Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tolerance >

Tolerance

Tolerance

Old 07-30-2012, 08:00 AM

In my third year of quilting I joined a couple of online groups and was really into block swaps. All the blocks up to that point were to be 12 1/2 inches. I put a lot of effort into making sure they came out at 12 1/2 inches and beautifully pressed. Then I folded them up and sent them off. I made some cyber friends along the way and when I received their blocks back I noticed that there was a lot of "tolerance". Because I was still kind of new to quilting and didn't trust myself to "fudge" the end product, some of those swap blocks I received I ripped out and remade. The kill point for swaps for me was trying to make the perfect 3.5 inch nine patch. I put in hours to make them come out right. I had lots and lots to make, got lots and lots back with lots and lots of "tolerance". So I guess the bottom line is how much time do you want to spend making sure your blocks won't make your quilt grow out of proportion? If it is not as important or you know you can adjust with sashings then the tolerance factor isn't really an issue for you. But it may be a huge issue for someone else receiving those blocks.
Heidi
Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I have to be right on for a swap. I've been doing the Craftsy BOM (free) and all my blocks except 1 were exactly 12 1/2. One had one corner off by 1/16. I wanted to redo it, but when I tried, the block turned out funky, so I kept the original and put a pin in the short side so when I go to put it together, I'll know to adjust it so it will fit.
I will also do that - put a pin or mark the 'off' side somehow so I remember it - 1/16 off on a 12-1/2 block could have been caused in so many places - even in the final pressing - I can live with 1/16 variance quite easily.

I'm glad to know that there are also others on this board that prefer to have things be the intended size.

NOTE: To the engineers out there - I know that due to the nature of fabric, we aren't going to get 'exactly exact' - but doggone close is good!

ANOTHER NOTE: This is only MY preference - I've just found that it's easier to assemble things when the units are consistent and they lay flat.

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-30-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Wow. This "tolerance" is one of the reasons I rarely do group swaps. To me, 12.5" means 12.5". I've been frustrated in the past having too narrow of a seam to feel confident in the seam integrity after several washings when I've received less than accurate blocks in a trade.

Jan in VA
this is most of the reason i have stopped doing block swaps. if the block swap is to be 12.5" then that is what i am expecting to receive, no tolerance included. i was amazed at how many swappers thought it was ok to send something less than the required size. if the block pattern allows me to make it a pinch larger and cut down without losing points, then that is what i will do but i always work to make the correct block size.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 AM

Hello if you want your quilt to fall apart 1/8" seams will do it! You can fudge a tread or two but never 1/8" 12.5" means 12.5" easy to check your self and make sure that you are sewing that 1/4" seam. Also accuracy means having balance in the thread you use. Do not use a heavy thread piecing it will automaticly throw off your seams. Sorry machinists or engineers we are not but accuracy counts for everything. We can always go bigger and trim to exact but smaller is just that smaller it dose not get bigger no matter how hard we try. I have received a lot of blocks from swaps or raffles, and there are always the ones that are small don't ask me why that is the challenge to be able to use those blocks. I love the wonky log cabin to be able to enlarge the blocks but wind up with a nice quilt.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
For my own work, consistency is what matters, not a specific measurement. I don't use commercial patterns, so I'm not aiming for someone else's finished size goal. Consistency, however, pretty much means zero tolerance.

The blocks in the last swap/group project I was in measured from 11.25" to 13". I no longer do swaps...that one ate up the last of my 'tolerance'.
Amen! I to have received blocks like that out of 40 blocks I managed to find 24 that were the correct measurement 9.5" They went from 10" - 8 1/4"
Old 07-30-2012, 10:44 AM

I'm with you Sewnoma! I try to get exact...just does not always happen... My paper piecing is never exact either...and I have lines to sew on! Some came out 1/8" smaller than the others...but this butterfly block from Quilter's Cache is pretty forgiving if you need to fudge a bit. I'm adding a 2-1/2 sashing (cut 3") to seperate each block...so far, can't really tell there is anything amiss. I'll be quilting the black sashing in either rainbow thread, or gold metallic..so that should take the eye off any tiny amout it's off. I'll be hanging it at the back of a booth for display...so, no one will get that close! LOL.

I do longarm quilting & don't mind the wonky tops...they help me hone my skills!

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Since I'm still a pretty new quilter, I allow myself a LOT of leeway! I use the lowest common denominator approach where everything gets trimmed down to the smallest block and sashing makes up the difference. But so far I haven't made blocks that had points or anything that would really show the block had been trimmed.

Plus I tell myself there's a certain amount of charm in a slightly wonky quilt. Though honestly I prefer things to line up, I'm just not all that skilled yet. My first quilt has blocks that are probably a half-inch off - thankfully I've gotten a LOT better! LOL
Old 07-30-2012, 11:07 AM

Default accurate cutting

Accuracy starts with the cutting. Before the cutting is the optional washing and for me, mandatory starching and ironing. If you use enough steam and starch, you may avoid the washing. If your cutting is off by a thread or two, that's where some of the problems start. I make sure the ruler line is ON the fabric, not off, and I use dots of sandpaper on my rulers to hel avoid slippage. Fine thread top and bobbin also help keep those 1/4 inch seams slim. I'm amazed how much a thread can affect the seam.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM

This is exactly why I quit making the blocks for our quilt guild. They give us a pattern, it is called a lottery block, because if you bring one, your name is put in the hat, and whoever's name they pick gets all the blocks. Anyway, mine never seem to come out exactly right, no matter what! For my own quilting, I always just allow extra so I can trim to make it right!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:17 PM

I've swapped a lot over the years and the blocks need to be within 1/4 inch of the stated size - slightly larger is better than too small. I usually make extras so that I can send something in that is within 1/8 inch of the requested size. I can't make a block that doesn't fit larger, but I can fudge to make it a teeny bit smaller. I hate when people cut blocks down because they always cut off the points. I can fudge, so please don't square them off!

Some people are really into extreme accuracy. More power to them. They are likely the award winners. I want to keep the fun in my quilting and if I had to be that exact, I'd drop swapping entirely. I try to be as accurate as I can. In all the years of swapping, only TWO blocks were not usable or adjustable- they were simply too small. I was able to remake one to make it larger, but the other I just stuck in my orphan block box to use on an orphan quilt.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 07-30-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:01 PM

I just joined a swap here.....It's been 2 1/2 yrs. since I've been in one because the tolerance was just too loose. Not that I'm perfect, far from it, but I do think that if the swap calls for a certain size, it should be within 1/8th or less of that stated size. If not, don't send. I don't think that's being "snarky". It's OK to fudge one or two of ones received, but not a whole bunch and like many have said, NEVER short edges that have points....NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!