Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Mary Jo's

:oops: Embarrassed to say, we have lived in Easley SC for 24 years and head for Penna at least once a year , sometimes three, and have never stopped at Mary Jos. When we have visitors from out of state, I never think about what a nice trip that would be for my family of quilters. We go past it and I know where Cox Road is located on I-85.
    Thanks for bringing it again to my attention. Maybe this year my sister from Calif will be willing to wear out her legs and go with me. She is 76 and likes to remind me she is ten years older than me. Great seamstress and quilter. We have a van so we will have plenty of room for fabric :twisted: :D Yep, the devil might make us max out our charge cards. :roll:

I have been reading messages for a long time and, just today, decided to join. I live in Newport News, VA but DH is from NC and we have been to MaryJo's several times. If I am not mistaken, she started out in the back of a store and now I think she owns the entire shopping center. Everyone's comments are true--the fabric is so color coordinated. They are also very helpful on-line/over the phone. The sales people are most courteous and my on-line order arrived quickly. It is definitely a place to go, if possible, or visit her website and order.

Thank you Rhonda for the eBook. I can hardly wait to make my first block.

Quote Originally Posted by Nell
    Hi, Ninnie!

Can you recommend a good place for lunch? My husband and I are going over to MaryJo's from Ohio in the near future. Can't wait to visit MaryJo's!
    There are several places right near, A great steak house in the front of the shopping complex and also several places across the street, so you won't have to go far. We usually eat at the steak house , since Dh goes with me. You will need a partner just to carry all the bolts of material. DH is good about doing this for me, since they don't have carts in the store, just baskets, which you can pick up at the safme time you get your tickets. The workers are very nice and helpful , and they hava a large selection of books and notions also.
    Go on line and take the virtual tour and you won't be quite so over whelmed when you get there.
    You will have to post pictures of all your pretty finds when you get back! :D

Ninnie

Thanks about telling us they only have baskets , no buggies.
    Neither of our darling husbands can walk that good.
    Also like someone referred, check out stock and eat then buy

I live about an hour give or take from Mary Jo's - if I lived closer it would be bad news for my pocketbook!
    I live in Asheville (home of the Biltmore House) its not far from Gastonia but not a direct route! We have some nice quilting shops but not like Mary Jo's!!

Thank you very much, and have a great day!

Hi
    I live in Concord NC sew I go to Mary Jo's quite often you won't be disapointed it has every thing you can think of . & it huge have your long list ready
    prices are reasonable
    enjoy Sharron

Thanks, Ninnie! Saw the tour . . . very impressed!

Thank you, also, Sharron!

Mary Jo's is well worth the trip! Plan on staying quite awhile to be able to see all that is there. They don't use grocery store type carts, rather they use baskets. Many people "tuck" their basket of goodies under the cutting table as they cruse for more bolts. Enjoy, enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    My daughter lives in Gastonia, 2 blocks from Mary Jo's. I am going to Mary Jo's next Monday! I always make a whole day of it. Shop there all morning, go to lunch, and then finish the afternoon back at Maryjo's . Have you visited on line? www.maryjos.com I try to limit myself to about 6 times a year! Take your time looking, it is a little overwhelming at first. Have a great time! And of course, buy, buy, buy!

Ninnie
    I tried www.maryjos.com but was told it isn't a web site.

JoanneS[/quote] I tried www.maryjos.com but was told it isn't a web site.[/quote]

Maybe you mis-typed it the first time. That's the web-site. Just checked it out to make sure it worked.

PQ

I tried to get in last night also. It seemed that their server was down, but is working now.

Try clicking this link:

http://www.maryjos.com/

Blog Entries
    Thank you LC - it worked today, and I saved it to Favorites. Good site!

You're welcome! Now .... put away the credit card !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I find the site difficult to negotiate, and is certainly no example of the store. The store is just plain FUN !!! I've never shopped the website.

Hi! Is there still an outlet for sheets and bedspreads in Easley? We used to frequent there when we lived in Marietta, GA.

farscapegal
    Hi! Is there still an outlet for sheets and bedspreads in Easley? We used to frequent there when we lived in Marietta, GA.
    Yes it is still there. It is called Hall's. I live about 7 miles from there.

Sybil

farscapegal
    Quote Originally Posted by oops
    :oops: Embarrassed to say, we have lived in Easley SC for 24 years and head for Penna at least once a year , sometimes three, and have never stopped at Mary Jos. When we have visitors from out of state, I never think about what a nice trip that would be for my family of quilters. We go past it and I know where Cox Road is located on I-85.
    Thanks for bringing it again to my attention. Maybe this year my sister from Calif will be willing to wear out her legs and go with me. She is 76 and likes to remind me she is ten years older than me. Great seamstress and quilter. We have a van so we will have plenty of room for fabric :twisted: :D Yep, the devil might make us max out our charge cards. :roll:
    Hey oops are you part of the Picken's quilt guild?

