Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too hot for infant? >

Too hot for infant?

Too hot for infant?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
Not to cause a problem here but most of us who had children over 30 years ago mananged to raise them perfectly well. Our daughters are now beseiged with horrors and concerns we never thought about and frankly I think most of it is ridiculous. Makes for very nervous mothers. We all were given common sense so my opinion is to use your own. Every couple of years the medical profession changes everything anyway...so unless something is proven absolutely life threatening I would suggest using your common sense. Good grief we wrapped our babies up in flannel receiving blankets in bed oftentimes with a quilt or afgan on top for warmth. I don't understand how we did it and the mothers before us did it with no problems and now everyone has problems with it.
I'm with you on that one, and I'm only 26 ;-) I have a Bachelor's in Child Development and some of it was just frustrating. I know there are logical reasons for many of the new rules and regulations, but others are in place b/c one person had one incident - either purely accidental or based solely on the fact they they didn't have common sense. As sad as it is, we live in a sue happy world so everyone has to walk on eggshells. The poor babies at one of the day cares I worked at had to have the room at 68-72 degrees, and were not allowed blankets in their cribs (SIDS regulations). That's a chilly temp to nap at with no blanket, especially during the summer when their parents dressed them in onesies, tanks tops, shorts, etc.

Sorry to totally hijack your thread :oops: I know this is SO not what you were anticipating asking such an innocent and simple question.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Most people would not put a warm quilt over a baby, at least until it is old enough to work itself free if it gets covered in it. So, to answer your question, I would not put any batting in it at all.

If someone gave me a rag quilt for a baby I would probably use it as a wall hanging.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:12 PM

Actually, that doesn't happen with any of the three that I've made after a good wash. Interesting.

Originally Posted by Candace
Anyone who has experience making rag quilts knows sometimes a slight tug of the material will pull off pieces of fabric. Very easy to stick in the mouth and swallow. No I don't raise my children in bubbles, but I also don't want them dead. My great uncle died at 2 1/2 years old from a choking hazzard. So, I wouldn't intentionally put danger in my child's path, either.

If you feel it's safe enough, that's your decision.