Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In trouble. Need ideas to help use these up! 2.5" strips >

In trouble. Need ideas to help use these up! 2.5" strips

In trouble. Need ideas to help use these up! 2.5" strips

Old 10-29-2014, 08:27 AM

<cite class="_Rm" style="color: rgb(0, 102, 33); font-style: normal; max-width: 95%; white-space: nowrap;">The following site is a GREAT use of strips, so easy, so fast and you can make many sizes for many projects!
Hope you try it and enjoy as much as I have using this pattern!
i have given you an Internet siye, however you can find more if you input Sonja's Windows Quilt Pattern on a search!

www.quiltsfromtheheart.org/patterns/sonyas-windows-strip-block.pdf</cite>

SONJA'S WINDOWS. 1. Sew together assorted print 14" strips (a variety of widths , or all the same) in random order to make a 14" square. If necessary, trim to 14" ...
Old 10-29-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post

I've been wondering what you've been up to--now I know. I would like to give this block a try. Just used neutrals and blues to make the quilt quick in EQ, but a scrappy look can be used. Like a log cabin it can be turned to get a new look to the quilt. This is a 10" block, but add another pair of logs for a 12" block or as many pair to get the size you want .
Thanks for all the pictures! They are perfect and fantastic ideas!

What I've been up to was .... 2 weddings this year.

My son got married earlier (in June) so we went to the states for college grads in May and stayed for the wedding in June, then we came back to Poland, and my DH's dad died on July 4 so he abruptly returned to AK for the funeral and stayed to the end of July. That left more for me to deal with here in Poland. August was quiet, but I went back to the states Sept. 22 til the middle of Oct. for my daughter's wedding. I arrived and made her bridesmaids dresses because the girl who was supposed to do it wasn't doing it. Since there were only three and I was getting there a week early, I told my daughter to not worry--I would just do it.

But I also had time to finish up two tops I took with me to the states "just in case I had time".

They are here.

This was a bargello made of 100% recycled materials purchased here in Poland. I quilted it while I was in the states on a borrowed Pfaff--the same one I made the bridesmaids' dresses with--nice machine--older, but not a huge throat--doable but not easy.

The backing was a cotton duvet cover by Ralph Lauren, also purchased at a charity shop in Greenville, SC.

I had previously made my sister a commissioned quilt (to be used as a door prize at a ladies' retreat in September). The retreat was held right before I flew out to the states for the wedding (I took the quilt over in a carry on in May). My sis said it was such a hit that she wanted another one done for 2015's retreat. I asked her to choose from some tops I had already done. I stuck three tops in my carry on for them to choose from. I managed to get it quilted (by me) in the states too. It's ready for the ladies' retreat, 2015.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
The first thing I would do is set up an ironing space in front of the TV and start ironing them and separating them into colors......time consuming, yes, but it gives you something to do during the lengthy commercials. For me, this alone would provide endless inspiration realizing that they not only can be used, as is, for quilts but that the 2 1/2" strips can be cut down into 2" x 2" squares for single and double Irish chain quilts,
Not necessary. I have a bag and a half of 2" strips. I can use them to cut up into 2" squares. I also have a bag and a half of 1.5" strips. I still have more scraps to cut up too. I spent about 45 min. this morning working on it. I'm trying to do the equivalent of a Walmart plastic bag full a day--sometimes I can't get that much done, though--cutting down, sorting into strings, crumbs 2.5", 2", and 1.5". I find I don't really like the bricks as well.

Oh...but we don't have a tv so setting up the ironing board in front of it and ironing isn't going to happen. I do have a tablet that I can get Netflix on, but there are no commercials that way. But I'm adding to these bags daily...

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I do do charity quilts--tons of them. Last year I probably finished 50--we give them away ourselves to the area needy. In fact, I had a girl contact me on FB two days ago and she's going to come get one on Sunday.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:03 AM

How 'bout a "French Braid quilt"....love love love these!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by w1613s View Post
Oh, the bags took my breath away! I seem to be enchanted by 2 1/2" strips. I learned to piece using Seminole piecing methods and strips are very much a part of that. Another thing about SP is that you don't have to have a specific project. Fabric is pieced in what amounts to wider strips and those strips have no particular length - they end when you quit piecing that particular set of smaller strips. You can use your new, wider strip in conjunction with other wide strips you have made or roll it up and save it for use later. Some rolls I have seen go on for what seems to be miles. And, at least parts of them, can be kept as an archive of color, placement, prefrence, etc.

My first pieced strips are hanging in my sewing room. Horrible, unSeminole colors. Huge patterns. But pleasing to me. Funny, some good points (literally) and some not so good.

One thing I like about piecing with this "sew 'til you quit" approach is that I seem to just like sitting down to the sewing machine and simply sew. No project. Just me and the machine and the threads and fabrics and the peace and all the "possibilities" for sewing, color, shape, use, etc. running through my head.

I just erased a tale of what happens in the house when I just sit and sew. Much shortened: My children, now that they are married and have homes of their own, finally told me that my "just sew" time gave them feelings of peace and security. All was right with their world. All of our cats for all the years (46) (Ye gods! So many?!) appeared in my sewing room. Everyone had/has a spot and there they stay. Even as tiny kittens. But for some cattish reasons, they actively want to be there.

Think about "just sewing." You don't have to SP. Try manufactured fabric. Make blocks. Or just blobs that can become blobs.

Oh, your bags took my breath away!

Pat

Pat
I often get in the "just wanna sew with no plan" mood. That is when I tend to sew strips together. But I like to sorta know where I'm going when I finish a few hours of that.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:06 AM

Your Hexie quilts are fantastic!

But it's not going to happen from these...but I do have a ziploc bag full of hexies I'm working on...sorta. Yours are all beautiful though!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:34 AM

The "giant dresden plate block" on fave quilts.com is nice
Old 10-29-2014, 12:23 PM

I made a star quilt using blue scraps . I used a 8-1/2" fabric base, starting in the diagonal (center). 4 blocks for the center of the star, then I used 4=== 8-1/2" square of white and 4 ==squares of the scrappy blue, right sides together and mark a center line on the diagonal, sew 1/4" on each side of the line,this is also the cutting line which makes the star points. You do have to trim the center blocks the same size of the points. Cut 4 white blocks the size of the rest. For the border you can make 4 more scrappy blocks. Cut the white the same size of the finished blocks.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Oh Yes Byrdwoman, a French Braid would be great too. Lots of color. I also liked the suggestion of pressing them while watching television. I had a bunch of machine stitches to take out, and two weeks ago got them all done during a movie.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I've been cutting up some scraps.

These are each 120 liters (approx. 30 gallons) trash bags. They are full of either 2.5" strips or subcut into 2.5" blocks already.

I realize than any jelly roll patterns would work, but do you have any fantastic ideas for using these up?

I just saw a "Beach Ball quilt" that someone posted here. I'll put that on my list. I can pull coordinated or contrasting strips from these bags. I have plenty of white or off white to use.

Any pictures or names of quilt patterns that use primarily 2.5" strips or squares would be appreciated.
Arkansas Crossroads is a butiful pattern. http://w
ww.craftsy.com/project/vie/arkansas-crossroads-scrap-quilt/5110

I made each sixteen patch a different colour family, and used off white for the background and it looked great!

I honestly knowknow how to spell beautiful, but I can't seem to get back there to correct it on my tablet!