Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Traveling sewing kit? >

Traveling sewing kit?

Traveling sewing kit?

Old 08-14-2019, 04:35 PM

Default Traveling sewing kit?

When you travel with your projects. As you working in the car how to you keep the project from falling off your lap?
Old 08-14-2019, 05:36 PM

Use a pillow or cushion.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

I get motion sick if I try to work in the vehicle.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:33 PM

I have done epp on buses, trains and planes. Often in those vehicles there is a small table I can use. I keep my supplies in a small tote (smaller than the plastic shoe boxes). I generally am the driver in a car, so I do not have projects for the car.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:15 AM

I try not to have larger projects in the car when traveling and I keep a folded over sewing kit that contains pieces I am working on. I usually am working on a hand piecing quilt. I make sure I have cut enough pieces before I leave on a trip. Long trips will have as many as 1000 pieces cut. Pieces for a GMFG or for a DWR are Ideal to travel with. Another one is Drunkard's Path blocks. Curves and hexi's are great travel projects. If I have a top that I am quilting I will bring with me a smaller quilting frame and a larger tote that contains the already basted quilt top. Keeping the majority of the quilt in the large tote with my sewing kit of needles, pins, threads and 2 pair of scissors and thread clippers along with beeswax for the thread will keep me busy for hours on end. A pillow does help to stabilize my hands while stitching. My preference are the smaller projects so I can see just what I have accomplished along the way with ease. Always a smaller tote for supplies when traveling. The larger tote only if carrying an already basted quilt. (not often). With the larger projects I find I do not need a pillow to stabilize my hands.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

I usually reserve small hand sewing for travelling by plane like applique or small hand piecing, hand embroidery or EPP. I keep everything in a quart or gallon size zip lock baggy. For applique and EPP I usually have it prepared to the point that I am just sewing small units together so all I take out of the baggy are the pieces being sewn together and the threaded needle (if embroidery it would be the loaded hoop and I have a small one that I use for most projects). The baggy usually contains small scissors or thread snips that are allowed on planes, spool of thread I am using (or floss if embroidery) a small scrap of felt that is acting as a needle case that has extra needles and a few pins, fabric units already basted (for EPP) or cut out and stabilized with freezer paper (for applique), small hoop for embroidery if that is the project, and strong glasses. The bag is usually in my purse.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:17 AM

Like feline fanatic, I do the ziploc bag method as well, and usually just take a doll quilt that needs binding or hand stitching if I want. The main thing is to make sure I've threaded several needles ahead of time because I absolutely can't thread in the car or on a plane. I keep all the little notions in an eyeglass case inside the baggie as well, so nothing sharp pokes through.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:27 AM

I get real car sick if I try to do any kind of craft. I can't even read a map while traveling
Old 08-16-2019, 03:16 AM

That is the least of my problems, since I am the driver! Tee-Hee-Hee. I only dream of sewing while traveling and retrieving those hours in the car.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:33 AM

Gladly, I'm able to continue my projects while on the road.
You'll need a nice flat pillow to place it on your knees, and it works if the road is smooth enough. If not... well, just trying to keep everything handy and not falling in the cracks of the seats and console or under my feet would be a problem for me. Try to take small and hand sewing projects with you, unless you have an RV when you can place a sewing machine. Store your supplies in a zip bag and put it in a car door pouch.