Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trimming blocks to same size due to user error :) >

Trimming blocks to same size due to user error :)

Trimming blocks to same size due to user error :)

Old 05-07-2015, 03:27 AM
Power Poster

You need to find out where you went wrong first. Seam accuracy and pressing are two demons that can wonk your blocks. Look at the back and measure your seams to see if you need to improve on your seam accuracy. I use blue painter's tape putting about five layers stacked.

When you make different blocks to be put together into making a larger block, it is important to measure each of them and make any correction before you sew them into the larger block. If you snowballed the "X" block, maybe try drawing a line. You really need to be absolutely accurate with drawing and sewing the line. I use this product from Omnigrid to mark the lines on any acrylic square to check myself for accuracy:

http://www.joann.com/omnigrid-glow-l...+Select+Stores

With busy prints that you have selected, no one will notice that any points are missing.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:17 AM

Accuracy is the key ultimately. But that being said, I might be tempted to either put a small border around each (maybe 1" wide) then trim all the blocks to the same size. Sashing might help if they are close. If you chose to sash them you could also stagger the blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519051[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails snap.jpg  
Old 05-07-2015, 05:24 AM

I think they look great! The trimming instructions you got are spot-on; preserving symmetry is going to be important.

That's going to be a lovely quilt when you're done, I do hope you post pictures! I see some lovely fabrics in there.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

Good trimming advice given here. I would contemplate redoing the ones that are off. Rip and restitch. I have been known to hand stitch to make blocks come together when all else fails.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:29 AM

I love your blocks! The idea of using a plastic square the size of your smallest block to ensure that they will all be the same size sounds good. Often when we receive blocks in a block exchange, they are not the same size and we have to use the smallest block as our template.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:19 AM

I think it depends on the type of block some have points and you can very well be trimming off of point. With your blocks I believe if you trim evenly from the center of the block it should be no problem. The better option in my opinion would be to take those blocks apart and redo them to get better at you piecing skills if you are new to this the only way to get better is practice. Practice is what makes you more consistent because trimming down is not always an option so you can't always rely on that with every block IMHO
Old 05-08-2015, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
This is a much more concise description than I would have written. It's exactly what I would do. You can master this..be patient with yourself.
This is the answer and so well put. I've found myself in the same situation and probably will in the future. Your blocks are very pretty and you'll have a knockout quilt.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:37 AM

I have this happen often, so what I do is find the center of the middle block and put the middle measurement on my template on that spot....then I square it to that by cutting two sides and then turn it and repositioning my template, cut the other two sides. If you have a rotating cutting mat, it goes faster.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:41 AM

The object is to get them all the same size. What I do, is take your block & ruler and measure from the same point on all 4 sides. 1st side go to the edge of block and trim straight across, then til you have a straight edge, next go to a seam on your block ,( I would use seam of 1st block on cross/t) bottom block is your red/green .Take a measurement from seam to top of edge you just trimmed, then do the same measurement on the other 3 sides. Hopefully you will get it straight and correct, maybe not 7 1/2 , just be sure you do the same for all blocks.