Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tried putting binding on by machine >

Tried putting binding on by machine

Tried putting binding on by machine

Old 08-27-2012, 04:51 AM

I do some by machine,, you have to be very careful not to pull on the quilt as you are sewing the binding on or you can stretch it, I have done that very thing.. Jenny Doan has a great tut on sewing on the binding. Go to missouristarquilt.com
she has lots of tutorials so you have to scroll through them..
Old 08-27-2012, 06:26 AM

I sometimes have to sew binding on totally by machine; Quilt for Kids organization requests machine sewen binding. Some time ago I found a tutorial posted here on Quilting Board that was wonderful! I use the method exclusively, both for sewing binding to front & hand sewing to back and machine sewing binding to back, fold over to front and using a decortative stitch to sew to front of quilt. Can't find the tutorial when I did a search, however this link if very similiar. The only difference is in the method I use the quilt is not taken out of machine at each corner, but the folding of the binding is exactly the same.

http://fingerlakesart.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html
Old 08-27-2012, 07:19 AM

I have had luck with a binding foot brought from www.amazon.com
Old 08-27-2012, 07:22 AM

Have you tried sewing the binding on with a walking foot? It helps with the pulling and moving of fabrics.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:35 AM

I like doing my bindings by machine! It takes practice like so many things with quilting. Just go slow and don't expect it to look perfect the first few times. If I am doing a quilt for a show, then I do it the by hand way. Otherwise, for kids quilts, table runners and place mats, I do them all by machine.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:35 AM

I can't get the corners to look pleasing when I do the machine stitching ...................................sheesh......... .......so I machine stitch one side and hand stitch the other..............calla
Old 08-27-2012, 08:09 AM

I always hand sew mine. I just can't get used to the way the machine sewn ones look. That's one trick this old dog isn't interested in learning!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 AM

Attaching binding by machine is a three step process. First, stitch along the edge of your quilt, in just far enough to "catch" the layers (1/8 " or so). Then make sure you don't have any irregular sections outside the stitching. Next, lay your double fold binding on the backside of the quilt and stitch it down using a 1/4" seam. Lastly, flop your quilt over to the right side and with your binding to the edge of the stitching, stitch "just inside" this stitching (barely inside) and you will have a very neat top stitch that looks as well on the backside!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
Have you tried the new way with the flange? It's really neat. Do a search for flange binding.
She's right...the flange makes all the difference. Here is a tutorial I found on this board and I used it to machine my binding front and back...not only does it look GREAT but it was easy and accurate. I'll never do a binding any other way.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ge-t77821.html
Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 AM

Didn't notice it mentioned here .. but when i've opted for machine stitched binding - i always make my binding wider so that i don't have to combat the "bump" ... then used a walking foot and blanket stitch ...on the front side it shows out about 1/4" from the binding seam. They were kids' quilts and i wanted to get them done quickly and make sure they stayed bound.