Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True cost of making a quilt, part 2 >

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 AM

I make quilts for customers & 'labor' is absorbed within the total price I charge (what people consider 'reasonable' averages about $3.50 ph, they'd simply not afford 'minimum wage' pricing).
A quick 'real value' estimate is to charge about $5-6 per square inch, which seems very expensive. Local LAQ's now charge $3-4 a sq. inch. That leaves a quilter to add another $2-3 square inch for the design/piecing/ materials & labor will receive $8 ph for their labor in the total cost.
A wall hanging that's 40x56 generates $425 at $8 ph and $270 at $3.50 ph.
Quilting really is expensive! And, profit is near impossible. The rules of supply/demand prevail.
Just like other artists...only a few make it to earning a living doing what is loved.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:39 AM

I usually make lap size quilts and will easily spend $100 for fabric, batting, and thread. For the amount of time it takes, I find it's worth buying the best quality fabric for quilt projects. If I'm purchasing fabric for a sewing project, where an item will only be worn for a year or two, then I don't mind buying lesser quality fabric on sale. But, for my quilt projects, I expect them to last throughout the years, so I'm less concerned about saving money on the fabric.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:14 AM

I am making an Underground Railroad Quilt and I have easily spent 100 just on fabric for the blocks and putting it together that doesn't count my time,batting and backing

Teresa
Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom
I'm like you Weezie. I might buy fabric for one quilt then get several more out of the scraps. I keep combining till i get down to tiny scraps(1 1/2") then i pass those on to a friend that will use them.

It's not always that people don't understand what goes into a quilt, They just can't justify the expense. Personally , i wouldn't pay hundreds or thousands for a quilt. Not because i don't think they are worth it-I've seen many that are- I simply don't have the funds for that type of purchase. That transfers over to other items i buy also. i can't justify spending $$$$ on a stove, for example, when i know one for $$ will do what i need.

If I spent what others here say they do, i could not afford this hobby or anything else for that matter. some here must have very deep pockets.
Both of your statements are true. Most of the time, most of us can't afford the "top of the line" anything--so we settle for less--something more in line with our pocketbooks. A few can afford the best.

I've been working on a bunch of scrap quilts this year--so far have 10 quilt tops ready to make up into quilts--but have two or three more tops I'd like to finish before I go into the actual quilting mode. It is hard for me to figure out the cost because I do have so much donated to me (nice problem, I know) and I have bought "lots" on ebay which make it almost impossible to figure out what one piece costs.... I also buy sheets for backing at the used clothing store locally (I'm in Poland) for my charity quilts--that costs about $5-6.

But I'm also not making "heirloom" quilts.

However,
I am working on a special one for my niece which has cost more--one combining her love of cats and books and purples--and I'm loving it. I had to buy some batik fabric to help bring it together, but it is really nice. I think it was when I spent this money on a bit of that fabric that I began to realize how expensive it could be--searching for special cats and books fabric on ebay. But I've spread that particular project out over a few years, so it's not too bad as an average.

I think what I'm trying to say is that because I've had so much fabric donated, and I don't just buy retail price, I'm probably spending way less than most on a quilt, just because of my situation. Otherwise, I couldn't afford to make charity quilts.

However, I do just LOVE to sew. There is something so therapeutic about it. I'm glad I've gotten back to sewing after so many years of not sewing while raising kids--but now down to the last two who are now teenagers, so it's not so bad.

I'm not criticizing anyone for any amount they spend. I do think that quilters are some of the most generous group of people that exist--(well, maybe OTR --old time radio-- fans may rival them, but there probably aren't as many of them), and as so many have said, there is nothing harmful about creating something beautiful with a sewing machine.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
I think I want to go into denial. I don't want to keep track. :shock:
Me too!I tried it once. Takes away the pleasure of making the quilts for me.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:17 PM

I just started quilting again after many years and I have NO stash. I made a queen size quilt top. The material for the top alone was about $70. The batting I bought later and it cost $25. Now I am waiting to buy the backing. If I use muslin I am hoping to only spend approx $30, but if I buy something other than muslin it will be more. Since I am on a strict budget I have to buy in increments which really keeps me from sewing more, which I would love to do.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:57 PM

It is amazing how much our quilts cost us. A few years back I made a Jenny Beyer's Moon glow quilt. I think the block of the month was like 365.00 for the top. Then I bought on sale the backing so that would of been around 60.00. Plus I bought some more black so I could increase the borders and make pillow cases. so probably around 60.00 again and then I had it long armed and I think that was around 250.00. So that came out of 745.00 with no thread included. This was my most expensive quilt I made and I will never give it way. It is really beautiful.
The last few years we have been going south so I have been buying most of my fabric down there. Good fabric in Sask can run from 16.00 to 24.00/meter.

Fay in Saskatchewan
Old 05-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

I just did a quote to lady for making a king size DWR ring with traditional quilting.
$1,200!
Fabric, thread, batting alone cost $335!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Most of the fabric in my stash was purchased for garments and I have changed my mind about making it and so I'm using it in my quilts... when I bought the fabric...
1. It was discounted because I worked at the store so I'm clueless as to exactly what I paid
2. Was given to me because the person wasn't sewing anymore or was clearing out their stash.
3. If I was recently buying for a specific quilt pattern I buy on sale or with % off coupons... don't keep track of cost.
4. The one quilt I did purchase fabric all at once at the LQS cost over $250. This doesn't include having it quilted, batting or binding.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:38 PM

I just spent $225 and some change on batiks to make Judy Neimyers Amazon Star. That's a first for me but I really wanted to have coordinated fabrics for it and the batiks were 15% off that day. I won't be working on it yet because I have a Double wedding ring in progress. I'll be using a wool batting King size so my cost that'll be another $31.20, and since I'm a longarm quilter if I factored in the quilting that'll would be a job worth nearly $400 or more depending on the design I choose..a rough estimate of total cost inc quilting would be $650.00 ish..good grief I'll never let that quilt see the light of day
I can imagine my dog leaping up on it..