Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Titanium Rotary blades ;) >

Titanium Rotary blades ;)

Titanium Rotary blades ;)

Old 02-09-2013, 04:25 PM

meow meow; thanks for describing the cutting mat cleaning. I hadn't seen anything about using vinegar but I am sure it would work wonders. As for my mat, in between cutting strips yesterday I sprayed it with a natural based cleaned and scrubbed it with a toothbrush.... oh my was it dirty from lots of spray starch overspray and temporary adhesive spray. I also turned it around so I am using an end I haven't used much, it seems like brand new! The only thing I can say about the titanium blade is that I have never experienced a regular cutting blade be this sharp before not even at the beginning. Maybe it's my imagination.....
If you can't find titanium blades locally I would google Titanium rotary cutting blades for your specific rotary cutter and see what comes up.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by mucky View Post
Does anyone know if the Fiskars are interchangeable with Olfa?
I have used Fiskars blades with my Olfa. Haven't figured out how long they last yet.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I didn't see much difference in the titanium blade that came with my Fiscars rotary cutter. All fresh blades cut wonderfully for a few cuts and then dull somewhat. The titanium might have lasted a bit longer than the Harbor Frieght ones, but not by much. I also did not like the Fiscars cutter as I couldn't get the nut tightened enough to stop the blade from wobbling. I've gone back to my 20 yo straight Olfa cutter with HF blades.
Regarding the Fiskar's cutter, I find I get a better cut when the nut is looser. Yes, that does allow for some play with the blade. It lets it turn more easily.

I got several dozen Harbor Freight blades and so far, only one has been good. The others are nicked and dull out of the package.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:07 PM

I have used Olfa blades in my Fiskars cutter and Fiskars in my Olfa cutter.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:39 PM

I have used the Titanium blades and LOVE them. I use my cutter a lot - I have the Gingher Rotary cutter. I've used all sorts of blades in it, they all work, but the Titanium lasts 5x's longer! I have the Tru-Cut Sharpener too, and have even re-sharpened the Titanium blades in it, so they last a really long time. I actually won the Sharpener....;o) You can purchase these blades at Nancy's Notions too, lots of times she runs them on sale..
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 AM

Has anyone kept their blades "oiled"? I have read that you should keep conditioning your blades with a few drops of oil, in one article baby oil, on them. I just read that to keep your shaver blade sharp, store it in a cup of baby oil. Any info on this?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Yes, just a tiny drop of oil, ever so often, not every time you use it. My Tru-Cut has you drop a drop on the blade before you sharpen it. It works..;o)

Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM

I bought a pair of titanium blades from Nancy's Notions. I am still using the first one and haven't touched the second. It just keep cutting and cutting. Love it!