Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble with my Featherweight >

Trouble with my Featherweight

Trouble with my Featherweight

Old 04-28-2011, 06:01 AM

I'm really hoping I can get some help with this that I can do at home...

I'm going to try to explain my problem and see where it gets me...I may need to take a picture to show exactly what the problem is...? Let me know if my description makes sense.

Where the motor turns the belt, there is a little piece that the belt fits on. This little piece then fits on to the..."axle"(?) that comes out of the motor, the axle turns the piece, which in turn rotates the belt which makes it sew.

That little piece (the one the belt is on that goes on the axle) is the problem...when I am sewing, it gradually moves off the axle. The way that piece and the axle fit together, it has to be on all the way to sew properly. When this piece moves, the axle doesn't catch it, doesn't turn the belt, and doesn't sew. I am continually pushing that little piece back in place when I use my featherweight.

I don't know if this is normal for a featherweight?? I almost feel like there is a piece missing or something, that should be holding it in place.

Any ideas???

(again, if my description doesn't explain the problem, I'll take pics to show you exactly what I mean...in fact, I think I will just go do that now...)

Thanks in advance!!

Where I'm pointing is the little piece on the "axle" (if that's what it is called... lol)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]190255[/ATTACH]

See how it comes off? I suspect it is supposed to be ABLE to come off, but feel like it shouldn't be doing so on it's own...like there should be something that holds it in place during regular use...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]190258[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-190249.jpe   attachment-190252.jpe  
Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Deema, you may want to pm Billy (lostn51) or Charlee. They would probably be able to help.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:09 AM

I had a problem with mine and someone here gave me Dave Mc Callums name. He was great to work with.
www.featherweight221.com.
I hope you get your baby going again soon.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:19 AM

it is probably too loose. It shouldn't come out of the track by itself. maybe you need a new belt--it could be stretched too much.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:21 AM

It isn't the belt that is coming off...it's the little piece that the belt fits into...
Old 04-28-2011, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Is that little piece made of rubber? I'm thinking you may just need a replacement for it.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:55 AM

There is a little set screw that tightens the wheel to the motor shaft. Is it missing? if not is it tight? Don't know if this makes sense or not. I just checked my Featherweight and it does have a little screw in that ring.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 AM

The little screw is in the belt track on the "ring" that keeps coming off. Remove the belt from the "ring" and place the ring back on the motor shaft, then use a small screw driver to tighten the little screw. If the little screw is missing, you will have to replace it. Then put the belt back one. If it is too tight to put on easily, loosen the motor mount screw and replace the belt, then retighten the motor mount screw, with the belt not too tight, just firm.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
There is a little set screw that tightens the wheel to the motor shaft. Is it missing? if not is it tight? Don't know if this makes sense or not. I just checked my Featherweight and it does have a little screw in that ring.
That makes PERFECT sense and no, I don't have a screw on mine! Thank you!!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by deema
Originally Posted by featherweight
That makes PERFECT sense and no, I don't have a screw on mine! Thank you!!
You are very welcome... Hope you can get the screw soon and be on your way.. :thumbup: :thumbup: