Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trash To Treasure >

Trash To Treasure

Trash To Treasure

Old 03-16-2013, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I'm really interested in hearing if any of you are like me, I love to repurpose and reuse garage sale or flea market items in my sewing room. Would love to hear your ideas!

i needed to raise a thrift store table to make a cutting table. Instead of running out to the store to get bed elevator things or whatever they are - I went out in the garage and got 4 paint cans. Lol worked great!!!
HAY!! sideways: Go to the paint store and ask them for new ones{ let them know your are a crafter and they may gave them to you } and put some rock in them. the ones with paint in them will at some point leak and you don't have time to stop and remover paint [will take up to much quilitng time.]. the cans are great idea. my was 4x4's
Old 03-16-2013, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

You can slide plastic pipe over table legs to raise them, too. Much more sturdy than setting the legs on something else.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:09 AM

If you like the repurpose idea..ya' gotta' watch Flea Market Flip, on HGTV, I believe it's on Friday nights @ 9:00. Check your local TV Guide. It is SEW much fun to watch, & you get good ideas! They make tables, cabinets, etc out of all kinds of neat items!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have been doing a lot of thinking about this. I am getting ready to do up a sewing room and a shop for my repairs. I have mainly found cool stuff at the thrift store or stuff we have had around. I picked the trash last week - there was an ironing board with legs that had gone pretzel. I took off the legs and the cover. Then I hung the ironing board on the wall. I haven't figured out if pegs will go in the holes or not but magnets sure do stick. I should paint it up cool some time. For now it is gray. I also found a wood medicine cabinet at a thrift store - it holds tons of stuff. The towel holder holds stuff, too. I use an old sewing table with a Formica sink cut out for my work bench. I look forward to more ideas here!
miriam: try curtin hock [some of the bigger ones that you can binded you kind pull them out and make thread holds ] in your ironing borad.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:20 AM

My sewing table is a 40"x60" mahogany executive desk, that I found at a thrift store for $50 it is L shaped and hubby intends to recess my machine too! wow
Old 03-16-2013, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
miriam: try curtin hock [some of the bigger ones that you can binded you kind pull them out and make thread holds ] in your ironing borad.
I have some hooks like you are thinking but they don't go in the holes - the end is too long. I'm thinking they might have to be bent.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:29 AM

Default Trash to treasure repurposed..

This thread rack, was an old CD casette cabinet, quite narrow and not very useful..EXCEPT.. for my thread! A friend put pegs in a thin board & placed in the back..together we figured the spacing & tilt of the peg.
That round thing is the turntable from an old TV,a new top & I have a cutting mat that spins! for almost free, and those things are expensive. Repurpose is good!
Attached Thumbnails thread-rack-052.jpg  
Old 03-16-2013, 04:56 AM

My DH is very handy also. I bought 2 night stands a Salvation Army and he made me a sewing table like on the Sew Many Ways blog. I used antique wood thread spools that were his grandmothers to make the drawer pulls. My ironing board is on my grandparents dresser from when they got married in '36...I could go on
Old 03-16-2013, 05:01 AM

I went to the Salvation Army and got a computer desk with a huge top and shelves underneath. Cut a hole in the top and recessed my machine. All for a grand total of $25!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 AM

I didnt have anywhere to store my rulers. I was hanging them from a metal shower curtain ring on the wall. We have a rental property and when we evicted the tenats they left most of their belongings. In their stuff I found the perfect ruler holder. Dont have a clue what its really for, but it works great for my rulers. I do know its meatn for babies or baby related activites.