Sybil

Hi, Ninnie!

Can you recommend a good place for lunch? My husband and I are going over to MaryJo's from Ohio in the near future. Can't wait to visit MaryJo's!
    There are several places right near, A great steak house in the front of the shopping complex and also several places across the street, so you won't have to go far. We usually eat at the steak house , since Dh goes with me. You will need a partner just to carry all the bolts of material. DH is good about doing this for me, since they don't have carts in the store, just baskets, which you can pick up at the safme time you get your tickets. The workers are very nice and helpful , and they hava a large selection of books and notions also.
    Go on line and take the virtual tour and you won't be quite so over whelmed when you get there.

Ninnie
    Sounds fabulous, but very puzzled. I have fibromyalgia, and usually fill up a shopping cart in fab stores, so I can go sit at patterns and pick thru, so I won't spend the lights, grocery, etc. money.
    There's no way, hubby would...well, he can't now, (disabled), but I wouldn't want him with me in a fabric store...I'd get next to nothing. Either his moans, or bc I can't think with his sighing etc.
    My puzzle is, why don't they have carts?

Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    Hi, Ninnie!

Ninnie
    Sounds fabulous, but very puzzled. I have fibromyalgia, and usually fill up a shopping cart in fab stores, so I can go sit at patterns and pick thru, so I won't spend the lights, grocery, etc. money.
    There's no way, hubby would...well, he can't now, (disabled), but I wouldn't want him with me in a fabric store...I'd get next to nothing. Either his moans, or bc I can't think with his sighing etc.

I don't know why, but that is a good question. I need to find out. When you go, the place is always busy, but so large it never seems crowded. They may have exceptions, motorized carts and so forth, but I just don't know. I'll try and find out!

Hay QC, see how well I follow directions! I learned how to do the quote thing thanks to you!

Ninnie

My guess is that there just isn't room for fabric, people and carts. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have trouble maneuvering, but have no problem at Mary Jo's. You can choose your fabric and then bring the bolts to the nearby cutting counter, and "stack" them. When you're ready to be cut (or before) the wonderful ladies will be happy to oblige. Then, if you find you need more, you can just add to your cutting slip. I'd rather have more fabric than room for carts!!! :lol: :lol:

I have e-mailed Mary Jo about accommodating those who need the support of carts or chairs and will post her answer when I get It! :D

I'm sure they make some kind of arrangements, I just don't know what they are.

Ninnie

Hi, Ninnie!

Ninnie

I don't know why, but that is a good question. I need to find out. When you go, the place is always busy, but so large it never seems crowded. They may have exceptions, motorized carts and so forth, but I just don't know. I'll try and find out!

Hay QC, see how well I follow directions! I learned how to do the quote thing thanks to you!

Ninnie
    thanks for the answer, and I am so proud of you, ninnie, bout the quote...you done good! I would love to visit Mary Jo's sometime if that were possible with our health and budget. Looked at website for a minute, but had to go, before I could sink my teeth into anything. looks yummy! :wink:

Thank you, Sybil! Have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
    My guess is that there just isn't room for fabric, people and carts. I have rheumatoid arthritis and have trouble maneuvering, but have no problem at Mary Jo's. You can choose your fabric and then bring the bolts to the nearby cutting counter, and "stack" them. When you're ready to be cut (or before) the wonderful ladies will be happy to oblige. Then, if you find you need more, you can just add to your cutting slip. I'd rather have more fabric than room for carts!!! :lol: :lol:

Got an answer from my e-mail and here is what it said: No shopping carts because of room, but they do have carts that they use for stocking, and if someone needed one to lean on etc: they would be glad to provide it. Also if group is coming, you can call ahead and they will be glad to help in any way they can.You can call ahead and the # is !-800-629-9100

This is not a fancy quilt shop with all the trimmings. This is a place to buy the same material at much better prices. The quilt shops that I have been to, have 20 or 30 blues to choose from. Mary Jo's has hundreds to choose from, just an example. That is one of the reasons it takes so much longer on line to shop there. When I go I am in the Zone, there to buy as much material as I can with the money I have! It's serious business for me folks! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So hope this has answered some of your questions. Oh and by the way, I do not work for Mary Jo's. Just sharing the love of Quilting! :D

Ninnie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast