Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tracing Paper and Wheel for marking? Paper stencils? >
  • Tracing Paper and Wheel for marking? Paper stencils?

• Tracing Paper and Wheel for marking? Paper stencils?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
    Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    I have lots of paper stencils as well, and can't figure out a good way to transfer.
    Couldn't you sew over the paper stencils with no thread in the needle, and then you could use the pounce method over the holes you made? Just a theory, don't know if it will work.
    Yes, I use regular copies paper, cut it to the size I need, layer 5 sheets with the pattern on top, sew with no thread in needle to make holes(use a larger needle, like jean size), separate the sheets.

Now I use a touch of fabric glue stick on the back to hold the template in place, place it where I want, and bounce with the dust (if I am marking a light colored fabric, I add a small amount of cinnamon to the dust, which helps it show up and the quilt smells nice too!).

The stencil is reusable many times, so I put them in plastic bags when done, and keep them in a binder. Label the bag with design name, size, etc. for future reference.

I have also used freezer paper to do the same thing, then you can just lightly press the paper in place. Only difference is that the freezer paper tends to curl up, which can be annoying.

Hope this helps.
    Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 AM

I have used this method and it worked great for me. I showed the process here. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23254-1.htm
    Originally Posted by texpat45
    Has anyone used the Glad Press n Seal to mark quilting designs? Seemed to be popular a few years ago - before I was interested in quilting. Would like to know if someone has used this method...
    Old 04-21-2011, 05:29 AM

I still use the wheel and tracing paper and the blue, yellow and red do not wash out right away. I use a laundry spray wash to get the markings off.
    Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 AM

I have a tracing wheel that doesnt have the teeth but is smooth all around to work with the tracing paper.
    Originally Posted by purplemem
    Do you remember when we used to buy tracing paper (it came in red, blue, yellow, and white) and a tracing wheel? I'm wondering if this could be used on quilts to mark. Does it wash off?

If you have experience using this, please add to this thread. Enquiring minds want to know... :-D

I use stencils but am trying to find a faster way to mark.

And...how do you transfer your paper stencil patterns to your quilt? I have very old paper stencils printed on regular paper I want to use, but can't figure out a good way to do this.
    Old 04-21-2011, 05:39 AM

I always use the Ultimate pencil or F&P gray or white marking pencils and it always washes out.
    Old 04-21-2011, 05:52 AM

I just finished a quilt with a undulating feather design in the outside border. I enlarged the pattern from a quilt magazine to fit the border. Traced it onto a strip of wedding tulle with black thick Sharpie Then pinned the tulle to the quilt and marked the design with a blue Mark B Gone pencil from Hobby Lobby. After you quilt it, you wipe the markings off with a damp cloth.
    Old 04-21-2011, 06:01 AM
    Power Poster

I've tried several different ways and I always end up coming back to either a light box (my big square ruler balanced between 2 chair seats and a lamp on the floor underneath) and the blue wash away marking pen or sewing through the traced design on some type of tracing paper and then ripping off the paper. Or...I just eyeball and FM the thing.

I did try the GPnS...please don't. It will void the warranty on your machine if they figure out that is how you gummed it up...and it is a huge mess. I did it with a quilt and thought I would NEVER get the stuff off. Points where many stitch lines met were horrible. UGH...I'll never do it again!!
    Old 04-21-2011, 06:40 AM

I'm still a lover of friXion pens to mark anything and everything.
    Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 AM

Thanks for replies about the PNS. I'll try some practice pieces to see how it goes for me and will also try the marking pencils, etc. So many great suggestions! Thanks, everyone!
    Old 04-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    There is a tracing paper on the market for quilt marking. It is called transdoodle and makes a chalk mark on the quilt. I transfer it using a stylus rather than a tracing wheel. The marks rub out very easily though so I find I have to go over them with something else more durable if the quilt is being handled alot like in DSM FMQ or HQ in a lap hoop or just mark as I go. But even with mark as I go, I am going over the marks again with my F&P Mechanical pencil. I have heard that Saral paper works just as well but have not yet got around to ordering any to try. Saral is the transfer paper often used in tole folkart painting. It comes in white and graphite. The cost is MUCH less than transdoodle.

I recently got another type of transfer paper on line but have not tested it yet either but I did notice it is much heavier than the transdoodle and the sheets are a much smaller size than transdoodle. This paper was also marketed to quilters so I am hoping it will work ok. It came in white, blue, yellow, pink.

I think the most important thing besides testing is to make sure the transfer paper has no wax content.
    Wow! I just went to the Saral website and they offer a free sample:

http://www.saralpaper.com/sample.html
    Thanks for the address. Will send for my free sample.