Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trip to Lancaster (Amish) >

Trip to Lancaster (Amish)

Trip to Lancaster (Amish)

Old 10-06-2011, 03:19 PM

This is on my Quilters wish list too...someday. And I can add that May is a very good month to visit that part of the country - not too hot and not too muggy yet.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:33 PM

just got back from PA with my fellow quilting friends from out of state. we rented a house in Lancaster. I agree with the others, stay out of down town, and stay closer to intercourse, bird-in hand, etc. many quaint hotels, B&B's. you'll be happy you did. have a blast, I know we did!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:44 PM

There are many hotels in the lancaster area. Don't stay in downtown Lancaster. Try Bird in Hard or Intercourse, PA. If you do a google search of the area you will see that there is alot to do. I live about an hour away, maybe we can meet for lunch or shopping. Good luck planning your trip.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:58 PM

Maybe you will want to book something for the first night, but then definitely go out and just drive around. There is a little tourist information center that you can stop at and pick up some flyers of places to visit. It is a wonderful place to shop, eat and just enjoy the people and scenery. We have a travel trailer so I can't tell you much about the hotels or motels. Take the Straussburg train ride. We just did that this summer and it was relaxing and pretty. Every few miles there is a quilt shop, fabric outlet or general store. May can be warm, but not like the summer months. The farmers will be working in the fields and there will be lots to see.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM

My friend & I drove from Canada to Lancaster, PA last year in October. A beautiful 7 hr drive....we thoroughly enjoyed it. We stayed at the Eden Resort & it was perfect for us. Just wanted to share & also to say we are planning on returning Oct 2012! Yaaaaay, only one yr away! We're so excited...there was so much we didn't see.
Maureen
Old 10-06-2011, 04:19 PM

We just came back from the area yesterday. We go twice a year. We always stay in Shillington, it's pretty central to the places we like to go. We stay in the Best Western. They have a nice free continental breakfast. There is also a very nice diner that serves really good food next to the motel. Have fun wherever you decide to stay but for sure do some exploring.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 PM

Lancaster was my mother's home town, I still like to go and visit. There are lots of things to do and see there. The touristy stuff is all on the northeastern end of the area. Harrisburg is the closest airport. For things to do and see, you might want to check out PaDutchCountry.com as that is the tourist board website for that area. There are lots of B&B's and you might be able to hire a driver to take you around if you aren't comfortable driving.
May is a good time of year to go, as spring in central Pennsylvania is just lovely, lots of flowering trees and shrubs.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:15 PM

DH and I took his parents, his sister and our son to PA to see "The Miracle of Christmas" at Sight & Sound Theater. We stayed in a 5 br, 3.5 ba house for $200/night. It was a home away from home http://www.vrbo.com/186870. So, don't know how many are in your party, but thought you might like to see this option.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:05 AM

Eden Resort is a fabulous place to stay--so clean and comfortable. Only about 15 mins. (by car) from the area of where the "quilting fabric" is located. Be sure to stop at Zook's for fabric. Kitchen Kettle is a great place [no quilting fabric there but the greatest ice cream (Lapps) that you will ever put in your mouth.] Zooks is just a few steps away, as well as other places on the main street.

A great convenient Bed and Breakfast is the O'Flaherty's Dingledein House. Great breakfast and also helpful in giving directions for getting around in the area. Sauders is a huge place for fabric but is located out in the country. They have some great "buys" on fabric. Zooks is a "sister store."
Old 10-07-2011, 03:07 AM

I was in Lancaster last month. My quilt guild has a retreat there every fall. We stay in Ronks at the Amishview Inn. It's very nice and convenient to Intercourse and Bird-In-Hand. A little pricey if you just look at the room rates on line, but I'm sure there are discount rates through AAA, AARP, etc. Be sure to take the bus tour of the Amish country - it is well worth your time - so interesting and enjoyable. Ronks is close to Zooks, The Country Store, and not too far from Souders (may 10 miles). You will need a car though. Also recommend eating at least once at Jenny's Diner.