in order to get rested and inspired to do the next project. So far, I haven't lost the inspiration - although at times it is hard to do it in a confined space.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:02 AM
Power Poster

AHA time to buy a "NEW" sewing machine!!! Nothing wrong with the old one. BUT a "NEW" sewing machine is so inspiring.....
Old 05-21-2011, 03:06 AM

Maybe your last project took much longer to complete than you expected and you just got tired of it and need a break. I agree with others...pick a small project that can be finished in a day or two so that you can have immediate gratification...but, think a long time before you get rid of your quilting paraphernalia... been there, done that and you will regret it.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:13 AM
Swap Hosts

Nope. Not yet. Tired of not having enough time to quilt!
Old 05-21-2011, 03:14 AM

I love to quilt and rotate projects to keep me excited!