Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
trouble with piecing/keeping end of seam straight >

trouble with piecing/keeping end of seam straight

trouble with piecing/keeping end of seam straight

Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
Thanks so much everyone! I'm not exactly sure how to use the stiletto, but I'm sure I will figure it out.
Just hold the stiletto in your hand and guide the fabric along with it...also, a little trick I read about for this problem...when you get to the last bit to stitch, just put your finger against the side of the foot and push in a we bit....it prevents the fabric from sewing crooked...try it...
Old 07-27-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
My blocks and quilts are always "skewed" outward at the corners. When I am sewing strips together, or sashing onto the quilt, no matter how much I pin, when I get towards the end of the seam, my fabric won't stay straight and I get a bit of a curve at the end of a seam. It must be the way the feed dogs work, because I have pinned the pieces straight. Hard to explain. Does anyone have a solution for this? (Assuming I was able to explain my issue.)
My machine is Janome Memory Craft 6600.

I noticed this on my Janome 6600 but now use a stiletto for that last inch. Makes a whole lot of difference. (Yes if you don't guide it it seems to veer to the left.) You don't need to spend any money because lots of things can be used as a stiletto. Kabab stick works just fine.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

Making sure you keep holding the fabric at the end helps too.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
I don't have a stiletto, just use a big wooden sate stick and leaders and enders....saved me lots of frustration when I was a beginner.
I use a chop stick rather than a metal stiletto. If you want it sharper use a pencil sharpener but a blunt end gives more pressure.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Fan View Post
I use a chop stick rather than a metal stiletto. If you want it sharper use a pencil sharpener but a blunt end gives more pressure.
Besides the enders and stiletto, try putting the last pin parallel to the fabric edge at the end of the fabric--but far enough away from the edge so that you don't remove it until AFTER you finish the seam. This method does a nice job of keeping the fabrics from slipping and is very quick.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 PM

Keep your left finger on the left side of the foot when coming to the end of a seam. It works.

Could you explain this to me? I have my left hand on my fabric to the left of the foot and my right hand on the fabric in front of the foot. Do you mean keep my hand on the fabric but close to the foot? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Power Poster

When I come to the end of the seam I put my finger against the foot as shown. No veering at all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]485293[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1-photo-9-.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 04:55 AM

Thank you onebyone for the picture. Wasn't sure where on the foot to place the finger. I too have the 6600
and have had this problem. Would use a leader (to prevent fabric being pulled into the hole) but rarely the ender (as
I didn't realize its purpose) so will try it and the finger placement now. Good question!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:03 AM

I get this problem too, especially when I'm sewing longer pieces together.

I solve this with an extra clover clip. I do my clipping along the seam (which is to the right as I'm sewing, of course) and then I put one last clip along the bottom of the fabric, about an inch to the left of where the seam will be, so it can stay there while I sew those last few stitches and not get hit by the presser foot.

For shorter pieces where I'm not doing any pinning/clipping I usually just hold it in place like in Onebyone's photo.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

sounds like a lot of good advice, that is what the quilting family is all about to me, helping one another