Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Transparent Canning Jar >

Transparent Canning Jar

Transparent Canning Jar

Old 08-09-2020, 09:20 AM

Default Transparent Canning Jar

I am new to applique but I really enjoy it. I would like to make a quilt with a canning jar full of flowers, similar to this.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...mageBasicHover

How would I make the jar appear to be transparent? Would I use something like tulle? I have never used that in a quilt before. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:34 AM

I don't know that I would use tulle unless this quilt is a wall hanging that will no put it at risk. Another thing I recently discovered at a workshop I attended using tulle on a quilt (wall hanging) was using black tulle somehow worked better for quilting as the object was not washed out for lack of color or tone.

I would use a White on White for the jar and be sure that the stems were appliqued outside the jar with the ring of the jar over the stems. You may want to get a be of dimension by adding a bit of gray to make the bottom of the jar. You may have a bit of hand embroidery stitching to provide for the rest of the bottom, to make the circular aspect as well as the upper ring. Of course these are my thoughts and it is always up to the quilter. I can wait to see what you are doing!
Old 08-09-2020, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Using a pale fabric for the jar and appliqueing the stems of the flower on top of it as juliasb suggested.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:51 AM

To me it looks like they first appliqued the stems and then covered them with organza and then embroidered the gray details and shape of the jar. This kind of organza has some kind of shimmer to make it look like glass.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:58 AM

She says she uses organza on some and clear vinyl on others.

http://marvelesartstudios.com/new-ti...n-jar-pattern/
Old 08-09-2020, 01:28 PM

Tulle would not be my first choice (usually too coarse a weave), but I've used many different fabrics from the specialty/evening section of the fabric store in quilts. As always, I believe in washing first -- its amazing how well some of the delicate looking fabrics can wash -- also do an iron check, some things melt just being next to one others can go to the moon and back. Organza, bridal illusion net, even check out the drapery liner section!
Old 08-09-2020, 01:40 PM

Thanks for your input, it really helps to hear other ideas. I will go to Wal-Mart (my only local option) next week to see what I can find. I may have to order something online. My background fabric looks like chicken wire so I cut out a Mason jar template from the background fabric and matched it to the background. I will stitch the stems to that then place the organza or whatever I can find over that. I think that will give it a bit of dimension and I can add more dimension with the quilting.

Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:02 PM

I think your project sounds lovely, Colorado Quilter.

Typically Walmarts around here do have the clear vinyl to sew through, they might have other choices as well.

Also look at wide ribbons while there, sometimes you can find wonderful stuff wound around a spool. . Even if they have wire edges you can take or cut those out. Again do a wash/durability test even if you don't expect to need it. Some dollar stores also have some pretty nice trims and stuff for weddings or parties and that might be another place to look. My local store (Dollar Tree) doesn't have much of a craft section, but the one out by my mom's has rows of stuff.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:45 PM

I did two tshirts with a jar appliqué. I used a thin vinyl that was advertised as washable. It lasted on the kid’s shirts with a few washings. I got the vinyl at Joann’s. They also have vinyl you apply directly to the fabric to,waterproof it. I was t fond of the one I did like this (different design). It wasn’t shiny like the appliquéd vinyl.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

It looks very pretty. I hope you can find something.