Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Lancaster (Amish)

I live an hour from Lancaster, and I have stayed at the Marriott that is connected to the Lancaster Convention Center. It is very nice. Make sure you get to Intercourse, they have great fabric shops. Zooks and The Old Country Store are two of my favorites. As a matter of fact I am headed up there today. Intercourse is about 30 minutes from the Marriott. Great outlet shopping also. Have a great time.

I always check trip advisor for reviews on hotels restraunts and attractions, plus...send for a travel guide for the area

http://www.padutchcountry.com/travel...avel-guide.asp

I live about an hour from Lancaster and we go camping there frequently and never get tired of it. I know you will have a great time in Lancaster no mater which of the wonderful suggestions you decide to do.

Wouldn't it be great if all of us close enough, could meet up for lunch and spend some time together and with our friend from across the big pond? The biggest problem would deciding where to go, as everybody has thier favorites they want to show off. But I think we could work that out.

Your probably overwhelmed with suggestions by now, but I'll add mine anyway. A nice place for lunch that we like more than the buffet at Shady Maple is Dienners in Ronks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mimistutz
    Wouldn't it be great if all of us close enough, could meet up for lunch and spend some time together and with our friend from across the big pond? The biggest problem would deciding where to go, as everybody has thier favorites they want to show off. But I think we could work that out.
    Great idea.

Blog Entries
    We were in Ireland last year!!! Love love love your country! We were in the southern part of the country because our son was there for his study abroad. I was disappointed we didn't have enough time to head north. Maybe next time!

We live about 45 minutes from Lancaster and took a drive around and visited shops last month. Soooo much fun! Bring an extra suitcase! If we lived closer, we would put you up and give you breakfast and send you out for the day!

Can't advise you on lodgings. The Harrisburg airport is close to that area. In fact, a couple of the shops we visited were close to the airport. From the Philadelphia airport, it's about an hour and a half drive to Lancaster, traffic permitting of course.

Have a fabulous trip!

We flew into Philadelphia and then drove a good distance to Lancaster - but the ride was scenic and very nice. We stayed in a smaller Country Inn hotel which was very nice and allowed for day trips to Strasburg, Intercourse, Hershey, etc. We traveled to the Amish country to attend the The Day Out With Thomas The Tank Engine in Strasburg and although over ten years ago, it was one of the best vacations we had. On our way back home, we had time to visit the Liberty Bell and the U.S. Mint before boarding our plane for home. Great restaurants in Lancaster too. Have a wonderful trip.

Blog Entries
    Just came back from Lancaster and would not stay downtown at all. we stayed at the econolodge at that was at the end of the strip. Just make sure you bring extra luggage for bringing home fabric like we will be doing. Lots of wonderful places to see.

Ohhhh, I want to go to that area one day!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't get away that far right now but it's on my Bucket List. Hopefully, it won't be too far in the future. Probably spring or fall would be the prettiest!

I live about 40 miles from Lancaster...8 miles from Harrisburg. I go to Lancaster regularly for quilting supplies, fabric and fun. I usually go to a quilting retreat there twice a year also. This is the link where we have our quilting retreat. I would stay here instead of in a hotel for a better taste of the local area and history. the hospitality of the owners is wonderful: http://www.whiteoakbnb.com/

You will definitely need a car to explore. Lots of rural areas and places you won't want to miss. Please feel free to PM if you have more questions and I will try to help. I will be in Lancaster in the next week or two and I would be glad to gather some brochures and info for you and send them to you, if you wish.

I am sending you a picture of a famous fabric store (not the norm, mind you)...just something you need to see. All we do is shake are heads! You are going to love Lancaster!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everyone is right. Do not stay in downtown Lancaster. Intercourse would be a great place to stay. There are lots of B&B's in the general area. Many quilt shops on the back roads so be sure to rent a car and just go and have fun

Blog Entries
    We were in Lancaster Co., in 1999. We found a motel in the little town of Intercourse called Harvest Drive Family Motel and Restaurant. It was located on a slight rise overlooking the farmlands of the Amish. Outside the rooms was a deck where they had placed chairs and tables where you could watch the sun go down and as it got dark watch the Amish go about their nightly duties tending to their livestock. There were no electrical lights, only karosene lamps that moved about their property. It was quite a seen to behold. I wish I could go with you, maybe one of these days we will make it back there in our motor home.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlys
    I also hope that you plan to spend a bit of time in Harrisburg & Hershey. There are lots of fun things to do there!
    Be sure and hit Intercourse, it has one of the top quilt shops in the United States. It is fabulous. Edie

A few years ago, along with sis-in-law and her husband, my husband and I took a 3 week trip with our campers. Visited battle grounds and various historial sites. We camped a few days in Lancaster County. Would love to go back and spend more time. Out of the huge back window in our camper was a field. We watched an Amish woman and her two sons harvesting their hay. She was driving as team of four horses while the boys threw the bales on the wagon. Fascinating area.

