Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Too much stash and too little motivation!

Oh boy - do you ever sound like me. I have two tall bookcases just full of fabric and no enthusiasm whatsoever now. Maybe it's because we have had two funerals and our son was layed off work - are those excuses that are legitimate? However, they can't be 'cause this started several years ago and gradually got worse.

When my girls were little, I rarely had time to sew, but I loved buying fabric and dreaming about projects. Now they're a little older and loving the fact that I can find just about anything in my stash. I still shop, but I am using up fabric I've had for a while...my quilts look "vintage"!

It's hard to find time when working, so try going to quilterscatche.com and just making one block at a time of blocks that catch your eye. Put them away until you have enough for a quilt. One a week and by the end of the yr you would have plenty. I made my brother a stash quilt like that and he just loves it. If you take your time like that your not pushing yourself. It took me two yrs to make my dd quilt. lol

Do you have a quilting friend in close proximity? When I get in a 'slump', I find piecing quilts with a friend very motivational.

Thank you for your service to our country and God Bless!!

Tanya, You are officially a quilter---That's what quilters do! lol

Consider joining a "Virtual Quilting Bee". I did yesterday and almost have one top finished. It does help inspire and motivate.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...a-t203151.html

Or how about a Mystery Quilt? They are always fun. This one started on Saturday.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...e-t203100.html
    Sweet Caroline

Just try to relax and maybe set aside 1 hour a day to do some sewing? I need to take my own advise....lol. I am a LAQ so my time is limited too so I know how you feel. Best wishes!

I love the 10 min. quilt blocks and use them for lots of different projects and it uses up stass very well!

More tips, I love it! I do a have a great friend that I quilt with. We try to do at least 1 Saturday a month at the shop to try to work on stuff. Plus, right now we are taking a 4 part MQ down in Stuttgart. We just worked on clue 3 yesterday. I always have that to work on, but we meet once a month so I work on that bit by bit to have something to do. The quilters cache idea is a great one! I have found blocks that I really love already! That could be used to make a dream quilt for myself for later. You all are wonderful and so full of ideas!! Now I can't contain my excitement!!!

I hear you sister!! I have a huge amount of fabric calling my name right now. LOL. I think my problem is that there is too many projects and too little time to make what I want. My sewing has been for other people and charity for far too long now. I am backing out slowly from my time gobblers so that I can concentrate on using the dedicated fabric "kits" I have made up. I only buy for projects that are planned now and replacing the neutrals as needed.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

It is such a relief to see that I'm not the only one who gets OVERWHELMED! I too buy fabric for a project then the project never gets started. I think the fear of making a mistake is what stops me, or if it's to be a gift for someone I'm afraid they won't like it so I never get anything done except buy fabric. I'm trying to work through it by working on individual quilt blocks which I downloaded from the internet. When I get enough done to put together, I think that will boost my confidence.

I bought 60 yards of fabric at a going out of business sale....top line quilting cotton for 2.00 per yard...all of it seems to be focal fabric and no two go together....I'm making crib sheets, pillowcases, bags, I'm saving some for when my only grandchild gets a bit bigger. My interest has ebbed and flowed...you'll get your mojo back and will be glad you bought it.

It's great to see that I am not alone in my fabric hoarding!! With all of the ideas going in my head it's no wonder I can't get anything done. Plus family and work obligations are keeping me busy. I am just going to try the making blocks thing and see how that goes for a while.

The best way for me to climb out of a slump is to do something simple and get back to basics. From there, I seem to get interested in sewing and quilting again.

Boy there must be something wrong with me. I just can't seem to quilt enough. I sew all day long, all week long, all month long, all year long, as long as I can get away with it. I just can't seem to get enough of it. I let everything else go just to sew. I do live on a farm, we have a grass business, I have 8 grandchildren, I have flower and vegetable garden, and I have my grandchildren on ocassion. I love to sew and just wish I could get all the projects done I want to get done. I'd rather quilt than take care of other things. I'm bad.

I can relate to having fabric everywhere. For me, I find going through my stash, separate the colors refold, etc. Makes me want to quilt. Seeing all that fabric of mine, I start thinking while organizing, what I might want to make. Ok, that's the best I can say about cleaning and organizing in my stash! If you are going to make Christmas gifts, you may want to choose some of those fabrics to create something wonderful.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Is your stash organized? By color, maybe? By size of fabric piece?

Browse the internet for photos, then Shop your Stash to get started on a new project.
    A simple quilt to start you off, may just be the push you are looking for.

Susan
    NJ

My stash is pretty organized. i just want to get more straight with my smaller pieces of fabric. But I can deal with that right now. But I did look at a bit of it today. There is a particular pattern I like and I can readily make, I just want to make it larger next time. I think some of my weekend will be spent cutting out a few kits of this particular pattern. I do need to shop my stash more and that will cut down on my overwhelming fabric hoard! LOL

Well, my advice is this: Either clean the house (windows, scrub floors, weed the stack of mis-matched socks) or quilt. To me it's a no-brainer, but I know there are some ladies who love house work.

If only those were my 2 choices!! It the working that keeps me from quilting as much as I'd like. Believe me, I have thought of quitting since the pay is not much at all and the stress is high, but it is a job! I did work on a block today that I really liked, so maybe I will do one or two of those a night until my mojo gets back to working!

I have times like this also. If I haven't been in my sewing room for a time (sometimes I have to pack it up if kids come). It helps me to get in there tidy up, sort through projects I might have forgotten and before I know it I am eager to start something.
    I for one, spend too much time here reading about everyone elses projects sometimes.

when I get that way I watch a few tutorials and get motivated ... Missouri Star Quilt company has a lot of good ones and a few that would be great for small Xmas projects.

I think that especially with the price of fabric going up so much, that most of us indulge when we find a great sale. Do some small projects as suggested then look at your stash and see what goes together and the yardage of each. Then look at some patterns that you have been wanting to do or find some new ones where your stash will work.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    This could have be written by me, except for the new quilter part. I am lacking motivation right now and have way, way, way too much stash. I have been giving away my stash because of my guilt over how much I have and how I'll never make a dent in it. I gave 14 kits to a gal on this board last year and finally made a dent. Finally. But I have whole fabric lines that I'm not crazy about anymore and am having giveaways on my blog to give some of them away so I can further reduce my stash. I've done a pretty good job so far.
    But I haven't found my motivation. I was putting out quilt after quilt for so long that I think I burned out. I did my Craftsy BOMs and cut 2 1/2" strips for my binding for one of my 9 quilts that need to be bound, but didn't bind it. I told myself I couldn't do anything else until I bound all my 9 quilts. Too much to put upon myself. I have to change that. I have BOMs that I can do that I'm behind in and quilts I can pickup and complete and new ones to start, but no motivation. I go in my sewing room and can't even clean it. What is up with me? I'm like you. I don't know what to do. All I know is I'll continue to do the Craftsy BOM for sure. It might take until a snowfall for me to quilt. I love to quilt when it's snowing, so I might be reading books until then. So, you aren't the only one. And I don't know how to fix it either!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Start one block at a time. I get the same way. Sew many quilts, not enough time. Good Luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast