Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Too many projects and no desire to sew

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    I've felt that way, and I read this saying that sums it up for me:

"Nothing is as fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of uncompleted tasks."

I try to eliminate some of the tasks.
    I like that quote!

I became overwhelmed and depressed by the number of unfinished projects and didn't do any sewing for ages. In the end I put them all out of sight under the bed, just keeping one out to work on. Then I started following Leah Day's Quilt Along, which is helping me to stay motivated. I'm dipping in and out of several projects now, depending on what's needed for Leah's weekly tutorial. Still none completely finished, but a lot of progress and I'm enjoying myself again. Maybe you need to just focus on one item, andjust for short sessions until your energy and enthusiasm come back.

klc
    Like many of you, I also have those days. Right now I think it is the weather. I'm tired of gloomy days and I'm ready for sunshine and open windows. I have many projects in the works and I'm always planning on others. When I'm not motivated or inspired to quilt or sew I spend my time straightening and cleaning my sewing room or looking at other quilters ideas and completed projects. I might even get the house cleaned, laundry done or other sometimes neglected chores. Then, when I do get back my mojo I'm really inspired.
    Kathryn
    Janome Horizon 7700, Brother XR-7700, & Singer Stylist 533

Blog Entries
    sometimes i get that way when i start thinking about all of the different projects i (should) be working on- it gets overwhelming and causes (non-function)
    if you stop thinking about them as a whole and simply pick up one- and decide i am going to do THIS project- it seems to get a person back into it- and when you get that one done you feel (empowered) to do the next one---and before you know it they are done
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I totally agree with ckcowl. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by how much there is to do. Try to just focus on one project at a time.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Blog Entries
    For me personally, I don't do well with deadlines anymore. Too much corporate push over the years for one thing. The other thing I have realized is that for many quilters, myself included, this has somehow become more like a job than a hobby. I read in a book a year or so ago that historically it took most quilters one to two years to finish a bed sized quilt regardless if it was being hand or machine stitched or quilted. The other day I read a post from someone here who said she had made 52 quilts last year!! Why do we push ourselves to levels that aren't even realistic? The action that I am taking to relieve myself from the overload burden is to finish ALL of my UFO's and obligations this year. Next year I am going to start anew with a promise to myself to only do what is comfortable for me, taking my time and enjoying the process. Never again will I commit myself to "obligatory" sewing or quilting. Life is too short, we should enjoy it as much as possible.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Rose L View Post
    For me personally, I don't do well with deadlines anymore. Too much corporate push over the years for one thing. The other thing I have realized is that for many quilters, myself included, this has somehow become more like a job than a hobby. I read in a book a year or so ago that historically it took most quilters one to two years to finish a bed sized quilt regardless if it was being hand or machine stitched or quilted. The other day I read a post from someone here who said she had made 52 quilts last year!! Why do we push ourselves to levels that aren't even realistic? The action that I am taking to relieve myself from the overload burden is to finish ALL of my UFO's and obligations this year. Next year I am going to start anew with a promise to myself to only do what is comfortable for me, taking my time and enjoying the process. Never again will I commit myself to "obligatory" sewing or quilting. Life is too short, we should enjoy it as much as possible.
    I love this comment! How wise and how true. Many of us, often trained into it by our jobs, are so used to pushing ourselves as hard as we can, looking for achievement through speed and productivity - I get caught up into that, fretting about how slowly I'm progressing, and have watched other quilter friends who just drive themselves till their hobby becomes another task, another goal to be achieved. It's a bit of a balance, isn't it - I find that setting myself some goals or targets helps keep me on track, but I have to watch that they don't begin to suck the enjoyment out of what I'm doing. And I tend to rush at things as though there's not enough time to do them - and pay the consequences in terms of mistakes. At the moment I'm consciously trying to slow down, to take the time that's needed for preparation, both practical and reflecting on what I want to do, and to enjoy the actual process of quilting rather than looking ahead to the results all the time. That's why I've stowed all the UFOs out of sight - it takes the pressure off.

I think we all get that way sometimes. Like the other ladies here have said pick one and try working on it for a while. Once you get started, you'll probably get the inspiration you can't seem to find.
    katigirl

As cmrenno said, try working for just 15 minutes. It may inspire you to keep going. If not, don't put so much pressure on yourself that you do not enjoy the process instead of just the end result.
    Last edited by gabdr; 03-01-2012 at 04:10 AM.

I too used to have that happen, then I started working part-time at Hancock Fabrics. That keeps me in the mood to sew all of the time. I have never sewed so much - have never bought so much fabric as well. haha Your urge to sew will come back - it might be a while though unless you get that part-time job!
    Last edited by girlsfour; 03-01-2012 at 04:30 AM. Reason: wanted to add more

Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    Am I the only one who has several projects in the works and deadlines to meet and just don't feel like working on any of them? I need to sew 4 wall hangings, a baby quilt, jar openers, and several BOMs (of which I'm behind) and today I just have no desire to cut, iron or sew. Please tell me I'm not the only one to have this happen.
    I'm right there with ya. Now all I want to do is knit scarves and I have cut out a mock cathedral, dragon wall hanging and whatsername's bloomquilt. All are for birthdays coming up and I'm just not feeling them. I'm hope I'll get back in the mood soon. Worse is I have a designer diamond and have never done embroidery on it. I'm too intimidated. Maybe there is something over the counter we can take.