Are there real auctions there where you can get Amish quilt tops??? Or is that just an advertising ploy? Seems I read something about a firehouse that has the auction? Does anyone know when they are or anything about them?

[quote=vburr]I live about 40 miles from Lancaster...8 miles from Harrisburg. I go to Lancaster regularly for quilting supplies, fabric and fun. I usually go to a quilting retreat there twice a year also. This is the link where we have our quilting retreat. I would stay here instead of in a hotel for a better taste of the local area and history. the hospitality of the owners is wonderful: http://www.whiteoakbnb.com/

You will definitely need a car to explore. Lots of rural areas and places you won't want to miss. Please feel free to PM if you have more questions and I will try to help. I will be in Lancaster in the next week or two and I would be glad to gather some brochures and info for you and send them to you, if you wish.

I am sending you a picture of a famous fabric store (not the norm, mind you)

Which fabric store is this picture from? I'll be there next month and would like to see it.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    We stay in a Lancaster B&B.The breakfast is so yummy & owners are nice,friendly ppl.
    If you know QVC...shopping network on TV,they have a factory outlet in Lancaster. The Bird in Hand area is nice.Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Quote Originally Posted by newjeepgreen
    A while ago I asked advice on trip to Amish country. My travel agent has given me some dates and flight destinations but would like your input again. End of May 2012 fly to Newark and then fly to Harrisburg. Arriving Harrisburg18.46. can anyone tell us what is best way to travel to Lancaster and if you would recommend Lancaster Arts Hotel or Lancater Marriott Hotel . As Lancaster seems hard to get to is this the best way. This is first definate enquiry we have made but want to know if you good folk think is sounds ok before we book anything. Many thanks in advance...Vi
    A group of us go there yearly and we usually stay at the Best Western Village Inn in Intercourse. Go to their website, they often have deals. It is very central. The rooms are clean and you get a menu from which to choose a free breakfast every day. They also give you a discount in the restaurant, right there. for any other meal. The thing I love most is that they have a washer and dryer available for the guests to use, (free)so I can bring less clothes and have more room for fabric!! Our group of 8 has stayed there every year for the last 5 and we don't even want to try anyplace else. Good luck. You will be there right after us so I will tell the other women to leave some stuff for you!!

Let us know when you are coming! I live 2 1/2 hrs. away and would love to meet up with you.

Perhaps a big "meet and greet" is in order.

I agree I would not stay in the middle of Lancaster that's for sure . On Rt. 340 , Rt 30, and Rt23 and there is alot of other nice places. You should check about the B+B's too.

this is a great site to learn all about Lancaster and you can order a visitors guide

http://www.padutch.com/

Don't forget York and Gettysburg. York is 1/2 hr. From Lancaster and gettysburg is about 30 med west of York. A beautiful and historic area

Vbrr
    This just has to be Obie's, right? :)

And, if not, for anyone going to the Lancaster area consider a side trip to Obie's which is in East Earl, PA. It's not that far from Bird-in-Hand, Intercourse, etc. Maybe about a 1/2 hour drive. Obie's is just down the street from Shady Maple & there is also another fabric store on the same street. The 1/2 hour ride is pleasant & beautiful if you take the "back" roads. Absolutely beautiful country out there!

Make sure you go to Zooks Fabric's in Intercourse!

Blog Entries
    Zooks Fabric in Intercourse is wonderful. You will enjoy Lancaster and Intercourse. A lot to do and see. Nice clean motels at good prices. We just drove in and found plenty of motels.
    Virginia in TX

Love Lancaster! DH and I went last August. I took everyone's advice here. I wrote down all the fabric places you mentioned. After we went there I crossed them off my list. I bought to much fabric but am ready to go back again.
    We waited to book a room until we got there. There are so many places to stay that there was no problem at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast