Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Titanium needles >

Titanium needles

Titanium needles

Old 05-21-2016, 12:06 PM

I use titanium needles all the time. Especially for my embroidery machine. They last a lot longer than regular ones.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:07 PM

I much prefer Titanium needles over regular ones. All my needles are usually premium brands & I still prefer the Titanium ones. Have never heard that they shatter but I will be attentive to that. They last longer (much longer) but I also feel they just do a better job. IMHO, anyway. Tartan, I have been able to buy some at Fabricland, not a lot but some. My LQS does carry them also but her shop is an hour away so I when I need a few things I always pick up some needles at the same time.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:10 AM

How would the Organ titanium needles compare to the Schmetz microbes needles? Wondering because that's what I have now, before searching for the organ brand. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Neuras View Post
How would the Organ titanium needles compare to the Schmetz microbes needles? Wondering because that's what I have now, before searching for the organ brand. Thank you!
Titanium needles last at least 3x longer than chrome needles. Also, Organ needles from Superior threads are all Topstitch needles.
Microtex are sharper, very slightly thinner, have a shorter eye & the eye is not coated in Teflon. Unless you are having problems with your thread shredding (usually due to needle being a size too small), there is no reason to switch before you run out. Pros like the Organ Topstitch needles because they can do all types of sewing/quilting without having to change out their needle. For home sewers who may mostly stick to regular quilter's cotton, a cotton thread & not moving machine at high speed, Microtex is generally just as good or possibly even slightly better if you are using a 40 or 50wt 2-ply thread because it makes a tinier hole. If you quilt with a 12 or 28wt thread, you really should switch to a Topstitch because the groove on the shaft of the needle is deeper & will better be able to hold & protect thicker threads. Otherwise, keep sewing away & when you're running low maybe give the titanium topstitch needles a try.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:47 AM

Thank you!
Old 05-22-2016, 09:19 AM

I piece w guttermann 50 wt & have been using microtex needles. Just upgraded to a juki 2010, so I need to be informed. Would you then say to finish off what I have then transition to the organ? The machine came w 3 extra organ needles
Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Neuras View Post
I piece w guttermann 50 wt & have been using microtex needles. Just upgraded to a juki 2010, so I need to be informed. Would you then say to finish off what I have then transition to the organ? The machine came w 3 extra organ needles
Go ahead & use either one. They will both give you good results with a 50wt thread. My only point was that I wouldn't throw out the Microtex needles. They're perfectly good needles even if they don't last as many hours.