True definition of a Stash >

True definition of a Stash

True definition of a Stash

Old 06-25-2019, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I must have enough "stash" to make quilts for about 200 more years
Me, too! Dontcha love it!!
Old 06-25-2019, 07:42 AM

Same here plus I put myself on a "NO FABRIC BUYING" for a year. So far I've done well and started this last October. I did have to buy a couple fat qtrs to finish a quilt I'd already started before putting myself on this no buying kick and it was only to finish the border of this quilt so I'm not really counting it as such. Otherwise I haven't had to buy thread, needles, batting, fabric or patterns. I have enough future projects still sitting on my project shelf to keep me busy for yet another year without buying fabric. Plus I have 12 quilts that need quilted too so that will take time. Of course I've been working on projects outdoors that has been making my credit card scream but that's at an end too. Have purchased all materials for the outdoor projects to keep me busy into the Fall season. My stash is quite generous plus last summer I cleaned up a bit around here and sent 7 brown grocery bags full of good sized pieces of fabrics to our local thrift shop. Didn't seem to make a dent in my stash. I'm now going thru all my fleece and will be taking what I don't want/need down to the thrift shop in the next week or two. I know I have at least 3 large totes upstairs in the spare closet to go thru plus 3 more under my quilt frame. Will keep what I think I can use to make up a bunch of ponch type jackets for the ladies at my congregation to where when they turn up the A/C too high for us.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:49 AM

Why is it though that with all the fabric I have, so often I need "just one more piece" to tie it all together??

I'm really trying hard to use up my stash, but the project I'm cutting today was one fat quarter short of what I needed, or more exactly (5) 4.5x8.5" rectangles. Went all through my stash and couldn't find enough stuff to work. Went to the stores hoping for a fat quarter. No love but i found a half yard that while isn't perfect is close enough to perfect that no one else will notice that it isn't...
Old 06-25-2019, 08:02 AM

I think that's too restrictive a definition, because then what do I call the mass of fabric I have in my house, which has never been sufficient that I don't need to buy for a quilt? But I envy those of you with a real stash.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I agree--I try to start a project and find I need a co-ordinate so back to fabric store and really, really try to buy only the piece I need !
Old 06-25-2019, 08:29 AM

I prefer to say I am a curator of an extensive fine textile collection. Hoarder sounds so pejorative. : )
Old 06-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
<snip> A true Stash is one that has everything you need to make your quilts. You don’t have to go buy a single thing. <snip>
My stash has everything I need so I don't have to buy anything. That doesn't mean it has exactly what I want when I want it.

My definition of stash is much less restrictive. It's whatever you have on hand, no matter the size, quality, or age. It can fit into a drawer or overflow several rooms.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

The other day my sister gave me hundreds of dollars worth of gorgeous clothes that no longer fit her. She recently lost quite a bit of weight. I was horrified at her clothing loss but she just laughed and said " Who cares. I'll just buy more clothes". She's a bona fide clothes horse. But we got laughing because we all have our obsessions. With her it's clothes, with me it's fabric, and with my husband it's food!!! Our cupboards, fridge, spice cabinet etc are overflowing. We won't starve lol
Old 06-25-2019, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I must have enough "stash" to make quilts for about 200 more years
Me too. I can make lots of quilts without buying anything. I just bought 25 yds of backing fabrics to make it easier.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

I don't consider a stash of being a lot of fabric. I have lots of specialty tools and notions. I would rather have a new ruler then a few yards of fabric. I have enough quilt kits to make dozens of quilts if I run out of fabric.