Yea, I get like that, too. Sometimes I'll make something that only takes a little bit of time like a little potholder or mug rug. That makes me feel like at least something is finished and it generally gets me moving on the stuff that I'm stuck on.

Blog Entries
    I went for about 9 months like that, mostly due to my husband's illness. I am back sewing now. In fact I bought your shamrock pattern and am working on it now. I love it. Got it at Bits and Pieces in Pelham. I will post a picture when I finish.

Blog Entries
    Seeing the lovely finished quilts posted on this Board is inspiring, but I know that I have to do things my way. Now that I'm retired, I can do that. I bookmark a lot of good ideas, and may get to them. Or not. No more deadllines or competitions for me!

I can go for 2=3months without desire to quilt except for little things to practice handquiting. I still enjoy looking at the mags and get excited if I see something I want to try. I used to get upset over not quilting as I have a beautiful machine & table to use. Now I think it will come back as it has before & try to remember I'm in this for pleasure only. My quilting desire has just ret'd about a wk ago & now am having fun trying a SBS for the first time. It feels so good. I also decided not to go for the biggies anymore, instead nothing more than a lapquilt cause it's easier to manage.

Sometimes we just need to stop and smell the roses.. or coffee.. or breathe. Quilting is fun for me and I try to keep it that way. However, there are times when it becomes stressful and usually it's because my plate of life is so full. I have to push the quilting back a bit because it can consume me. I follow Bonnie Hunters blog, Quiltville's Quips & Snips. On Sunday, Feb 26, she wrote about the postage stamp. "Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there." -Josh Billings. She continues on about the quote and what it means to her and talks about how she accomplishes what she does. I found it helpful for me. If i knew how to link it for you I would. She also talked about how overwhelmed quilters can get because of what they do or don't do. Perhaps the post would be helpful. Hang in there, hopefully time will help you. It usually does for me.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
    I follow Bonnie Hunters blog, Quiltville's Quips & Snips. On Sunday, Feb 26, she wrote about the postage stamp. "Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there." -Josh Billings. She continues on about the quote and what it means to her and talks about how she accomplishes what she does. I found it helpful for me. If i knew how to link it for you I would. She also talked about how overwhelmed quilters can get because of what they do or don't do. Perhaps the post would be helpful. Hang in there, hopefully time will help you. It usually does for me.
    Here's the link:
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012_02_26_archive.html

Good post -thanks for sharing it.

for those of us in the "north" I think it is a bit of cabin fever, even though where I am we have had a very mild winter, nonetheless, I still have a bit of it myself....I will just "wait it out" and when spring fever hits---look out world, here I come!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Yes, so i start out slow, otherwise i am so over whelmed i sit and cry, so now i am trying not to start anymore or let anyone talk me into making things for them. Before i know it it will be christmas and i will be screaming.
    Mary

I have those times as well. Instead of pondering it I have learned to just let it go. I clean up the sewing room and organize it so when the mood is back I am not stopped by the mess in the sewing room, I get on the internest and read and talk like I am now with other quilters and see their projects and that gets me motivated again. I finally found the quilt last night I want to make for our son who was wounded in Afghanistan. so it comes back slowly some times but thats ok. Just put it away...forget about it. do somthing else. You will get back to it. Have a sunny day.

You are not the only one this happens to. I think we all go through slumps where you have no ambition to get things done.

Quote Originally Posted by Conartist1945 View Post
    I went for about 9 months like that, mostly due to my husband's illness. I am back sewing now. In fact I bought your shamrock pattern and am working on it now. I love it. Got it at Bits and Pieces in Pelham. I will post a picture when I finish.
    I can't wait to see it! My next one will be out very soon with a few others right behind. Bits n Pieces is one of the many shops that is carrying my Twister line. Be sure to keep an eye on my website for the new ones, and maybe I will even see you at Bits n Pieces (I sew there a lot). The Quilted Crow in Boxborough also has my patterns.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I think everyone has been there at some time or another .. Go outside go to the mall walk around and get some inspiration. Or if reading a good book is yours, do it ...Take a mental break from sewing and seek as I call it "the Calgon take me away moments". LOL
    Sometimes when I am at work an idea comes to me and I scribble it down really quick, put it in my purse and forget about it . Then I decide my purse is getting awful heavy and I need to clean it out and there are some inspirations that help me out.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm starting to be back to myself after a few days of rest and not going near the machine. I am also a bit of a perfectionist and my machine seemed to be getting angry with me....if that makes sense....start to sew, thread breaks, start to sew and bobbin thread runs out (and the sensor never beeped to tell me I was low)...it was one thing after another and I had had it. Today I plan to sew some fun little things that always make me laugh when I'm working on them and we finally have pretty white snow outside! Although I am an adult, that snow is mighty tempting to go run and make a snow angel in or build a snowman! After all, I will always be a kid at heart! Hehehe Thanks for sharing the links and the wise words of wisdom. It's good to know that others find themselves in a sewing funk from time to time.

I have been in that mode too. I bought an egg timer so I can set it for 15 min. Then I race to get just one project moving again. We are hear to give you the boost and support. So please post the first finished project so we can cheer for you and join in the happy dance, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast