Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too Much? >

Too Much?

Too Much?

Old 04-09-2016, 01:18 PM
dms

Default Too Much?

Hi, I posted on another post, but thought it really is another subject, so here goes. There is a travel sewing bag pattern that I really like, but it is $13. It is rather complicated but that just seems like a lot. I'd be interested in hearing about what other people think.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:41 PM

I agree that $13 seems like a lot to pay for a bag pattern. I would consider how useful that bag will be to me and how unique it is. I would wonder if I could reverse-engineer a pattern from the photo. But if I really want it, and it won't wreck my budget and I am willing to forego something else I could buy with $13, I would purchase it. Sometimes, if I wait awhile, I often forget that I wanted something. Or, I might realize that I really want it in spite of its high price. Maybe a friend also likes it and might be willing to split the cost and share the pattern with you. Depending on the construction materials you use, $13 is a low price for a bag you will use often and enjoy a long time. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

I think that $13 plus shipping is a bit too much for just one pattern. Have you looked on eBay for a lesser price???
Old 04-09-2016, 04:12 PM

If the pattern saves you time, (vs figuring out what you want, trying it, adjusting it etc), fabric (because the pieces are cut the right size the first time) and energy, then it's worth it.
Also, there may be features you hadn't thought of, or techniques you haven't seen/used that make it a well constructed bag.
And I particularly like the idea of sharing the pattern with someone.
If I like a particular bag pattern, I will make it often.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
If the pattern saves you time, (vs figuring out what you want, trying it, adjusting it etc), fabric (because the pieces are cut the right size the first time) and energy, then it's worth it.
Also, there may be features you hadn't thought of, or techniques you haven't seen/used that make it a well constructed bag.
And I particularly like the idea of sharing the pattern with someone.
If I like a particular bag pattern, I will make it often.
I agree with this.

You deserve to spend $13 on yourself too
Old 04-10-2016, 01:50 AM

If you love the pattern and definitely want /will make it . I think $13 seems a cheap price to pay.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

I always look at any project this way: Is the cost of material and pattern worth what the value of the item is?
Old 04-10-2016, 07:40 AM

Try googling free bag patterns and see if you can find one similar to it for free and maybe simpler as well.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

The cost is your decision. If I want something and can afford it I buy it. I never think about justifying it.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:21 AM

Are there reviews for the pattern? Reviews will generally tell you if it is well written - or not. I don't mind paying for a pattern that I really like if it gives good, step by step instructions. Patterns that are too vague (meaning I have to figure the exact measurements or what I should be doing next) do not interest me at all, whether I paid for it or it was free. Would you need to buy notions (specific closures, lining, batting), and if you would, does that put the cost above how well you like the bag?

For something you really like, I don't think $13 is unreasonable. I took a tuffet class and paid more than that for the pattern, plus had to pay for the class, the foam, and a ruler! No specific plans for it, I just wanted to. Had a great time and really like the results.