Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Top Thread occasionally shredding on Babylock Tiara machine >

Top Thread occasionally shredding on Babylock Tiara machine

Top Thread occasionally shredding on Babylock Tiara machine

Old 03-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Default Top Thread occasionally shredding on Babylock Tiara machine

I知 hoping someone out there can help me. When I知 quilting with my Tiara, the thread will suddenly shred and when I stop the machine I note it is wrapped around the needle looped to the back which is causing the thread to shed. Sometimes I can unloop it and carry on. It is usually when I am sewing backwards. It痴 very annoying to have to stop and rethread the needle so I知 hoping someone can help me out. The tension is perfect, new needle inserted properly...so wondering if a bobbin genie would help. Can a bobbin genie be used in a Tiara machine?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 AM
Administrator

you only use a bobbin genie if you are using a bobbin that is smaller than your machine calls for.

if your machine manual calls for a class 15/A, and you are using a class L, a bobbin genie would definitely be a good idea. (i drop a dime into the bobbin case well when i can't find my genie. that also seems to work.)

if you are using the correct bobbin size then you probably need to adjust the speed at which you are moving the quilt sandwich around under the needle.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:00 PM

There is a Tiara group on Facebook that would likely be able to help, if you use FB.

Watson
Old 03-13-2019, 03:51 PM

What type of needle/size are you using to quilt? Try changing the type of needle to a Microtex or Top Stitch if your machine takes them generally.

The next step is to change out the needle again. Even though you have a new one in now, try changing it. They can have burrs on them or be bent sometimes.

Does your machine have setting preference pages? Check those settings that they are on the default settings. They may have been changed by accident My EMB machine setting was changed for the height of the EMB foot. It caused shredding.

These are suggestions that our LQS tries for customers.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-13-2019, 04:36 PM

What kind of thread are you using. I had an issue with one color of a particular brand - it was marked as 40 wt - but when compared to another 40 weight thread it was definitely much thinner and lighter weight. Try a different thread.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:01 PM

I have a Tiara as well and was having terrible issues with shredding. Finally took it in for servicing after multiple needle changes, thread changes and general hair pulling. The shop called 15 min later...problem solved. My needle was not straight. They gave me a needle alignment magnet (who knew such a thing existed?) which gives a clear indication of whether the needle is properly rotated.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 PM

If your thread is looping around the needle, there is something wrong in your thread path. I would look at right after it shreds..look at where it shreds..if it's above the needle you may not have threaded it correctly or you may have a burr somewhere..if it's shredding at the needle, try going up a size and try that.