Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trading in one brand sewing machine for another? >

Trading in one brand sewing machine for another?

Trading in one brand sewing machine for another?

Old 03-16-2014, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Actually after going to the Bernina Dealer on Thursday, after being assured they do take trade ins, I discovered they were willing to give me 500 for it. It is a 7500 machine. Don't think so. The gal went through all the trouble of showing me several different machines and then dropped that bomb on me.
And also after using the Bernina I like the Janome I have better. If I could just get the needle threader to function properly I'd be good to go.
My Janome has so many more stitches on it, a wider throat and even though I don't embroider that often, the capability is there. I use the cloth guide, which is part of the embroidery function, to get a great seam.
So if nothing else, it was good to see what's out there that I thought I wanted.
If anyone else has a Janome with a fussy needle threader let me know what to do about it. That little metal thingy that's supposed to come through the eye of the needle is off to the side.
I have Janome 11000 and never use the needle threader.To difficult.Other people have said the same.
Gale
Old 03-16-2014, 04:47 AM

I recently tried thw Juki at a quilt show and was blown away.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:49 AM

How about Craig's List? I'm amazed at how popular that is and how far away from where they live people look for stuff on it.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:02 AM
Administrator

I confess to being very fond of needle threaders that work properly.
I also admit to getting very irritated when they don't.

however ... if that's the only thing about a machine that doesn't please me, i wouldn't even think about plunking down new $$$ to replace it. i'd just "suck it up" and thread it the old fashioned way.

the malfunction you describe could have any one (or combination) of several causes:

1. incompatible [most likely too "fat"] thread, as suggested by Sabrina.

2. the needle is not shoved up all the way when you put it in.

3. brand or size of needle that won't line up with the little wire no matter what you do. (i have good luck with both schmetz and organ on my janome MC11000. there's one size that doesn't line up, but i can't remember which it is. on my janome Horizon, organ needles are the only ones that line up consistently.)

4. the little wire hook is bent, so will not line up with the needle's eye. grab a magnifying glass to see if that's the case. if you are very careful, you can tweak it back into alignment by gently nudging with the tip of your seam ripper, or the tip of your smallest screw driver.

5. the little wire is just plain broken. the little plastic part that includes the wire can be easily replaced. it just snaps off and on. any dealer should be able to order one for you.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:03 AM

As for the needle threader, I have a Babylock, and it actually states in the book that the threader works best with the needle in its highest point. And you know what, that book is right : ). And honestly my needle threader is very important, like a make it or break it type thing. If mine was not working, I would be having it fixed. These machines are not cheap by any means and they should work the way they are supposed to. So I suggest talking to the dealer where you bought it, and see if they know of any tricks, or take it in and have it repaired.

And if you were at a Janome store trading up for another Janome, you would be offered so much more in trade it. I think I would have laughed at $500 .... !!!

Best of luck...
Old 03-16-2014, 05:16 AM

I am not happy with my Janome either. :-(
Old 03-16-2014, 05:26 AM

[QUOTE=sval;6625718]Does anyone know if you can trade in a Janome at a Bernina Dealer? I know I can call, but the store doesn't open for an hour.

I know last summer Bernina was taking trade in for other machines. I have quite a few vintage machines but none that I wanted to get rid of. The couple that I did get rid of went to my oldest granddaughter. I now have a Bernina. I love it but kind of wish it didn't have so many bells and whistles that I probably won't ever use them...ok I"ll confess...won't ever learn to use!! LOL
Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 AM

Needle does need to be in highest position.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:41 AM

Ridiculous offer on your machine! Funny, that they changed their minds....someone in the shop probably wanted your machine, but $500 for a $7500 machine! Really? They have up to a $1000 wiggle room on their Berninas, so you would have been giving them the machine for nothing. The needle threader is easy to fix whether you do it yourself, or have the dealer do it. If it is brand new, it is under warranty and they will fix it while you wait if you call ahead of time to see if they have that part in the store. Otherwise, I have used a small tweezers and magnifier to bend the little metal piece back to where it was. A larger eye needle will handle almost all threads...make sure it is a Topstitch either 80/12 or 90/14,depending on your thread. I use Organ titanium topstitch 80/12 and 90/14's. Glad you decided to keep your Janome. I have the 6600,3160 for class, 8900,350E and 11000SE.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:48 AM

Did you get a DVD with your machine? I did with the 8900. See if it shows a close up of the needle being threaded.
I agree, when I prepare to thread the needle I use the needle down needle up first. And I let go of the threader mechanism slowly so I can see the little loop coming through.

And I did have to take my 9000 in to have the little wire replaced one time...
Let us know how it goes.