Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Too warm to give quilt??

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I agree. we can all use a hug anytime and the knowledge that someone was thinking of us.

It's been about 90* here for about two weeks.

I still have two quilts on my bed, and one I cuddle with on the couch.

The comment about building a fort its AWESOME -- you know how kids use blankets for so much more than sleeping...

It's awesome that you're doing something nice for them - that's the coolest part of all...

It becomes more than just a quilt. I tell my kids their quilts are really special because I made them with love. You can't get that at a store. It's a hug from me when they hold it. They know their quilts are special. <3 :D

Blog Entries
    if they are done already, give them anyway. otherwise you could make your quilts "summer" quilts. no batting or only flannel inside.

Quilts are love gifts, you can give them any old time of the year, and I agree with the other posts, they aren't just for sleeping under. I often give quilts at Christmas, which is very hot here in Australia. They are always welcomed. I'm sure the children will love their quilts, no matter what the season.

You don't have to sleep on a quilt, or under a quilt...you can sleep with a quilt. Some children have their teddy bears, etc...and some have their quilt, kinda like a security blanket. Give the gift now. You're not giving it as a birthday or Christmas present, you are giving it "just
    because you care". Bet they'll never forget it.

I think they need a quilt to hold on to.

Please, please don't wait. Let those little ones know that you care. Half the time in Summer, I sleep with my feet hanging out from underneath the quilt. If I wake up cold the quilt is there to provide warmth to my tootsies. Some days I can't wait to go home and snuggle up with my "security blanket" and my kitty.

If you feel like holding off, give it to them at the start of the school year as a new beginning present..

Blog Entries
    Never too hot to give a quilt. Especially ones that will be loved and appreciated. Would love to see their faces when you give them to them.

I gave my 16 year old nephew a flannel quilt last week 90 deg weather and humid.... he loved it. His mother told me that she went in to wake him up for school and he was wrapped up in it like a cocoon. So I would say anytime is a great time to give or get a quilt.

Some of my warmest memories of growing up involved quilts, keeping me warm in the winter to make-shift tents over the clothesline all summer long! I just spent two days cuddling with my 3 year old granddaughter and the throw I quilted for her. Special times!

I am giving a quilt for a wedding gift in July ( in Illinois)then the newlyweds are moving to Texas, Hot both places. My newly engaged soon to be daughter inlaw will be getting a quilt in July from me for her birthday as well as my sil. They will be smiles everywhere.

How about making an Ispy quilt or a ring toss quilt, or checkers, something of that sort? I made an I spy quilt for my GS,and he loves it,his mom and him I spy quilt often.

give them now it shows someone cares

I thought the same thing, but my best friend has been going through a tough time and often says she's going to go cuddle with her quilt. Even if she just lays on top of it, it brings her comfort and reminds her that she is loved. I'm sure the same would be true with the kids you speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    If not under it on top of it...but always surrounded by love.
    NICE|||| can I use it on by quilt lables????????????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tweezy50
    I need to know.....because of a situation that I won't go into now, we have "inherited" a new family branch. ?there is a 3 year old little girl and a 5 year old boy. The family has very little as far as posessions. The parents are hard workers. It's just that luck has not been their friend lately. I am making the children eachtheir own little quilt and possibly a pillow case to match.

Problem is, the weather here will be hitting 90-100 degrees soon. Probably won't be much of a need for quilts to stay warm! (Duh). Would it be silly to give them to the children now or should I wait until cooler weather? Don't want to look like I'm just a silly ol' grandma, but would like to help them out.

Guess after all this, my question is.....is there a quilt giving season?
    Quilt-giving season is year-round. It is more about the love that went into the making of the quilt than the actual quilt itself. At least that is how I look at it. Most people don't really know how much work goes into the making of one, but they can FEEL the love when they touch it. May sound kinda hokey, but my GKs love when I make them a quilt, no matter how many I make them. Go to it, and enjoy the new family!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    A quilt is more than just a blanket. It's personal. I think they would love your welcoming gesture.
    I completely agree. If it was for just physical comfort you could just give an old army blanket.(well, not too comfy there) but it's the emotional comfort that seems more important at this time. Find out their favorite colors, animals, bugs; make it something solely their own & they'll never forget your kindness.

Blog Entries
    I think it is kind and generous of you to do this for the children. they will love the quilts.
    I want to make a quilt and pillow case for some foster children. My dauhgter is a CASA rep for 3 children at this time. It would give these kids something of their own.

Kids use quilts to lay to watch TV, read, make forts, etc. It gives them comfort all year. Go for it now.

It's always a good time for quilt-giving, especially to kids who may not have a lot right now. They could probably use something of "their very own".

I think there's a time to use but never a time to give.

Blog Entries
    Quilts are great anytime. It may be to warm to sleep under one but it is never too hot to lay on the floor with one.

It's been 105/106 and I still sleep with a quilt. I really dislike A/C, so I am happy to have a quilt on top of me to bind.

My DGS has his 4th birthday Friday. He wants another Gramma quilt. And he'll get one. He lives in Central KS and it's been in the 100's there already.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast