Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tracing Paper and Wheel for marking? Paper stencils? >

Tracing Paper and Wheel for marking? Paper stencils?

Tracing Paper and Wheel for marking? Paper stencils?

Old 04-20-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
If you already use stencils I don't see how the colored paper and tracing wheel can be faster.
I'm thinking if I use the tracing wheel on top of the paper stencils...
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM

I have lots of paper stencils as well, and can't figure out a good way to transfer.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:46 PM

Please tell me what is a pounce pad. I ask about that in hobby lobby and they did not know what I was taking about. Thanks
Originally Posted by ckcowl
i use a pounce pad to mark stencil patterns on the top of a quilt- as for the tracing paper---sometimes it works ok===
ALWAYS TEST a small area of your project regardless of what you choose to use to mark with- just because something came off the last quilt does not mean it will come off the next one-
most of the time the tracing paper stuff does wash out, but better to check than ruin a whole top
Old 04-20-2011, 06:48 PM

Pounce pad. I've seen them at JoAnn's and quilting stores.

http://www.amazon.com/Quilt-Pounce-P.../dp/B000J3RSW6

You can buy blue chalk or white.
It is supposed to be easy to use. I haven't tried it yet, but I know my LQS sells it for $20 for the set, so this is a good price.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I have lots of paper stencils as well, and can't figure out a good way to transfer.
I use a light box. I put a light bulb inside a wooden box, about 12" deep, and put a piece of glass on the open top of the box. Tape the quilting pattern to the glass and place the quilt top on the pattern. The lines of the pattern will show through the fabric and can be traced. You just move the quilt around to trace all the areas you want that pattern. The light heats up the glass and depending on what you are marking with, if it gets too hot you may have to turn the light off and let it cool down.

I've marked several quilts this way. You can also use a window if it is a bright day outside. But handling a large quilt against a window never worked will for me.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Barb44
I use a light box. I put a light bulb inside a wooden box, about 12" deep, and put a piece of glass on the open top of the box. Tape the quilting pattern to the glass and place the quilt top on the pattern. The lines of the pattern will show through the fabric and can be traced. You just move the quilt around to trace all the areas you want that pattern. The light heats up the glass and depending on what you are marking with, if it gets too hot you may have to turn the light off and let it cool down.

I've marked several quilts this way. You can also use a window if it is a bright day outside. But handling a large quilt against a window never worked will for me.
Well, this sounds dumb, but I never knew what a light box was for...thanks for the info.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

I am going to try the free sample from Saral Paper.
I also have the Pounce.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 AM

I use the pounce pad and it work great. The powder comes off with just a few wipes when finished.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:43 AM

Couldn't you sew over the paper stencils with no thread in the needle, and then you could use the pounce method over the holes you made? Just a theory, don't know if it will work.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:04 AM

I use Golden Threads paper - light weight gold color paper that you trace your paper design onto. I then tape or pin the paper (in small sections) to my quilt - it tears off very easily without disturbing the stitches. This has worked well for me on many quilts.