Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Trash to Treasure thanks to DH

These units are department store display units that were being thrown away at one of DH's jobs, and bless his heart he thought of me. The shelves pull out on heavy duty ball bearing slides, and there were 3 acrylic divided boxes with them. (It never ceases to amaze me what gets thrown away, but that's another rant :) ) I'm running out of space here to put stuff, but managed to find a corner for them :lol: Now I have a place for lots of thread and the fabrics we've pulled for projects, and they're all in one spot. WooHoo!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Lucky girl :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh I'm so jealous! what a great thing! Lucky you ...great find! Hope you gave DH a big hug!!! LOL

Don't you just love the free stuff? Looks so organized.

lin
    You are a lucky girl. What I wouldn't give for some neat storage like that! It's amazing what winds up in our landfills that could otherwise be put to good use! :cry:

Those are great! Sometimes I wish I had a pickup truck, having to pass up great finds. That looks like a great storage solution.

Izy
    Those units look like they were MADE for the job!! What a clever husband you have salvaging them for you - pat him on the back!! :D

Wanna trade hubbies for a couple days? lol

What a great find. My father used to work for the trash company before he retired and he got great stuff all the time that had been thrown away. We used to call it the trash of the day. Boy I sure do miss that trash of the day. You never knew what he would get.

Blog Entries
    What a smart, loving man!

We have a neat dump site here. The guy in charge puts anything that is usable on the side and you'd be surprised at the stuff my hubby and I bring home. :oops: I have a beautiful drop leaf dark wood table in front of my fireplace right now! Have NO idea what I'm going to do with it but just couldn't let it sit out there in the weather! I have it covered with a blanket so it won't get scratched. The cat is sure going to miss it when I move it though! It's now his favorite place to lay cause he has a great vantage point to watch ever move I make without even lifting his head! :lol: You should hear him holler and paw at the window now that I can sit outside on the deck and read or sew. :evil:

How cool is that?! Great score! I hope you thanked your hubby appropriately!!! :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That's awesome!! I love recycling!! Give him a hug from all of us!! :D

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    great shelves and they look perfect for your quilting supplies...the shelves do look a bit empty though so maybe you need to do some retail therapy??
    My husband also brings home things like that so i am lucky too..

My son works at lowes............I better put a bug in his ear.......that is super great........better than the sawdust glue stuff

My Dad used to come home with more than he took to the dump. Now you go to a tranfer station.......and boy do you pay. lol :D

Wow! :shock: Works perfectly. Very "green" of you too! Reuse and recycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
    My son works at lowes............I better put a bug in his ear.......that is super great........better than the sawdust glue stuff

My Dad used to come home with more than he took to the dump. Now you go to a tranfer station.......and boy do you pay. lol :D
    My husband won't let me go to the landfill. Once we took some stuff and another guy was there looking through stuff and I joined him. We found a whole box of GOOD scissors and divided them. Part of them were barber scissors and some were for cutting cloth. Then I found a small brass thingie that I polished and filled with potpourri.

Its nice to have someone in your life that thinks of things 'outside the box' to help you. My husband does the same sort of thing when he 'finds' something that will organize/help in my creative interests.

Those are great. My hubby and I are going to redo my quilt room and I'm always looking for new ideasfor storage.

Your new storage area looks amazing. Great job. At our dump there are signs telling you not to take anything. It's really crazy to me, as I'd love a big old tire for a tire swing. Or worse yet all the metal that people pay the county to take that they should have sold to a recycling company which would have made them money! Ah well... can't change people I suppose.