Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Too many fat quarters

Came across this while surfing.
    Marti Michell's (FQ friendly) Scrappy Sedona Stars
    http://www.quilterstv.com/channel/video/1273?item=3

Quote Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
    Used to buy fat quarters because I liked the pattern, color, print etc. Now I have waaay too many. What would you make with them since they don't really go together. I guess I could sort them some way but would you make scrappy quilts or buy something that matches several and find a pattern. If so, what pattern would you use?
    Thanks for your opinions.
    I'm in the same boat you are, so here's an opportunity for you. I'm doing a Fat Quarter Stars Quilt Along on this site, it's just starting. http://moosequilts.blogspot.com/ Her QA's are alot of fun! Try it.

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinliz
    Came across this while surfing.
    Marti Michell's (FQ friendly) Scrappy Sedona Stars
    http://www.quilterstv.com/channel/video/1273?item=3
    Now this one seems like it would be for me - not too difficult to do and easily understood. I am a beginner quilter and have trouble reading patterns yet, so this tut is very helpful.
    Thanks, tinliz

I collect fqs. I sort by color blue. green burg, brown I cut them up in 4.5 squares . when i have a small tub i put them to gather. I have a long arm quilt them. then i put 3 borders on. hand quilt or machine quilt the borders with my embroidery machine. border 1 is 5" the 2nd is 8 to 10" appliqued, pieced. the the 3rd is 5" the same as the b-1 this makes the quilt very cheap but a nice queen size. i will dig some pictures out. the long are operators have got so expensive. Im still addicted to quilting. susie

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa Dove
    Sorry you must have mis typed ! How CAN you have TOO MANY FQ's, just take them out of their store once in a while which is what I did yesterday when it was rainy and miserable and just cheered myself up by sorting and handling them, Its cheaper than any therapy I know, insulates your house , does not depreciate and can ultimately be used to construct something beautiful.....however if you really don't want them... I could help!! LOL
    Great post!!! :)
    Ha-ha. I think so too!

yellow brick road

Blog Entries
    Could they be arranged for a bargollo?

There are many books and patterns that use fat quarters. Look through them. I'm sure your fat quarters would MOSTLY fall into 4 piles that go together. You just have to work out what those piles are.

I too have a large fat quarter collection (many from a New Years Day door prize). So, I get where you are coming from. I have made 2 fat quarter quilts from them already. I traded ones I absolutely couldn't use for something that I could use.

I fall for them too and have collected them. Signed up for a class tomorrow "Krazy Kurves" and supply list calls for 20 fat quarters! I almost didn't make it! Imagine that. Anyway looking forward to it. The sample quilt made up in the quilt store is a king size and done in batiks. It is gorgeous.
    Vernell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC
    Used to buy fat quarters because I liked the pattern, color, print etc. Now I have waaay too many. What would you make with them since they don't really go together. I guess I could sort them some way but would you make scrappy quilts or buy something that matches several and find a pattern. If so, what pattern would you use?
    Here is a good site to check for FREE PATTERNS
    http://www.fatquartershop.com/freequiltpattern.asp
    Thanks. I love finding new free patterns.

What a great problem to have. There are many inspring ideas on the web and in this board. There are also magazines that are devoted to scrap quilting. If you have a few that go together, make a table cover or runner. Do you have daughters/granddaughters/friends with daughters? make doll quilts. Good luck and have fun!

I have made sudoku quilts from them

Turning twenty is a great quilt to make for fat quarters.
    I have made a few of them.

Never heard of a sudoku quilt! Will have to look it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce Ann
    I have made sudoku quilts from them

This sounds very nice. I would love to see a picture. Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by samsu32
    I collect fqs. I sort by color blue. green burg, brown I cut them up in 4.5 squares . when i have a small tub i put them to gather. I have a long arm quilt them. then i put 3 borders on. hand quilt or machine quilt the borders with my embroidery machine. border 1 is 5" the 2nd is 8 to 10" appliqued, pieced. the the 3rd is 5" the same as the b-1 this makes the quilt very cheap but a nice queen size. i will dig some pictures out. the long are operators have got so expensive. Im still addicted to quilting. susie

Quote Originally Posted by melissa Dove
    Sorry you must have mis typed ! How CAN you have TOO MANY FQ's, just take them out of their store once in a while which is what I did yesterday when it was rainy and miserable and just cheered myself up by sorting and handling them, Its cheaper than any therapy I know, insulates your house , does not depreciate and can ultimately be used to construct something beautiful.....however if you really don't want them... I could help!! LOL
    Therapy.......great idea!

:thumbup:

I made a Bento Box quilt for DMIL.. I used everything from Civil War to Batiks.

As long as you can match the fabrics into pairs, you'll be just fine!

DMIL's quilt when I was laying out the blocks
    Name:  Attachment-247164.jpe
Views: 46
Size:  67.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    you can use them for purses
    I bought too many FQ on a Shop Hop last year so I used several of them and made a patch work purse/tote. The pattern is in the Spring 2010 issue of Quilts and More on page 26. It was very easy plus I learned how to make Prairie Points in the process. So I made another one the next day.
    The pattern doesn't even use much of each FQ so you'll have plenty left over to make something else. Go for it.

Your avitar is an lovely applique. I like fat quarters to make them. Perhaps you could plan some large plants or floral themes, or town scenes - in appliqued wall hangings to use them up?

The Turning Twenty patterns are great for this. There might also be some central theme you'll find in a group of the FQ.

WOW What a great link. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC
    Here is a good site to check for FREE PATTERNS
    http://www.fatquartershop.com/freequiltpattern.asp

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5