Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tracking >

Tracking

Tracking

Old 02-05-2017, 07:45 PM

Wow this is a timely post. For the first time in history I have. All my supplies were bought at a local quilt shop. It is a lap quilt. 39 "by 49". Cost $152.00 That includes the cost of replacing a 45mm blade. It's a commission quilt for a neighbor. Geez I haven't even added my time!!
Old 02-05-2017, 08:57 PM

As I have paid for it myself I am not accountable to anyone. I don't very often buy fabric anymore as I just don't have the room. These days it is machine embroidery designs. Probably have more than I'll ever use. Have to spend it on something. If I save too much the government will want me to pay tax. Paid enough when I worked.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:43 AM

Don't want to put a damper on anyone, but I wonder how my homeowners insurance would pay up in case of some catastrophe struck? I do track all my monthly expenses and have for years. Started one year when I kinda did a" how much in how much out" talley. Could not account for over $8000! That bothered me a great deal, so I made a spreadsheet in Excel and just enter things as they happen. No big deal. That being said, while I have listed all my purchases and the amounts over the years, I have not added them all up.
I own 4 machines and do know they cost a total of about $14000. A significant amount if I had to replace them. That does not include the fabric, thread, tools, notions, etc that would have to be replaced.
I think I need to talk to my insurance person about this. Do I need a special add-on for this? Maybe increase my amount of coverage. And I am retired living on that "fixed income" and no husband to help me out.
Kinda wished I had skipped this thread.....lol
Old 02-06-2017, 05:04 AM

When I buy fabric, I pin the receipt or a note to it showing the cost per yard. That way when I use part of it I can figure out the cost if I want to.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
Don't want to put a damper on anyone, but I wonder how my homeowners insurance would pay up in case of some catastrophe struck? I do track all my monthly expenses and have for years. Started one year when I kinda did a" how much in how much out" talley. Could not account for over $8000! That bothered me a great deal, so I made a spreadsheet in Excel and just enter things as they happen. No big deal. That being said, while I have listed all my purchases and the amounts over the years, I have not added them all up.
I own 4 machines and do know they cost a total of about $14000. A significant amount if I had to replace them. That does not include the fabric, thread, tools, notions, etc that would have to be replaced.
I think I need to talk to my insurance person about this. Do I need a special add-on for this? Maybe increase my amount of coverage. And I am retired living on that "fixed income" and no husband to help me out.
Once the DH knee replacement has healed, we plan to meet with insurance agent about our home owner's coverage and this is something that we plan to ask about. Not so much the fabrics as let's face it, even if the house burnt down I'm not running out to replace my stash but would grow it much like I did. But about the 5 DSM, commercial machine and long arm that I own. Plus, as I quilt for others I'm wanting to up my liability coverage on that, too. No fun paying for all that, but when we had a 3 car garage/shop hit by mini-tornado 3 years ago, we were so glad that our insurance was solid and no hassle.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:24 AM

Would you mind sharing what some of your categories are when tracking through excel? Do you list by date or project? thanks!

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
Old 02-07-2017, 10:51 AM

I'm an Accountant by trade, so the last thing I want to do on my free time is record keeping.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:55 AM

I'm an Accountant by trade, so the last thing I want to do on my free time is record keeping.

Last year we met with our insurance agent, and my fabric and supplies go under our regular home owner's policy. DH takes a pictorial inventory every so often all our belongings.

I have a separate policy on my sewing machines, but I have a bit more than what the average person would own.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 AM

Never tally. Others have hobbies that are just as, or maybe even more, expensive. With fabric, notions, etc. you not only get the pleasure of making something (quilts, clothing, home decor , etc.) but, also, the pleasure of gift giving if you choose. Plus, you don't have to use colors the "market" chooses for you each year in readyware. For me the cost is worth it. Some people paint with paints...others "paint" with fabric.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:47 PM

Love that expression Wonnie!