Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
today at the library... >

today at the library...

today at the library...

Old 11-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

I love libraries. Take advantage our ours, painting class, free color copies, trips for pennies on the dollar, get lunch at the cafe, eat in front of the fireplace,listen to concerts, all the computer services, die cutting machines, dvd, cds, fishing poles, bicycles, paintings, book club parties, nooks. Oh ...sooo much. I NEVeR buy books or mags, ill spend money on fab first.
I love the big tables for basting quilts too. Even swap plant cutting days.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

Oh, six yrs ago took class on hand painting wineglasses
You got the lesson and four glasses for $5.
Made my own wedding favors.
And...she even gave me a brush to take home to do thwm with.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Some of my favorite quilting books I first discovered at the library. After I'd checked them out a gazillion times I decided it was time to buy my own copies, cheap, used, on Amazon or ebay. The local library where we used to live had an awesome array of books on sewing, quilting, needlecraft of every sort. The one near where I live now doesn't have nearly as many, but I bet I've checked out every quilting book they have at least once.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:40 PM

If I am considering a book purchase I check it out at my library first. Saved me lots of money and I have a quilt library that I love.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
I love my local library. I can peruse the catalog of books on line, put a book and hold and wait for an email telling me it's ready to pick up at the branch of my choice. Great service.
I do the same thing and then sometimes I really luck out, because our library sells used library books, cds, tapes, dvds for 50 cents each. I am an avid audiobook listener, especially when I am sewing. And I have a veritable library right here at home that I either give the books to friends or donate them so other people can read them. However, selfish little bugger that I am, if the book is exceptionally good, I keep it and listen to it again and again. Never get tired of listening to a good book.

I have a nephew and his family that live in North Pole, Alaska not too far from Santa Claus (or so they say). No rellies at the South Pole though! Edie
Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Just picked up a couple of books on quilting there at the local library .. Gonna spend the day reading for sure ..
Old 11-04-2012, 05:41 AM

Our quilt guild meets in our local library's community room for our meetings and our Saturday Sews! They have quite a large selection of quilting books, also. I love libraries! (Of course, I am a former school librarian, a job I loved dearly. Until the district laid off 4 of the 5 librarians in the district. I was one laid off and I miss it terribly!)
Old 11-04-2012, 06:16 AM

How many remember their school librarians?? And carry a public library card!!! Loved my job as junior high school librarian for 37 years. I donate to local library every year and support it. And love to give books to children at Christmas...and hope all does the same...Christmas is for kids to enjoy and celebrate. But any time of the year is the right time to READ.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 AM

I love my library when all the kids are in school. Big comfortable chairs, lit fireplace in the winter, quilters magazines to look through and quilting books galoure. And when I do go in there when school is out, I even enjoy all the hustle and bustle and kids excited voices when they find that perfect book.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 AM

We are so lucky to have free public libraries. Even though I have an e-reader, lots of access to cheap used books, and friends that I swap books with, I would never want to live in a place that doesn't have a good public library system available. I have to say, though, Lynnie, that library in Long Island seems to have outdone itself as a public resource. Fishing poles and bicycles?!!!