Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In trouble. Need ideas to help use these up! 2.5" strips >

In trouble. Need ideas to help use these up! 2.5" strips

In trouble. Need ideas to help use these up! 2.5" strips

Old 10-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

If you want to make something dramatic try this: A Carlene Westberg pattern called Supernova. http://carlenewestbergdesigns.blogspot.com/
Old 10-30-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by dlsnaples View Post
So many great ideas. Jelly rolls are quite versatile for quilt making. Justflyingin, do you like to make Chinese coin quilts? They lend themselves nicely to scraps.
I don't mind Chinese coins--and certain can use these for a few of those as well!
Old 10-30-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Their are lots and lots of quilts that could be made with your scraps. Look for scrap quilt books. Google them and see the endless possibilities.
That I know. I was looking to narrow the possibilities down a bit as I can spend literally hours and hours looking. So, when I see personal recommendations, it helps narrow down the options a bit.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If you want to make something dramatic try this: A Carlene Westberg pattern called Supernova. http://carlenewestbergdesigns.blogspot.com/
I definitely will try this one. It's nice. My scraps aren't so dramatic, but I like the angles.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
You could always get a neutral and make 6 1/2" scrappy nine patch blocks. It's amazing how many great quilts start out with small nine patch blocks. You also need to get a few of your quilt buddies together and issue a challenge to make a quilt using these blocks. Everyone could make one for themselves and your little group could make one to share with someone in your community. It would be a win for everyone. Scraps wouldn't be wasted, lots of warm hugs would be created and you'd have a lot of laughs and share some wisdom along with fabric and quilting ideas.
This looks like a really good idea. I have had success making scrappy log cabins of various sizes. bbacked with flannel they make great lap quilts, with pieces of fleece led warmers while one watches TV and even great big queen sized quilts for kids beds. Happy piecing.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Wow Judi in Ohio, that is one of the most spectacular split 9P layouts I have ever seen. Love it!
Yes I agree and would love the basic directions. Do you make a nine patch and then cut it on the diagonal?
Old 10-30-2014, 01:32 PM

I don't know if someone has already mentioned Liz Katsuro's website (http://jellyrollfabrics.com/). She has even written a free jelly roll pattern book. I found her one day on the internet.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
I agree with Cedar. I made one of these and it goes quickly and is fun to make. Once you get used to what you are doing it's a matter of making accurate cuts. (Ask me how I know! )
I finished that one earlier this year. This one is 96x96 and it's currently on my bed.

Attached Thumbnails 07-2014.jpg  
Old 10-30-2014, 03:02 PM

I don't know if anyone already suggested this bit I used up a ton of my scraps & strips by making a wreath. Just take one of those wire frame wreath forms that Michaels, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby sells. Cut your strips into 6 or 7 inch pieces. Then tie each piece onto the frame, using about 4 yards to finish each wreath. Just a single tie no need to be fancy As the fabric strips fill the frame the wreath gets nice & fluffy & quite pretty. Best of all you feel so good about using up your scraps.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by zennia View Post
Here is a good pattern to use them up. Aliligirl here on the board made a real pretty one. Look hers up. here is a link to the pattern

http://www.brandysquiltpatterns.com/ChicletsFree.pdf
OOhhh....I really like that Chiclets pattern. This will be going onto my bucket list. Thanks for posting the link. I, too, have lots of scraps, but not as many as shown by justflyingin!