Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Titanium needles >

Titanium needles

Titanium needles

Old 05-20-2016, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
One thing I have heard about titanium needles is that when they break, they tend to shatter. I do not think this is a huge problem if you wear glasses while sewing, but it might be if you have a tendency to forgot to move the needle and hit the presser foot.
This hasn't been my experience. Below is a good example of what happens when you forget to change your straight-stitch plate back to the zig-zag one It did leave a scratch on the plate itself. (Luckily my new machine has an automatic alarm if you try to to do anything wide when the straight stitch plate is on - phew!)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]550351[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1315.jpg  
Old 05-20-2016, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I use Organ titanium needs and they last forever. The one I am using now has been used for piecing at least 6 quilts, and quilting 2 or 3, and is still going great.
I use these (1955) needles for my industrial machine and they last a very long time even at high speeds.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I use Organ titanium topstitch needles for all my machine. Have been for years. Superior titanium topstitch needles are Organ needles. When Superior has a sale on them I stock up for at least several years. It doesn't take many as they last so long. The shipping is very low too.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:32 AM

I only use the Organ Titanium needles. They do last forever!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:12 AM

Default Titanium Needles

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It seems that my regular sewing machine needles are getting dull faster then they used to. I was sewing along today and going over a seam the needle pushed the fabric down in the faceplate for a second before piercing. I will replace the needle, ( second time this week) but I was wondering if anyone has tried the new titanium needles and if they prefer them to regular sewing machine needles.
I have used titanium needles forever and never had one break yet! When I took my sewing machine for servicing, the man working on it said they were very good needles!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:39 AM

Thank you Luana for posting the youtube video on titanium needles. Interesting information. I sew on a Janome and purchase their needles from my dealer. His selling point was that they last longer and the Janome sews better with them. I will have to ask him if they are titanium needles. They last a fairly long time and I have them in 80/12 and 90/14. Will look in Joann's the next time I am in the store to see if they carry the titanium needles.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:54 AM

I have just realized that I have a package of the titanium needles in my supplies...I'll be changing needles today! Thank you for posting and for the reminder to change my needle.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:20 AM

I love titanium needles. I have broken some, but they have never shattered. Instead they seem to bend up into a "fish hook shape" instead of breaking or shattering. I use Superior's top stitch needles.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:21 AM

I use the Organ titanium. Never had them shatter. Usually bend up, maybe break. They seems to go so smooth through fabric- especially batiks. I won't go back. Use titanium needles also on my longarm.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:41 AM

I have used them for a long time and find they stay sharp. I have them in several sizes and keep them in a tomato pin cushion that is marked by needle sizes because I have to change them out because of the task I am doing. The old idea of changing the needle every eight hours of sewing time just isn't needed. I have had a few break because of operator error.