Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Traingle ruler that will work with OBW: where? >

Traingle ruler that will work with OBW: where?

Traingle ruler that will work with OBW: where?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
Cause after extensive research (lil laugh) ..I read that having the tip helped you line up your hexagons better.

By the way, how do you like your Star Maker 6?...When I first started quilting/researching quilting ...I had seen a vid of kay woods making her tumbling blocks quilt...I fell in love with it...I ordered the pattern and whatever ruler it took to make it....
I just searched all my stuff to see if it was the star maker 6...And couldnt find it anywhere grrr.. But, I do believe that was the one...I've yet to try it...I didn't find much on this site when searching Kaye woods..
Problem number 1 is it is Kaye Wood-----no s.... Her site is:

http://www.kayewood.com/kwtv.html

Her rulers are here:

http://www.kayewood.com/category/Rul..._Templates/c68

Also the lack of tip keeps the bulk down in the very center and it makes it easier to line things up.

She is the best kept secret. If you have her 3 Starmaker rulers you won't need anybody else's rulers. These 3 rulers cover every angle that a quilter uses except the wedge ones. I will figure out a way to use them on the Spiral table runner yet!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 AM

Great info guys, thanks so much...

And I'm so glad you said that about Kaye Wood, coyotequilts.. I really did like her site, her vids and her rulers looked really " user friendly"... I will definitely test out the one I have soon and add the other Starmakers to my soon to get list..Now if only her pattern and or CD is that easy to use/watch lol.thanks again
Old 01-12-2011, 12:58 AM

I also agree, the blunt tip does make it a lot easier and looks nicer without all those big bumps.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Banned

[quote=CoyoteQuilts]
Cause after extensive research (lil laugh) ..I read that having the tip helped you line up your hexagons better.

Also the lack of tip keeps the bulk down in the very center and it makes it easier to line things up.

While this is true for stars, it isn't true for the OBW's. You need those points to align the triangles, and it doesn't add to the bulk. I've made at least 4 of them. The first one I cut off about half the tips before I realized how much harder that made it to line things up. Just my NTBHO. You could ask k3n and Katrine, they are the queens of OBW's, but I'm pretty sure they will tell you not to cut off the points for your OBW.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:07 AM

I also have made some and found it much easier without the tip. I have tried both rulers (couldn't find one of them in a pile of fabric for awhile lol). It just goes to show that everyone is different even though we all have talent. :)
Old 01-12-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
While this is true for stars, it isn't true for the OBW's. You need those points to align the triangles, and it doesn't add to the bulk. I've made at least 4 of them. The first one I cut off about half the tips before I realized how much harder that made it to line things up. Just my NTBHO. You could ask k3n and Katrine, they are the queens of OBW's, but I'm pretty sure they will tell you not to cut off the points for your OBW.
So totally true. This isn't HST work.

AD, whatever you do, don't trim off the tips of the triangles for an OBW. You will want all of them on, for lining up the triangles and later the strips. It's fun making an OBW, and a ton more fun when the assembly goes smoothly and you can focus on playing with your design. :thumbup:

Re rulers, for OBW I use a clearview triangle super 60 ruler and really like it.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 AM

[quote=salmonsweet]
Originally Posted by gaigai
Re rulers, for OBW I use a clearview triangle super 60 ruler and really like it.
Hey Salmon, May I ask, here did you purchase your clearview ruler? Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 06:45 AM

Thank you, Sharon, for the Kaye Wood (no s) link. I was in a hurry and didn't look it up.

ArtisticDesign--I love the Star Maker 6. I was hand piecing a Grandmother's Flower Garden at the time and using Kay's method of cutting the hexagons so was specifically looking for her booth that year. I also want the Star Maker 8 but don't have a project in mind yet but when I do--her ruler will be the one I buy.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:48 AM

Hey Salmon, May I ask, here did you purchase your clearview ruler? Thanks
Uh well, I'm in the UK so not sure how much my shopping info will help you! :) I bought mine online, from cottonpatch.co.uk. If you google "clearview triangle super 60" you should be able to find US online shops that sell it. But I thought you said you wanted offline sources, so...
Old 01-12-2011, 06:48 AM

Well darn, I have a pretty big bucket list and now I think my Starmaker/tumbling blocks project just jumped above my Betty Boop quilt Ha!( if I can find the darn thing lol)....Thanks so much for your input ladies