Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Traveling Machine >

Traveling Machine

Traveling Machine

Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 AM

I have a lightweight Brother CS6000i which has 60 stitches, uses low shank or snap on feet. The only annoyance is the default needle position is on the left and I have to remember to set it to center (01) or right (37). It may be reprogrammable, as apparently some Brothers can be reset. It comes with the extension table, case (no latch), and many feet. I think it's crazy to spend a lot for a machine and have to buy these items as add-ons. I bought mine used from another quilter about 5 years ago. They can be found new for about $175, refurbished for about $100 (try overstock.com), also AllBrands. I think JoAnns has them on their website. Don't fall for the supposed list price of $350. I use a cane and this machine is light enough for me to tote around. I've had fellow quilters help me carry my gear in to meetings and are surprised to find my tote bag weighs much more than my machine. They of course have the super expensive delicate heavy high end machines, and at least 2 bought a Brother for traveling. Mine has tipped over in the car twice- no problem.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Featherweight!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:39 PM

I use a Janome Jem. Love it. It is light and I take it to my quilting classes with ease. Sews great, has a few extras that I have not used but to piece and ew in class it is great. Got it online, inexpensive.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM

I have a Janome 3160 QDC and love it. It only weighs 12.5 pounds and all the features I could want. I really am enjoying sewing on it.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:21 PM
gus

I have the Janome Jem for travel and it is very light
Old 04-01-2012, 04:31 PM

I love my Brother portable. It weighs about 10 lbs, came with the extended table and all the quilting presser feet, including the walking foot. Easy to use and goes with me everywhere. I can't tote my Singer Rocketeer, it weighs a ton!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:01 PM

You all have been very helpful! My mom just gave away a FW to a niece. I think I will offer to buy her another beginner machine and trade her for the FW. If that doesn't work, I am on the hint!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:18 PM

Just a warning - once you're used to a Bernina everything else is... Well, not the same. After trying two different Janome's for classes, guild sew-ins, etc., I gave up and got a lightly used Bernina Activa 240. Definitely not a light machine, but at least lighter than my "regular" machine. And I love it - perfect stitches, runs quietly, feet and bobbins interchange with my other Bernina, etc.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 AM

I think this is good to remember. I am a Viking/Husqvarna type gal. I just bought a new machine last fall and bought another Husqvarna. I spent hours and used them all. It seems like when you get "used to" how a brand operates it is sometimes difficult to transition. Or I am older and don't want to change! LOL

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Just a warning - once you're used to a Bernina everything else is... Well, not the same. After trying two different Janome's for classes, guild sew-ins, etc., I gave up and got a lightly used Bernina Activa 240. Definitely not a light machine, but at least lighter than my "regular" machine. And I love it - perfect stitches, runs quietly, feet and bobbins interchange with my other Bernina, etc.