Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without...... >
  • Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without......

• Tools you thought were extravagant and now can't live without......

Old 04-26-2018, 04:42 PM
    Power Poster

I also got a Juki and I absolutely love it. I use it for FMQ and have really improved. I haven't used it for piecing but everyone tells me I should. I'm really attached to my Bernina so I use both.
    Old 04-26-2018, 04:44 PM

the wonder clips. didn't think I really needed them yet once I tried them I realized they are worth it.
    Old 04-26-2018, 06:55 PM

I thought my accuquilt studio and the dies that I purchased were extravagant. Now I know they were not because I use them for every quilt I do.

Also treated myself to a gingher scissor from Walmart. Oh, my! What a pleasure is to use!
    Old 04-29-2018, 07:46 AM
    Power Poster

My Big Board ironing surface.

DH probably could have made one for less than I spent on it - but I bought it at a show and it was already "done" - have had it for years now.
    Old 05-01-2018, 03:26 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
    You know, there is one more item I want to mention. Although it's not very extravagant, I am absolutely *loving* the General Sketch and Wash pencils that someone on the board recommended awhile ago:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y2MD16/

I keep one out now because I am using it all the time. Right now I am using it to mark the halves and quarters for my current quilt's multiple borders (much better than using straight pins). I also used it to draw lines when piecing the borders. This is really a nice pencil! I can press lightly and get a light mark, or I can press a little more heavily and get a really dark mark. And the best thing is, the marks will all wash out!

This is *so* much better than a regular pencil. I plan to use it to mark quilting lines on light fabrics. This pencil, along with sharpened chalk (for dark fabrics), are all I will need for marking quilting lines, I think.

I wish I could remember who recommended this pencil. Whoever it was, thank you!!!
    I, too, am very fond of these pencils - I've seen them in white, gray, and dark (black?) - the marks usually brush off. I seldom use the gray ones.

An eyebrow pencil sharpener works better than a "regular" pencil sharpener for these pencils.
    Old 05-02-2018, 05:10 AM

QuiltE, your work-around is a great idea! Wish I'd known about it before I spent the money on my rotating mat!
    But now that I think about it I am just going to use my smaller mat w/o the larger one and just turn it. I can't believe I didn't think about that myself!!! (yeah, I can believe it....just didn't want to admit it....LOL!)

Last edited by Sew Freak; 05-02-2018 at 05:14 AM.
    Old 05-02-2018, 06:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sew Freak
    QuiltE, your work-around is a great idea! Wish I'd known about it before I spent the money on my rotating mat!
    But now that I think about it I am just going to use my smaller mat w/o the larger one and just turn it. I can't believe I didn't think about that myself!!! (yeah, I can believe it....just didn't want to admit it....LOL!)
    Sometimes we all can't see the tree for the forest ... and the obvious is just not!
    Old 05-02-2018, 11:29 AM

The OLFA rotating mat is sturdy in the middle
    Old 05-02-2018, 11:48 AM

I love having an embroidery machine, but set mine high and stand in front of it to change threads - but will be buying an embroidery only Brother next year as my extravagance. I just have to find a store that gives good lessons or a good conference.
    Also love Elmer's for binding, strip cutter, and I couldn't live without Electric Quilt 8!
    Old 05-02-2018, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by hray
    I don’t know what brand my rotating mat is, but it’s in the pile for our next yard sale. It has a lot of give in the middle, which means that cuts get all wonky, and I hate using it. Is the OLFA mat solid (well supported) all the way across the middle?
    Mine is great...and yes, supported! I keep it on the machine AND never leave it when headed to retreats!