Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Trip to Mary Jo's In Gastonia NC

Blog Entries
    Well Denise I finally got to hit MaryJos this afternoon. I got way to much, but had a blast picking things out for certain projects I have going. I got some of those civil war prints, but I don.t think any of them were the same as yours, but close. My wallet is saying, boo hoo, but my heart is happy. I got some flip flop print, small print calicos, and some coordinating Marcus prints for a purse. I'm not leaving til the weekend so hope I don't get tempted to return for some of those Aunt Grace prints, lol.

Is this a famous quilt shop? Gaston, NC, is one of the worst animal shelters in the country. Any dog or puppy that is shy or black they call unadoptable and kill in their gas chamber. They kill up to 90% of the animals that are brought in or found. I wish the people in the area would demand that the shelter is even slightly humane.

Sorry, I just saw the name, and that shelter has made me cry many, many times. I have done dog rescue (I am in NY, and bring pups and dogs up from high kill southern shelters) and I hate Gaston.
    Peace,
    nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
    Well Denise I finally got to hit MaryJos this afternoon. I got way to much, but had a blast picking things out for certain projects I have going. I got some of those civil war prints, but I don.t think any of them were the same as yours, but close. My wallet is saying, boo hoo, but my heart is happy. I got some flip flop print, small print calicos, and some coordinating Marcus prints for a purse. I'm not leaving til the weekend so hope I don't get tempted to return for some of those Aunt Grace prints, lol.
    Good for you. We are planning on going again in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat P
    Okay what can I say, I went to Mary Jo's a second time. DH drove 60 miles out of his way on the way back from Seagrove where less that 300 people live and 100 of them are potters! Got some blenders,(a lot) some African print fabric, some notions. Did far more damage to the pocketbook but it is all DH fault, he kept saying "go ahead get what you need!" (NEED) right! He's been good to me for 46 years (Oct 9).
    I have a similar story. I live in CA, but had heard so much about Mary Jo's. So while visiting our daughter in Greensboro, talked her into taking us all the way down there. Took a long time to get there, but boy, was it worth it. I brought a lot of fabric back from there. My DH has been good to me too, for 48 yrs now. Anyway, great place to shop!

I will be there on Monday too !!! Probably between 2:30 and 3:00. PM me with a time you think you will be there, maybe we can meet. Have a safe trip.

Quote Originally Posted by nancylee
    Is this a famous quilt shop? Gaston, NC, is one of the worst animal shelters in the country. Any dog or puppy that is shy or black they call unadoptable and kill in their gas chamber. They kill up to 90% of the animals that are brought in or found. I wish the people in the area would demand that the shelter is even slightly humane.

Sorry, I just saw the name, and that shelter has made me cry many, many times. I have done dog rescue (I am in NY, and bring pups and dogs up from high kill southern shelters) and I hate Gaston.
    Peace,
    nancy

Mary Jo's is located in Gastonia, NC. It's a very well known shop. I've never heard of Gaston.

Blog Entries
    You will have a great time. I was there last week. My son and his family live in Clover, SC. which is about 20 minutes away. It is a must stop for anyone visiting nearby. Enjoy!!!

(THEY)are not ready for you 3. Have a blast.

It's the same place. I hate that the people in the area don't do anything about that horrible animal shelter. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just get sick when I hear that place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nancylee

Peace,
    nancy
    Instead of putting us down, come down here and help us fight. We ARE fighting it! The use of th gas chamber has been banned. They are currently using injections. I personally know of 5 rescues that pull adoptable dogs and cats out of their on a daily basis. There is only so much we can do without the state support. Gaston is a poor county. 30% of the people are either unemployed or underemployed. There are only 5 Animal Control officers, 360square miles, mostly rural. Usually only 1 officer covering the whole thing most weekends. The Animal League of Gaston County and many local rescues are at every board meeting. We are currently trying to eliminate tying out your dog. We helped get it passed in Charlotte, we'll get it passed here too!

Have the facts!!

lucky you , only went there once but loved it.

Blog Entries
    Going to Mary Jo's soon. Visiting our son in Charlotte NC, pasted the shop on the way in - Oh my heavens, my car wanted to make that right hand turn right now! I am trying to have patience but just want to go now. My DH jokes about the house smelling like thread ! But he likes the quilts I have made so I think I should have a great time. Picking up backing fabrics for a queen size and god only knows what else.

Banned
    Man - do I envy you and your friends.
    First learned of Mary Jo's from Nancy Crow years ago.
    For those Board members like me who can't get there, she has a wonderful on-line selection and service.
    http://www.maryjos.com
    Last edited by gollytwo; 04-06-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: to add web site address

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6